NSMB - 2015 – Mountain Bike Thread (full suspension)

March 18, 2015, 12:30 p.m.

It is matte black, I got it done at Rainbow Powdercoating in Coquitlam. Cost for the stripping and powdercoating of the frame pieces and a tired looking set of XT cranks was $195. I dropped it off on a Monday and picked it up the following Thursday. Nice job, he masks all the bearing cups and holes. He has a lot of experience doing bikes.

Wow I would have thought it would be more, that seems like a good deal

March 18, 2015, 1:01 p.m.

That is super nice. What does it weigh as set up?

I have an Enduro 29 with s similar build and it weighs 28.5lbs with pedals. I have a few new parts coming in for mine so will post up once those are fitted with an updated weight.

Jon-boy.

March 18, 2015, 1:05 p.m.

It is matte black, I got it done at Rainbow Powdercoating in Coquitlam. Cost for the stripping and powdercoating of the frame pieces and a tired looking set of XT cranks was $195. I dropped it off on a Monday and picked it up the following Thursday. Nice job, he masks all the bearing cups and holes. He has a lot of experience doing bikes.

The bike looks good. I would have thought it to cost more as well.

I'll be keeping that in mind in the future.

March 18, 2015, 1:14 p.m.

I have an Enduro 29 with s similar build and it weighs 28.5lbs with pedals. I have a few new parts coming in for mine so will post up once those are fitted with an updated weight.

I've got an XL Comp that's been mostly re-equipped with super, Shore/big-guy friendly stuff but it's fundamentally a heavy bike. Other than saving 1lb for the carbon front triangle, maybe 1/2lb for some carbon cranks there isn't much weight to save on those 33lbs. I'm trying to justify the expense and effort of upgrading but I might just buy some cranks to satisfy my bloodlust and leave the rest alone.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 18, 2015, 1:29 p.m.

That is super nice. What does it weigh as set up?

Weight was 27.99 with tubes, no bottle cage, no pedals.

Tires are now tubeless, there is an expensive multi tool attached to the cage, and xt trail pedals.

28.5 sounds about right.

If you wanted to get one of these as light as possible there are weight savings to be had with the wheels, pedals, saddle, shock (don't change the shock! after one ride on the cc inline I doubt any of my bikes will ever have a fox shock on it again regardless of weight).

March 18, 2015, 1:54 p.m.

Maybe I will do the matte black on my Prime instead of a new bike…it looks friggin awesome, and to be honest I don't need a new bike. The Prime still kicks ass…I am just a whore.

March 18, 2015, 1:59 p.m.

If you wanted to get one of these as light as possible there are weight savings to be had with the wheels, pedals, saddle, shock (don't change the shock! after one ride on the cc inline I doubt any of my bikes will ever have a fox shock on it again regardless of weight).

Good to know. I'm already running tubeless but my wheels are Derbys on Hopes - not super light but the minimum weight they need to be to survive. Same with my saddle.

The three heavy things I run that I'm not sure I can do without are DX caged clipless, CCDBACS and 2.3 HR2 EXO tires. I killed 2 RP2s and one Inline already - I'm kind of stuck with the CCDBA; I think at my size I just need that extra oil volume pushing through bigger ports. I can probably shed 1/2 lb on cranks and 1lb on a carbon E29 frame without sacrificing anything but cash.

Though 33lbs is reasonable for a 29er that can handle any trail under a tall 220lb rider in Vancouver.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 18, 2015, 3:05 p.m.

You can't really weigh a bike like an E29 with Control tires. It's like weighing an Epic with 2ply DH tires.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 18, 2015, 3:37 p.m.

It is matte black, I got it done at Rainbow Powdercoating in Coquitlam.

i was afraid of that

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 18, 2015, 5:04 p.m.

Maybe I will do the matte black on my Prime instead of a new bike…it looks friggin awesome, and to be honest I don't need a new bike. The Prime still kicks ass…I am just a whore.

That would be cool. I've always liked matte black or raw frames. Who needs paint?

March 19, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

(don't change the shock! after one ride on the cc inline I doubt any of my bikes will ever have a fox shock on it again regardless of weight).

Can't say I'm as impressed with my DB Inline… It blows through the travel far too quickly [HTML_REMOVED] has no support in the mid-stroke. I've gone up from 1 large volume spacer (as per Cane Creek base tune) to 3 large spacers [HTML_REMOVED] it has improved things a little. I think I might need to throw another small volume spacer in there as well when I get fully up to speed on the bike.

Really impressed with how the Enduro 29 carries speed compared to the Stumpy Evo 29 that I've just come off. Turn in is also really keen [HTML_REMOVED] I'm finding that the higher BB allows me to pedal into sections that I wouldn't be able to on the Stumpy (lower isn't always faster). Its definitely not as accelerative as the Stumpy when you get on the pedals though. Its more of a 'diesel' on the climbs [HTML_REMOVED] lacks the urgency that the Stumpjumper had. I estimate weight around 29-30lbs with manly tires. Stumpjumper was closer to 28lbs.

Going from a large Stumpjumper to the XL Enduro has given me a front centre that is over 50mm longer, whilst only adding 15mm to the reach (35mm stem on the Enduro, 50mm on the Stumpy). The longer front centre is instantly noticeable on anything steep [HTML_REMOVED] is very confidence inspiring when pushing on. Wheelbase is only up 25mm, so the Enduro doesn't feel like a barge when compared to the Stumpy.

As you can probably tell, I did lots of geeking out on geometry when buying this bike [HTML_REMOVED] I'm pretty stoked with the outcome.

March 19, 2015, 10:31 a.m.

Get a Monarch Plus on there dude. Best suspension I've ever had.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 19, 2015, 10:35 a.m.

The lady's new rig. still a few tweeks to be done to it but she is away for a bit, so I am in no hurry. looks fun.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

March 19, 2015, 11:43 a.m.

Wow that's nice,

Nowadays….all the bikes are so lust worthy.

March 19, 2015, 1:32 p.m.

The lady's new rig. still a few tweeks to be done to it but she is away for a bit, so I am in no hurry. looks fun.

Nice, I really liked the Spicy when I had it on test. The rear end is really sorted and the monarch is a good match for it.

Jon-boy.