NSMB - 2015 – Hardtail Thread

June 13, 2015, 7:55 p.m.

Master of Puppets

June 13, 2015, 8:27 p.m.

So here is my 'New' Chromag Surface.
I bought and built it up a few months ago, and have about 400kms on it to date. all local riding, nothing too crazy.. just a lot of XC type riding.
i went over to Whistler to try a few bikes, and pick up a frame, since there were a few in stock, so i gout to choose from colours in person. I was really stuck on frame sizes, between the M/L and the L. I got to ride a few bikes, including Ians personal bike, on a quick jaunt next to the shop and i decided on the M/L … mostly due to the bigger wheels. not sure if i would grab a large now, or keep with the M/L, but i love the bike and i love the fit and the big wheels

while i was tehre, i did the whole shopping spree, 30t n/w, new osx in red, new 60mm ranger in pewter, pewter seat coller and red grips. the frame i picked was pewter as well. but i was tempted by a nice blue. i wold of bought the orange … but i was buying off the shelf!

i used my brakes, drivetrain and hubs, with some new purchases to finish it off, including a fox 34 evo due to shrinking budget, but i got it almost for free, so i'm thinking an avalanche cartidge and i'll be good.

the deets:
Chromag Surface M/L in pewter
fox 34 - 140mm
cockpit: ranger stem, 60mm osx bar - full width for now … there are lots of tight trails, so i might take off 15mm a side. chromag grips at the other end, chromag moon / rockshok reverb 125mm

drivetrain - full xt build, plus a 30t n/w and a 42 wolfcreek cog, as i needed one and oneup was sold out at the shop… i have some deore mini-platform spds.

brakes, xt - 180mm f, 160mm r

i re-used my hope hubs, with new flow ex rims - tubeless - with a 2.35 butcher/slaughter combo for tires.

weight, no idea. it's not light, it's not heavy. i'm 187cm, 95kg no gear. it's also my only mountain bike, after selling my DH bikes. i currently have zero plans to add a fully bike to the mix right now.

June 15, 2015, 3:52 a.m.

Here is my superb do-it-all bike.
Not as fast fullsus bikes, but just as fun! And it rips on steep terrain!

Honzo 2014
Upgraded from stock:
-DT EX1501 wheels w/ Maxxis rubber
-Deore brakes
-Blackspire chainguide
-Zee rear der.
-KS Lev seatpost

June 15, 2015, 9:58 a.m.

Nice looking rootdown. I love mine.

June 16, 2015, 9:16 a.m.

Adding to the Chromag circlejerk..

My Stylus reborn with an AbsoluteBlack elliptical chainring, OneUp 42t ring, and OneUp RAD cage. It's been 37C during the day and still 28C at night around here lately though so I haven't ridden it much other than around the block a few times.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 17, 2015, 3:21 a.m.

Looks like one hell of a nice build. The more I see those 29ers, the more I want one. Strange, no?

Anyways, I will be off in less than four weeks, and am ordering a new rear wheel for my Stylus. Inexpensive DH rear wheel fit for QR.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 23, 2015, 2:58 p.m.

i am excited by prospect of having this bike reviewed with the surface as even an implicit basis of comparison!

Not a comparison, but a pretty thorough review of our new EPO on Freehub.

canfieldbrothers.com/pedals
Canfield Brothers on Facebook

June 24, 2015, 12:45 p.m.

Not a comparison, but a pretty thorough review of our new EPO on Freehub.

Looks like a sweet sweet ride. The review comes across as more of a marketing shmeel but that's not your fault.

Wrong. Always.

June 24, 2015, 1:22 p.m.

^i like the idea of that thing. wish the nimble 9 sported those numbers (i'm fond of the chrome steel, the f/c is just too short).

July 1, 2015, 1:54 a.m.

Hi there,

After years of not wanting to spend money on a dropper post I bought one. KS Lev Dx.

Incredible. One of those moments when you ask yourself….why not earlier.

The only question I have right now….how do I keep the saddle from having a little play?

Has nothing to do with the post itself but rather with the saddle clamping system. Help……

- Kristen Ulmer

July 3, 2015, 11:36 a.m.

Rode the Winterberg bike park for the first time. Hard tail kicked Ass - just needs a bigger fork. Rode all trails apart from the official ixs dh track.

I was always apprehensive of actually giving it a shot. Now I'm glad I did. Great and predictable handling. Well balanced on jumps. Soo happy. Soo stoked. Chromag. …I :heart: you.

Åre, Sweden, here I come.

That is all.

- Kristen Ulmer

July 9, 2015, 2:55 p.m.

anyone been on a 2015 honzo? numbers look intriguing; 65mm bb drop [HTML_REMOVED] long f/c. add a couple degree offset h/s, and this could be a beast. looking for a next level slack [HTML_REMOVED] slammed ht. would love me a BTR, but they be $$. never tried a 29'er, but it seems intuitive that the big wheels would yield the most capable enduro-able ht conceivable (with adequately silly numbers). the above canfield looks in the ballpark, but not at $2k…

July 9, 2015, 3:37 p.m.

anyone been on a 2015 honzo? numbers look intriguing; 65mm bb drop [HTML_REMOVED] long f/c. add a couple degree offset h/s, and this could be a beast. looking for a next level slack [HTML_REMOVED] slammed ht. would love me a BTR, but they be $$. never tried a 29'er, but it seems intuitive that the big wheels would yield the most capable enduro-able ht conceivable (with adequately silly numbers). the above canfield looks in the ballpark, but not at $2k…

Like this?

July 9, 2015, 3:43 p.m.

just like that, yes. how's it work? and what's the bb height?

July 9, 2015, 6:51 p.m.

The Honzo looks sexy but that massive seat tube gusset always looked a little like an erection to me. I'm a fan of a few curves so I've just finished building a Nimble 9.

Frame – 2015 Canfield Nimble 9, Large. AKA Blue Steel.
Rear shock - Not this time!
Front fork - RockShox Pike RCT3 140mm 29'
Wheelset - Nextie Carbon Rims with DT240 Hubs and SuperComp Spokes (front wheel to be swapped out)
Tires - Maxxis DHF 2.5 and DHR2 2.3
Handlebars - Raceface 35x800mm Sixc Carbon
Stem - 50mm Easton Haven
Headset - Cane Creek 40
Grips - Odi Vans in Brown
Saddle - Cromag Brown Leather
Seatpost - Specialized Dropper
Brakes - Shimano XT, with IceTec 180mm rotors
Cranks - Truvative Noir Carbon W/Absolute Black 32 tooth ring
Chain - Shimano XT
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT
Rear shifter - Shimano XT
Cassette - Shimano XT
Pedals - Shimano XT

The Nimble is a lovely ride. Dances through turns like a ballerina and moto’s across the rough like an MX bike. A BIG thankyou to Rob at Crankin.net.au for supplying the frame and rims and spending waayyy too much time answering stupid questions. It’s nice dealing with someone that obviously has the same passion for bikes as you do!

[ATTACH]10557[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10558[/ATTACH]