NSMB - 2014 – Enduro / Trail Bike Thread

Nov. 6, 2014, 1:19 p.m.

November 6th in Kamloops. Crazy mild fall we're having.

Nov. 6, 2014, 1:42 p.m.

i have a somewhat irrational hankering for the adhoc. not particularly pretty, but i dig the small tubes / steel / canadian-ness, or something. how's the long term prognosis? i've heard rumour of bearing longevity issues; can you confirm or deny?

Nov. 6, 2014, 3:15 p.m.

i have a somewhat irrational hankering for the adhoc. not particularly pretty, but i dig the small tubes / steel / canadian-ness, or something. how's the long term prognosis? i've heard rumour of bearing longevity issues; can you confirm or deny?

Mine are smooth after a full summer/early fall of riding. I don't generally subject my full-sus bikes to shitty fall/winter riding as I get out the fat bike. I would think that if you are on the wet coast bearing life will be indicative of that locale.

Nov. 6, 2014, 3:56 p.m.

One of my bearings shit the bed, so I replaced it as well as the opposing side with Bones Swiss skateboard bearings. You might laugh but Bones Swiss are basically indestructible, quite smooth, and very low resistance. I have known skaters (myself included) who have used them for years with zero maintenance and with lots of dirt and dust getting inside. Whereas a regular set of bearings can maybe last a month.

Obviously with mountain biking it is a lot different with water and mud, so that's why I left the dust shields on and packed them with grease. So far so good! I've had them in since mid summer, and the bearings were used for two years prior on my skateboard. They feel like a brand new set still.

Since the stock bearings are the size of longboard bearings (10mm inner dia) I bought a set of Bear LB bearings so I can eventually replace the stock Enduros. The Bears were only $20 for a set but they are much better than the stock bearings. That said, the Enduros have lasted since April. The one that failed looked like it had a bad shield from the factory.

Other than that the bike has been bombproof. I ride almost every day and I put it away wet.

Nov. 26, 2014, 10:19 p.m.

Has anyone ever seen one of these in the flesh?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 2, 2014, 2:23 p.m.

New ride for 2015. Xmas came early:)

Shed head!

Dec. 2, 2014, 7:16 p.m.

New ride for 2015. Xmas came early:)

Very nice. Makes me want to start a winter project.

Dec. 2, 2014, 7:31 p.m.

^I get the functionality of a super low top tube but it looks fugly

Dec. 2, 2014, 8:25 p.m.

and can cause frame failures if the seatpost is extended too far , one of my riding partners is on his second carbon Range as his 1st one cranked where the top tube meets the seat tube , his 2nd frame is cranked on one of the ISCG mounts .

it is a great bike he is very happy with it

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 2, 2014, 8:35 p.m.

I think that Norco looks great but I would have gone size up, 30mm stem.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 2, 2014, 8:59 p.m.

New ride for 2015.

i was going to post a screed about your choice of fork, but then i noticed them little gold dials… :)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 2, 2014, 9:54 p.m.

sweet bike

Dec. 2, 2014, 10:18 p.m.

Very nice. Makes me want to start a winter project.

Cheers!!!

Works for dudes with short inseams;)

and can cause frame failures if the seatpost is extended too far , one of my riding partners is on his second carbon Range as his 1st one cranked where the top tube meets the seat tube , his 2nd frame is cranked on one of the ISCG mounts .

it is a great bike he is very happy with it

Was that the guy who cracked it at the Bear enduro? Too bad if it was but I'm sure Norco sorted him out.

I think that Norco looks great but I would have gone size up, 30mm stem.

You should ride a Mondraker

i was going to post a screed about your choice of fork, but then i noticed them little gold dials… :)

Fantastic upgrade. Beats buying a Pike;)

sweet bike

Cheers!!!

Shed head!

Dec. 2, 2014, 11:49 p.m.

You should ride a Mondraker

Rear centres are too short for me.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 2, 2014, 11:57 p.m.

Super nice Norco!

I am sure you'll have tons of fun with it.

And come on guys, too much nitpicking.

It is NEW BIKE DAY for him, don't spoil it with the pre-x-mas geekery ;-)