NSMB - 2015 – Hardtail Thread

Feb. 11, 2015, 12:10 p.m.

http://www.chromagbikes.com/frames/samurai#Specs

Chromag quotes the Samurai frame at 5.6 lbs using True Temper and Aircraft grade 4130. 6.6 for the Stylus.

So really it isn't that heavy and is noticeable. And if you told some one to ride it without telling them the actual frame weight they wouldn't even notice.

The On One Inbred frame I am running uses 4130 and don't notice the weight. Even though compared to a lighter XC frame it is heavy.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 11, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

:fruit:

Thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated…. :lol:

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 11, 2015, 1:22 p.m.

You can still find the singletrack on Ebay.

But I can't build a wheel…and no shop I know of would do it.

- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 11, 2015, 2:32 p.m.

So really it isn't that heavy and is noticeable. And if you told some one to ride it without telling them the actual frame weight they wouldn't even notice.

The On One Inbred frame I am running uses 4130 and don't notice the weight. Even though compared to a lighter XC frame it is heavy.

A pound is a pound.

Shed head!

Feb. 11, 2015, 4:39 p.m.

So really it isn't that heavy and is noticeable.

weight is one thing. ride quality feel is another. you might not notice a pound of extra frame weight - but you'd probably notice thicker chain stays, or oversized main frame tubes

And if you told some one to ride it without telling them the actual frame weight they wouldn't even notice.

again, maybe or maybe not - weight isn't just a number. you don't notice a difference in how your samurai rides vs. your stylus?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 11, 2015, 5:56 p.m.

weight is one thing. ride quality feel is another. you might not notice a pound of extra frame weight - but you'd probably notice thicker chain stays, or oversized main frame tubes

again, maybe or maybe not - weight isn't just a number. you don't notice a difference in how your samurai rides vs. your stylus?

I think part of it is that people who pick the Stylus tend to build it up beefier than they would a lighter frame. My Stylus has got thicker tubing than say my Surface, but it's still a much less harsh ride than my old SC Chameleon.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 11, 2015, 6:44 p.m.

But I can't build a wheel…and no shop I know of would do it.

Really?

I've worked in and with shops for a pretty long time now and I've never heard of a shop that wouldn't lace up a hoop for a customer that brought a rim and hub into the shop. Especially a nice guy like you Mic.

Be prepared to pay for our time to do the spoke calc if it isn't a combo we build regularly, but seriously: "thank you for your business" is the only thing you should hear other than maybe "next time you wreck it we would love the chance to quote on the replacement" followed by "happy trails" or the equivalent.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 11, 2015, 6:44 p.m.

Boom in that argument not based on weight. There is definitely a difference between the two but keep in mind that has more to do with geometry and what the two frames are built for. Stylus is more oriented to the 4X, DJ, DH, and more what the Brits would call Hooning on a hardtail. The Surge has a similar feel. While the Samurai obviously is less that and more shall we call it Enduro?

But the focus of this before the tangent was weight not geometry and as I pointed out barely noticeable. And using the surge as a example when I pick it up with almost identical build as my Stylus maybe it feels a little lighter. But then again that could just be new frame feel and simply in the mind. But in truth don't notice anything about weight while riding.

Speaking of the Stylus….currently in getting the top tube fixed. Will share details later.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 11, 2015, 7:14 p.m.

I had 2 Stylus and 1 Samurai over the years. I never should of sold any of them and the Stylus was a better ride. I can't figure out why, but I always felt more comfortable on the Stylus. When it's time to add another HT i will likely get another Stylus.

Master of Puppets

Feb. 12, 2015, 1:15 a.m.

Really?

I've worked in and with shops for a pretty long time now and I've never heard of a shop that wouldn't lace up a hoop for a customer that brought a rim and hub into the shop. Especially a nice guy like you Mic.

Be prepared to pay for our time to do the spoke calc if it isn't a combo we build regularly, but seriously: "thank you for your business" is the only thing you should hear other than maybe "next time you wreck it we would love the chance to quote on the replacement" followed by "happy trails" or the equivalent.

I'd _so _do it…if I had the chance. Seriously though, over here the shops in my direct vincinity are a bit, well, special when it comes to things like that. In my experience they rather order the new rim through their contacts.

Oh well, if the Mavic is bombproof (and I take King of Fasia's word for it) then it does not hurt me or my wallet if they get it and lace it up for me. They may earn a few extra bucks - all good with me, if you know what I mean.

I could go on and on about bike shops over here, but I won't.

- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 12, 2015, 1:28 a.m.

Boom in that argument not based on weight. There is definitely a difference between the two but keep in mind that has more to do with geometry and what the two frames are built for. Stylus is more oriented to the 4X, DJ, DH, and more what the Brits would call Hooning on a hardtail. The Surge has a similar feel. While the Samurai obviously is less that and more shall we call it Enduro?

But the focus of this before the tangent was weight not geometry and as I pointed out barely noticeable. And using the surge as a example when I pick it up with almost identical build as my Stylus maybe it feels a little lighter. But then again that could just be new frame feel and simply in the mind. But in truth don't notice anything about weight while riding.

Speaking of the Stylus….currently in getting the top tube fixed. Will share details later.

Funny, I'd rather think of the Stylus as a sort of "enduro-ish" frame, and not necessarily the Samurai - although I have to add that I have never ridden the Samurai. I love my Stylus and am a bit biased I guess.

- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 12, 2015, 7:26 a.m.

Oh well, if the Mavic is bombproof (and I take King of Fasia's word for it) then it does not hurt me or my wallet if they get it and lace it up for me. They may earn a few extra bucks - all good with me, if you know what I mean.

The Mavic is a much higher quality rim and KoF's experience is the status quo for that product.

I ran them on my 26" hardtail for years and years with the same results: bomb proof, straight, not particularly light.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 12, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

You know, I am considering replacing the Nomad I sold recently with a 650 150 travel beast of some kind. But I seem to have fun on the hardtail and I don't really limit where I ride because I am hardtailing. I limit where I go due to perceived risk really. So I ride slower and walk stunts?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 12, 2015, 12:45 p.m.

I had 2 Stylus and 1 Samurai over the years. I never should of sold any of them and the Stylus was a better ride. I can't figure out why, but I always felt more comfortable on the Stylus. When it's time to add another HT i will likely get another Stylus.

The NS Surge frame will become the wife's bike upgrade to avoid that future discussion.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 12, 2015, 12:48 p.m.

Funny, I'd rather think of the Stylus as a sort of "enduro-ish" frame, and not necessarily the Samurai - although I have to add that I have never ridden the Samurai. I love my Stylus and am a bit biased I guess.

You might be right.

But I use the Stylus for riding the Samurai doesn't excel at. While it was fun riding at Fortune last summer on the Samurai I know the Stylus will be more fun.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk