NSMB - 2014 – Enduro / Trail Bike Thread

March 28, 2014, 12:09 p.m.

Other than the comedy value of the Specialized u-turn it's not really news though is it? The only 26" wheel mountain bike we sell at work is a womens specific one. For good or bad, Specialized don't have a choice.

While 650B has exploded in popularity, virtually all DH bikes are still 26" and there are still a number of great 6" bikes with 26" wheels too. It is my opinion that 650b should add to the options, not replace 26". Each has their benefits, and it is my belief that a rider's height should play a major role in deciding wheel size (6'5" on a 26er? If you were a kid on a kid's bike, it would be common sense that you've outgrown your bike). Good rule of thumb: if the wheels look disproportionately small or large, they are probably the wrong size IMO.

All that said, the actual difference between 26" and 650b is so small that there's just barely justification for 650b to exist in the first place - so many other factors will change a bike more than this wheel size difference. Everything else equal, the slightly larger hoops will improve certain characteristics, but it's not the difference that marketing will tell you

March 28, 2014, 12:25 p.m.

While 650B has exploded in popularity, virtually all DH bikes are still 26" and there are still a number of great 6" bikes with 26" wheels too. It is my opinion that 650b should add to the options, not replace 26". Each has their benefits, and it is my belief that a rider's height should play a major role in deciding wheel size (6'5" on a 26er? If you were a kid on a kid's bike, it would be common sense that you've outgrown your bike). Good rule of thumb: if the wheels look disproportionately small or large, they are probably the wrong size IMO.

All that said, the actual difference between 26" and 650b is so small that there's just barely justification for 650b to exist in the first place - so many other factors will change a bike more than this wheel size difference. Everything else equal, the slightly larger hoops will improve certain characteristics, but it's not the difference that marketing will tell you

Your second paragraph sums up why 26ers are going the way of the Dodo though. I'm a grumpy old f[HTML_REMOVED]%ker who hates most marketing, but even I see that given the choice of buying something slightly 'better' which will be backed by the industry for at least a few years, or something that is being dropped by the industry, then I'm going to buy a 650B (or in my case a 29er….).

treezz
wow you are a ass

March 28, 2014, 12:52 p.m.

All that said, the actual difference between 26" and 650b is so small that there's just barely justification for 650b to exist in the first place

Or….the actual difference between 26" and 650b is so small that there's just barely justification for 26" to exist in the first place.

March 28, 2014, 1:11 p.m.

It is like with big boobs or a huge dick.

Sure that might be great in some situations, but in some it also sucks.
You possibly can´t say that a certain size is best for every application.

And how anyone can say that 650b is generally better is beyond me. Every single advantage in rollover or stability at the same time makes your experience less squirrely and bumpy and also less sketchy.

Which is great for race or efficiency scenarios, but might detract some "fun", if you´re not in a hurry or on mellow trails.

Whatever. We have a lot of choice. Which is great.

If I was a billionaire, I´d found a bike company which´d produce a rad mountainbike in a low environment impact way, which could REALLY be ridden for a couple of years with little maintenance. DURABILITY is the big issue for me.

As soon as you actually ride your expensive/cheap/new/not so new mountainbike A LOT, you´ll have a lot of parts to replace regularly.

And while I understand light/very durable are hard to bring together, I´d feel better if I´d produce less waste through biking.

I had to warranty a lot of stuff on my bling top of the line carbon Specialized. Which they covered without nagging, but that also produced a bag full of trash.
Now they come out with another new model, after a couple of months. Also fine with me, although product cycles seem to get pretty ridiculous in the bike business.

So - instead of straw fires like slightly bigger wheels, how about some substantial innovation? Like sustainability?

Bikers might be a good audience for that. If bikes were more expensive because of that - I´d be willing to pay.

Paying for R+D because of monthly "minor" releases and fashionista facelifts, not so much.

And I´ll start to ride my bikes longer. I promise.

March 28, 2014, 5:42 p.m.

The bike industry wants us on 650b as it will be an easier sell to 29er once they have the geometry figured out. #thisisnotajoke

:canada:

March 28, 2014, 6:39 p.m.

