NSMB - 2014 – Enduro / Trail Bike Thread

April 15, 2014, 9:27 p.m.

anyone who was riding back in the late 90,s early 2000,s did pretty much the same , that was the trend/fad , today it,s big wheels , medium travel suspension, dropper posts and as many parts as possible made out of carbonfiber .

Not everyone was following that trend of 50lbs huck monkey bikes.

Same as today, not everyone is drooling over carbon, look at how many guys are posting steel ht's up this year as their new bikes.

April 16, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

Pedalled to the top of Fromme on a 32x28 with flat pedals, 47lbs, 24" rear wheel, 2.7" DH ply tires, no seat QR, my Dainese suit and fullface helmet and armour strapped to my pack. And I loved every minute of it.

Yes. Yet oddly, with a lighter bike I'm way more fit than back then.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

April 16, 2014, 10:35 a.m.

Totally. Considering the huge drop in bike weight, better pedalling geometry and clipless pedals I'm not climbing Fromme that much faster.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 16, 2014, 12:25 p.m.

Totally. Considering the huge drop in bike weight, better pedalling geometry and clipless pedals I'm not climbing Fromme that much faster.

but maybe more often? The tank bike pedal to 7th was great for getting stronger, especially if you had to be out of the saddle the whole way, but it was also something I did like once a week. And none of this multiple lap jazz. It was tiring. Except maybe for Matt J.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 16, 2014, 1:03 p.m.

That was a special kind of fitness. I remember going to Moab in 2005 on said Knolly V-Tach. There were dudes from Minnesota there on their pinner XC race bikes who couldn't make many of those technical climbs. It blew their minds that guys on 47lb bikes could climb so well.. With flat pedals!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 16, 2014, 1:23 p.m.

but maybe more often? The tank bike pedal to 7th was great for getting stronger, especially if you had to be out of the saddle the whole way, but it was also something I did like once a week. And none of this multiple lap jazz. It was tiring. Except maybe for Matt J.

Beat me to it. Even in the days of 40lb+ bikes I was riding 4-5 days a week but I was generally doing a single lap, the laps were often shorter and they took way longer because I had to hike a bike the tank up singletrack sections that are now so easy to climb on a lighter bike.

I still ride 4-5 days a week but I think I'm close to doubling my saddle time now; nearly every ride is a double-lap, I enjoy every aspect of the ride and I can link up trail combinations that used to be frustrating because of climbing sections in between and because I'm climbing much more my cardio is good enough to handle multiple multi-hour rides all the time.

April 16, 2014, 2:49 p.m.

Beat me to it. Even in the days of 40lb+ bikes I was riding 4-5 days a week but I was generally doing a single lap, the laps were often shorter and they took way longer because I had to hike a bike the tank up singletrack sections that are now so easy to climb on a lighter bike.

I still ride 4-5 days a week but I think I'm close to doubling my saddle time now; nearly every ride is a double-lap, I enjoy every aspect of the ride and I can link up trail combinations that used to be frustrating because of climbing sections in between and because I'm climbing much more.

This is bang on…

April 16, 2014, 3:17 p.m.

This is bang on…

the funny thing is that I'm starting to wish I lived in an area with more loops that include a good singletrack climb on the way up…

April 16, 2014, 3:34 p.m.

the funny thing is that I'm starting to wish I lived in an area with more loops that include a good singletrack climb on the way up…

Yeah, I hear you… Nelson/Castlegar doesn't have many of those options. Lots of steep, long, dusty fireroad climbs around here. That's why shuttling is still so prevalent. Rossland is better in this regard.

April 16, 2014, 3:57 p.m.

Yeah, I hear you… Nelson/Castlegar doesn't have many of those options. Lots of steep, long, dusty fireroad climbs around here. That's why shuttling is still so prevalent. Rossland is better in this regard.

that was definitely one thing I missed about the coast while living in nelson last year

April 17, 2014, 11:01 a.m.

Not everyone was following that trend of 50lbs huck monkey bikes.

Same as today, not everyone is drooling over carbon, look at how many guys are posting steel ht's up this year as their new bikes.

This. Like the NoBoarder foresaking bindings…or the samurai of old using the blade over the rifle.

Were you better at the bottom than at the top after hitting that TAP trail on carbon enduro bike? The shore is changing - consider which bike fits the bill.

NSMBA member.

April 23, 2014, 11:12 a.m.

My new ENDURO SPECIFIC bikesickle. Just finished building it up. About 30.5lbs

April 23, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

That's a beautiful bike. Just looking at the Adhoc on the website, the one shown doesn't have the gusset near the shock mount that yours has (http://www.xprezo.ca/en/products/enduro/adhoc). Do you know what the story is with this?

April 23, 2014, 11:28 a.m.

I ride up with seat extended. Get to the trail entrance and lower my seat. What trail on the North Shore benefits from constantly raising and lowering your seat?
That and I don't actualy sit on my seat when the trail goes down hill.
Where do people use these heavy expensive contraptions? What trail?

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

April 23, 2014, 11:29 a.m.

They need to update the image on the website, they've been developing the Ad-Hoc for awhile and I suspect the web image was an early dev version.

The bike they took to NAHBS had the gusset.