NSMB - 2015 – Hardtail Thread

Sept. 15, 2015, 9:31 a.m.

love the clunker-esque build. cool suntour pedals [HTML_REMOVED] brodie fork.

Sept. 15, 2015, 9:57 a.m.

I'm still rocking my 2013 Kona Taro. The bike started around 30 lbs for a fairly budget build, but swapping wheels and cranks from stock has dropped it to 27.3 lbs. New wheels and tubeless alone dropped 2 lbs, not insignificant.

Oct. 13, 2015, 12:09 p.m.

Found a sweet looking bike from BTR Fabrications on Hardtail Nation…..

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 14, 2015, 12:10 p.m.

My new build, On One 45650b

Oct. 14, 2015, 12:17 p.m.

Awesome! I'm quite interested to try out these uber slack HTs now that I've been doing some time on something with modern geo. 67 HTA is fine for most riders on most trails, but something around 65 would be tasty.

Oct. 14, 2015, 12:39 p.m.

Awesome! I'm quite interested to try out these uber slack HTs now that I've been doing some time on something with modern geo. 67 HTA is fine for most riders on most trails, but something around 65 would be tasty.

Under construction…
Custom Samauri with 64.5D HA and 12.4" BB.

Broken clavicle means I won't get to ride her off road for a few weeks, but will finish building it up this weekend so I can at least rip around the parking lot to see how it feels.
Hopefully it rides as well with the custom angles as I suspect. Going to set the fork at 150 to achieve those numbers.

Oct. 14, 2015, 12:44 p.m.

builders have been slow to grasp the fact that ht angles need to take sag into account and run head angles 1.5-2 degrees slacker than their fully suspended counterparts. btr has got it figured out (in addition to their shorter travel fork philosophy). my bagger at 65* (w/ 150 fork) works well, though i'd certainly try slacker. 64 w/ a 140 fork would be boss.

kp - stick a bug in someones ear at rocky, dammit. make it steel, and slack [HTML_REMOVED] slammed as f. hell, even make room for plump size tires. throw in a bit of retro nostalgia and call it a wedge, perhaps. make it happen!

edit - that chromag looks / sounds awesome!

Oct. 14, 2015, 12:54 p.m.

Under construction…

Broken clavicle means I won't get to ride her off road for a few weeks, but will finish building it up this weekend so I can at least rip around the parking lot to see how it feels.
Hopefully it rides as well with the custom angles as I suspect. Going to set the fork at 150 to achieve those numbers.

What size is that? I can offer to ride it for you until you heal up. You know to work out the kinks and get it all tuned proper like. I don't mind really.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 14, 2015, 12:55 p.m.

builders have been slow to grasp the fact that ht angles need to take sag into account and run head angles 1.5-2 degrees slacker than their fully suspended counterparts. btr has got it figured out (in addition to their shorter travel fork philosophy). my bagger at 65* (w/ 150 fork) works well, though i'd certainly try slacker. 64 w/ a 140 fork would be boss.

And offset and how all these things affect trail.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 14, 2015, 12:58 p.m.

builders have been slow to grasp the fact that ht angles need to take sag into account and run head angles 1.5-2 degrees slacker than their fully suspended counterparts…

edit - that chromag looks / sounds awesome!

Cheers!

Yes, that's what I told the Chromag guys. When I sit on it, it gets steeper, and doesn't get much lower. So you can go slacker and lower without issue. Yet to test the theory personally, but Stanton is making bikes with similar numbers to what I've gone with and a friend of mine in Vernon has one of those and loves it. Although I did have a -2D angleset in my Stylus and it was great, so I've had little bit of a taste of what to expect.

What size is that? I can offer to ride it for you until you heal up. You know to work out the kinks and get it all tuned proper like. I don't mind really.

Haha, maybe you could tune the rear shock for me ;)

It's a medium, for my very average body.

Oct. 14, 2015, 2:32 p.m.

:damn:

:drool:

kp - stick a bug in someones ear at rocky, dammit. make it steel, and slack [HTML_REMOVED] slammed as f. hell, even make room for plump size tires. throw in a bit of retro nostalgia and call it a wedge, perhaps. make it happen!

this, except it needs to be called the hammer

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 14, 2015, 6:17 p.m.

this, except it needs to be called the hammer

This. And while we're making demands… How about two bikes?

RM Hammer : 650b w/ 64-degree HTA at 140mm fork.

RM Hammer Race : 29" w/ 67-degree HTA at 100mm fork.

Loving my 67-degree HTA w/ 100mm fork. Would definitely want slacker w/ 140mm fork now that I've ridden it a lot.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 15, 2015, 10:02 a.m.

RM Hammer : 650b w/ 64-degree HTA at 140mm fork.

spot on, though i'd have to disagree with the resurrecting the hammer name for this build. the hammer was a mid spec tig frame; the wedge was a limited production fillet brazed work of art (with the builder's name on there):

now if rocky (or someone local; paul brodie?? omg) were to build a fillet brazed modern bike with the above geo (and appropriately long f/c, low bb, etc)… i'd love to take paul's course one day and build me exactly that.

dekerf was doing the tig welded rocky tantalus back in the day, so i'd be ok with that name option as well if the brazing isn't feasible.

Oct. 15, 2015, 11:23 a.m.

now if rocky (or someone local; paul brodie?? omg) were to build a fillet brazed modern bike with the above geo (and appropriately long f/c, low bb, etc)… i'd love to take paul's course one day and build me exactly that.

dekerf was doing the tig welded rocky tantalus back in the day, so i'd be ok with that name option as well if the brazing isn't feasible.

I believe Rob @ Whishart could be that man.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 15, 2015, 11:28 a.m.

While your requests are cool and I totally agree with them, the business case for such a bike would be hard to justify at the Rocky of today.

I very much pine for a steel hardtail with modern geo and features. A few others as well, but I doubt more than 50 people world-wide would for over the cash for such a bike.