I seem to be the only person who doesn't even stop to consider that 26" wheels might become obsolete one day. But then again I don't have a dropper post, am still running a 2x10spd drivetrain and basically live in a fucking cave.

The industry can want us to do whatever they want but as long as there's still crusty people like me demanding and buying 26" tires, rims etc I don't think they'll ever pass up the chance to take my money for a product no matter what the wheel size.

March 28, 2014, 6:42 p.m.

I run the 2x , 26 wheels die hard…no arguments there. Dropper post tho..? Thats just beautiful…..

https://www.strava.com/activities/123430272. If you can rock out this ride on a 1x and enjoy it.. Well then you dont need 2x…:)

March 28, 2014, 6:51 p.m.

Dropper post tho..? Thats just beautiful….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

every time I come to ride on the ssc, or anywhere else for that matter I definitely wish I had one, but for most of the straight up/straight down trails here I haven't found much use. Maybe this year I'll crawl a little further out of the cave and throw down the cash for one, it's definitely on my mind

March 28, 2014, 7:16 p.m.

I seem to be the only person who doesn't even stop to consider that 26" wheels might become obsolete one day. But then again I don't have a dropper post, am still running a 2x10spd drivetrain and basically live in a fucking cave.

The industry can want us to do whatever they want but as long as there's still crusty people like me demanding and buying 26" tires, rims etc I don't think they'll ever pass up the chance to take my money for a product no matter what the wheel size.

I have two 29ers and one 26er (DH bike) and I'm considering getting another 26er this year. 26er frames and forks can definitely be had for some great deals right now!

March 28, 2014, 7:26 p.m.

Sure a new Stumpy is due but I love how they couldn't be assed to make a 650b specific front triangle.

They may aswell just put 650b wheels on the full 29" frame with 140mm cranks :lol:

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 28, 2014, 7:30 p.m.

When I first tried 650b I found the ride to be pretty distinct, especially as a taller rider who often struggled to get bikes to fit right. After a year and a half on a 29er I recently tried a 650b bike again and didn't find it nearly so remarkable. I guess compared to 29" wheels the jump between 26 and 650b just doesn't seem that big anymore.

Though I'm still holding out for a 650b DH bike in a generous XL… and it looks like we're not too far off!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 28, 2014, 7:43 p.m.

The bike industry wants us on 650b as it will be an easier sell to 29er once they have the geometry figured out. #thisisnotajoke

^ this

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 28, 2014, 9:56 p.m.

Your second paragraph sums up why 26ers are going the way of the Dodo though. I'm a grumpy old f[HTML_REMOVED]%ker who hates most marketing, but even I see that given the choice of buying something slightly 'better' which will be backed by the industry for at least a few years, or something that is being dropped by the industry, then I'm going to buy a 650B (or in my case a 29er….).

But the thing is, if there are three sizes that all work, cutting either end off would make less sense than cutting out the middle. For one, shorter riders would lose the option that best fits them. Also, since wheel size increase is a trade-off of certain characteristics for the increase in others, we'd narrow the trade-off to lean towards one end of the spectrum.

The part of my post I wanted to emphasize though is that more wheel size options is to the benefit of the bike industry and consumers as a whole. I do not believe than an extra wheel size will have a negative impact on price and availability of bike stuff these days, since mountain biking is popular enough to support the extra variety. What it does do is give designers another variable to adjust to suit certain bikes and frame sizes. What's important is that we consider a bike as a whole and not its wheel size.

March 29, 2014, 10:25 a.m.

Pivot Mach 6 + 160mm Pike + XX1 build + XTR brakes + LB carbon 35mm rims + Hope hubs + Conti Trail Kings 2.2"…:fruit:

GF got one as well = XO1 build + Sram brakes + 150mm Fox 34 + DT Swiss wheels + Conti TK's in 2.2" 8)

March 29, 2014, 10:51 a.m.

That bike looks flawless Vik, nicely done. How's it ride? I've been seeing more and more Pivot lately, but haven't heard how they ride.