NSMB - 2015 – Mountain Bike Thread (full suspension)

Aug. 26, 2015, 10:58 p.m.

Took my Specialized Slaughter, basically same tire, out in the wet today for the first time. I've been so happy with this tire in the dry, but out in the wet today all the steep shoots felt like slides. Fun actually, but bit skeeetchy.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Aug. 26, 2015, 11:22 p.m.

Looking to upgrade my stock Shimano deore brakes on my Giant Reign 2 2015, looking at Shimano Zee and Sram RS guide. Any thoughts on both brakes would be appreciated, I ride the shore and take it to the bike park once a month. Also better to buy online from CRC or Jensen? Or from a bike shop locally?

Aug. 27, 2015, 7:03 a.m.

TBS has zee on sale right now FYI.

Aug. 27, 2015, 12:55 p.m.

Looking to upgrade my stock Shimano deore brakes on my Giant Reign 2 2015, looking at Shimano Zee and Sram RS guide. Any thoughts on both brakes would be appreciated, I ride the shore and take it to the bike park once a month. Also better to buy online from CRC or Jensen? Or from a bike shop locally?

Picked up a set of ZEE's (calipers/levers) for $215CAD all in from bike-discount.de a few months back when the EURCAD rate was much closer. I have them on my DH bike and they are awesome, more modulation than the XT's on my trail bike and more power when you squeeze hard. I checked a few local shops but the pricing was almost double, feel bad as there's no way they can compete with online, I wouldn't insult them asking to price match since it's probably above their cost.

Never tried Guides.

Aug. 27, 2015, 5:55 p.m.

I have the guide RSC and love them. The only thing I dislike is the lever adjust knob is not as quality as it could have been. It works and it hasn't broken or anything its just clunky.

Aug. 31, 2015, 5:34 p.m.

I ride saints which are basically the same as zees and I love them. I tried the guide brakes on a few of my friends bikes and i was really disappointed by how much effort it took to slow the bike down. They aren't terrible but they aren't in the same league as Saints and Zees. I guess i'm a bit spoiled.

Aug. 31, 2015, 6:55 p.m.

i have old school single piston Saints , ZEE,s and Guide RS and truthfully they all have good and bad traits , and i have to say even with a lever to the bars feeling with the Guides i like them the best , really good modulation . the ZEE,s and Saints have instant stopping power that i find gets me into trouble locking up the wheel and such . also the mineral oil gets thick when riding in subzero temps .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 28, 2015, 8:15 p.m.

Switched up to a large frame. Switched from XTR trail brakes to Guide Ultimates, very impressed with the power and modulation. Loving it so far.

Shed head!

Oct. 30, 2015, 6:48 p.m.

Bikes like that Norco are OK I suppose, but all must bow down to this:

Possibly….

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 30, 2015, 7:21 p.m.

The one advantage of the URT: easy SS conversion.

Oct. 30, 2015, 7:41 p.m.

What a pile of shite Will.

Have fun!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Oct. 30, 2015, 8:24 p.m.

What a pile of shite Will.

Have fun!

I saw your name and thought you'd be full of gushing compliments :lol:

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 31, 2015, 11:48 a.m.

Possibly….

RESPECT.

Shed head!

Oct. 31, 2015, 11:56 a.m.

That thing is nutty even by your standards will. Gonna SLAY the sea wall

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 31, 2015, 2:16 p.m.

Possibly….

That's awesome. I would proudly rock something like that.

I really like the frames from the pioneering days of mountain biking - both the early days and the beginning of the freeride-frenzy. They are crazy and unique.

They may not be great to ride as today's bikes but as a collectors' item they are wonderful.