NSMB - 2014 – Hardtail Thread

March 10, 2014, 9:28 a.m.

^I was thinking that looked very Cannock Chase like. I've done many a ride, and plenty of building there.

treezz
wow you are a ass

March 10, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

Sadly I didn't have time to go over to Stile Cop today, haven't ridden the DH stuff there for ages and theres a few things I want to ride - namely the ladder drops.

March 10, 2014, 4 p.m.

I swapped in the firm spring a couple years back and it made a world of difference. Depending on thr ride I will turn thr lockout switch a bit to increase thr compression. I think its the rebound on the bottom of the leg and I tend to put that around the middle. Its still not a top of the line fork but it certainly is better with the firm spring and good for what I use this bike for. I am 200lbs and can definitely feel and see some flex when braking hard downhill.

Ive contemplated upgrading it however it is grtting more difficukt to find a straight 1 1/8" 26" steerer. I probably will upgrade when I get a new frame one day.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

March 11, 2014, 5:21 p.m.

Cool thanks for the info. I actually have a firm spring sat waiting, just need to get the confidence to open it up and replace it!

March 11, 2014, 9:59 p.m.

Cool thanks for the info. I actually have a firm spring sat waiting, just need to get the confidence to open it up and replace it!

It's an easy swap. Do a full oil change and greasing while your at it. You can get the manual off the rockshox website.

I think having the air model would be good but I'm really fond of the travel adjust.

March 13, 2014, 2 a.m.

Yeah I always prefer air forks just because I always end up sitting in between coil weights and I tend to like my forks a bit less plush than most seem to, especially on a hardtail. I just wish I never sold my Pike!

I'll probably give it a service and replace the spring some time in the next couple of weeks, just waiting til after I go to Bike Park Wales so I don't fuck it up and get stuck without a bike for that :D

March 13, 2014, 6:56 p.m.

No pic of it on the bike. But picked one of these Chromag Cutblocks of some 15 year old Toronto kid selling it for $10.

Little ride tonight and man that is a short stem.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 14, 2014, 6:07 a.m.

My hardtail.

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/wayneparsons/blog/game-changer.html

/thread.

March 14, 2014, 2:13 p.m.

What Omar said. My Raijin was by far the sweetest riding hardtail I have owned (and I have owned a lot of frames). Comparably light to carbon and real scandium (Niner One-9 original) frames but with a next level of "dance" when being ridden.

Compared to other steel frames I have owned the Honzo is super stiff and overbuilt, but - especially if you factor in that most people run a 140mm-150mm fork on them (slacker headangle, touch higher BB) - it is a beast on aggressive trails comparatively.

If it weren't for the necessity of sliding drops I wouldn't hesitate to ride a Taro instead for the weight savings.

I agree you handsome devil!

-D

Surface checks that box D. 5.5# super steel frame with all-time fun geo. Mine with '14 Talas 34 builds up low 27's w/ dropper [HTML_REMOVED] Hans2.35's on ArchEx. Not sure what you're after..

NSMBA member.

March 14, 2014, 3:44 p.m.

Surface checks that box D. 5.5# super steel frame with all-time fun geo. Mine with '14 Talas 34 builds up low 27's w/ dropper [HTML_REMOVED] Hans2.35's on ArchEx. Not sure what you're after..

Sliding dropouts for one -- but that is a personal requirement.

The Surface is a gorgeous frame with great geo, but it definitely doesn't have the ride characteristic that I'm asking for -- the back end is at least as stiff as my Honzo.

I'm after a frame with the playful XC feel outback of my Raijin, or any number of super-steel XC bikes, but with the geometry of my Honzo (and the front-end stiffness to handle wide bars/short stems).

I think it is the Chromag Kamui that is basically a Sakura out back and Samuri up front? One of those with 29" wheels.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

March 14, 2014, 5:11 p.m.

i'm assuming you have ridden one drew. i would have thought the surface had a lighter back end as ian went with tapered, tubular chainstays, rather than the boxy stays he was running on prototypes and on the samurai

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 14, 2014, 6:23 p.m.

i'm assuming you have ridden one drew. i would have thought the surface had a lighter back end as ian went with tapered, tubular chainstays, rather than the boxy stays he was running on prototypes and on the samurai

?

I wouldn't be talking about how 'I' think a bike rides unless I had ridden it.

That said, I am definitely not the only person who feels that way.

-D

March 14, 2014, 6:26 p.m.

Sliding dropouts for one -- but that is a personal requirement.

The Surface is a gorgeous frame with great geo, but it definitely doesn't have the ride characteristic that I'm asking for -- the back end is at least as stiff as my Honzo.

I'm after a frame with the playful XC feel outback of my Raijin, or any number of super-steel XC bikes, but with the geometry of my Honzo (and the front-end stiffness to handle wide bars/short stems).

I think it is the Chromag Kamui that is basically a Sakura out back and Samuri up front? One of those with 29" wheels.

-D

I think I've found what you're after:

March 14, 2014, 7:14 p.m.

I think I've found what you're after:

HAHAwesome!

Yes, I also came to that conclusion.

Waiting very patiently (can't rush art, or something like that).

In the mean time, as Tyler noted, that Surface/Honzo/RootDown/ROS-9/etc geometry is all-time-fun… I do have ridiculous amounts of fun on my Honzo.

-D

March 14, 2014, 7:47 p.m.

The rear end of my Rootdown is definitely smoother riding than Steve C's Honzo. Does the Surface ride that significantly much stiffer than the Rootdown, D? I would have guessed it was the other way around.

flickr