NSMB - 2015 – Hardtail Thread

Jan. 1, 2015, 7:34 p.m.

This thread is dedicated to the Hardtail Bike.

The Hardtail; the simplest form of mountain bike yet it can take on so many forms.

Use this thread to post up hardtails and discuss them regardless of wheel size, the number of chainrings or set-up choice.

Feel free to share some details on your set-up, weight or whatever makes it special to you.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 1, 2015, 7:34 p.m.

Reserved for my bike.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 1, 2015, 8:59 p.m.

Went old school with a couple of retro wheel size HTs.

InaCycle's (Bluto not installed yet)

Mine

Edit: fixed broken pic links

Jan. 1, 2015, 9:46 p.m.

Went old school with a couple of retro wheel size HTs.

I saw you on the beach that day walking our dog. Never heard of Framed so I looked them up. Cool Minnesota company, slick looking bikes.

Here are my two hard tails.

Super fun new ride. Gonna log a lot of KM's this year.

Will update the Chromag photo when I get a chance.

Shed head!

Jan. 1, 2015, 10:08 p.m.

Here's my On One 456 Summer Season. A very fun, steel 26er. May not be the pimpest build or prettiest colour, but it makes me smile every time I ride it.

18" frame
Marzocchi 44 RC3 TI 150mm
XT wheelset, brakes, cassette (with 40t Hope TRex), shifter. Zee FR and KMC chain
Raceface cranks, 30t NW, Saint pedals
Chromag FU40, Ranger 40mm stem, Squarewave grips
TMARS 110mm dropper with custom iSpec shifter remote, Raceface saddle
Minion DHF (soon to be switched to HR2), Spec Clutch SX rear (cut to roll better), tubeless

Also works great as my trail building bike with chainsaw on the pannier rack

Jan. 1, 2015, 10:14 p.m.

I saw you on the beach that day walking our dog. Never heard of Framed so I looked them up. Cool Minnesota company, slick looking bikes.

You should have said hi, everyone else does. ;)
(Don't get a fat bike if you don't like talking to people, everyone wants to check them out.)

That was our first ride on them. Talked to a local who said he had never seen anyone riding bikes on the beach before.

Jan. 1, 2015, 10:17 p.m.

Haha nice, just seeing the photos made it click. I recognized the bikes and the beach so now I know who the owners are. Next time I see you I'll say hi;)

Shed head!

Jan. 1, 2015, 10:49 p.m.

My current baby. This is my go-to bike in SoCal, mostly because it's so much fun.

In pieces in the garage right now, but it will be resurrected soon enough.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Jan. 1, 2015, 11:14 p.m.

Added KS i950 right after photo was taken. 26.5 lbs.

Jan. 2, 2015, 9:50 a.m.

2013 Kona Explosif

Love this bike.
27.5 wheels and 68 HT, it rips.
The raw steel finish looks great.

Upgrades:
- Tires: Maxxis HR II 3C
- Cockpit: Low rise 780mm bar. 60mm stem

Jan. 2, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

(Don't get a fat bike if you don't like talking to people, everyone wants to check them out.)

Lol, true. I rented a Specialized FatBoy this week in Whistler, and had to chat with almost everybody I saw on the trail.

Jan. 2, 2015, 12:04 p.m.

A quick snap on the way up this morning:

http://whishart.com/

I'll take a proper photo with cheer leaders and puppies when it's been resprayed and had decals installed (I chose a different powdercoater and it was a bit of a disaster).

Frame designed by me, and fillet brazed by Rob in East Van.
A few numbers and stuff:
650brah wheels
66 degree HA
16.5" chaintays which JCL will luuuurrve ;-)
24" TT
12.75" BB height.
27.5ish Lbs with 2.4" HR2 tyres.

I've ended up changing up a few things to combine new school handling with old school vibe - friction shifting with an XT thumbie, dropped the dropper (again….), BB7 cable discs that I always seem to come back to despite using 'better' brakes. BB7s are awesome if you set them up properly.

I'm totally stoked with the results. I'm still getting used to mountain biking after riding a 29er for a year (heh….) but this is waaaay more fun than anything I've owned in recent years.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 2, 2015, 5:32 p.m.

Stripped the Samurai down to frame and fork for a winter rebuild with some newer parts.

Posted the NS Surge in the 2014. Looking to install different cranks, bars, and stem.

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Endurimil/media/Bikes/imagejpg1_zps6c3ffc9f.jpg.html?sort=3[HTML_REMOVED]o=0

Also working on the Hardtail project for my daughter.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 2, 2015, 7:03 p.m.

Finally, a new bike.
Thru axles everywhere! No horizontal dropouts or offset frame craziness to make wheel removal a pain!
Absurd levels of fun

Jan. 2, 2015, 7:45 p.m.

Finally, a new bike.
Thru axles everywhere! No horizontal dropouts or offset frame craziness to make wheel removal a pain!
Absurd levels of fun

Love it. Might be my next bike if I end up in Alberta. I am slightly hesitant about pressfit BB, but I'd like to think that Surly knows what they're doing.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.