- 1 x 10 Zee drivetrain [32 x 11-36]
- nothing else too interesting, but she works really well

Jan. 21, 2014, 2:58 p.m.

This is year 6 for my SC Nomad. Great do it all bike….:rave:

- Fox DHX Air 5.0 rebuilt by Avalanche [best money I've spent on this bike]
- Velocity P35 rims with 2.4" Trail Kings [nearly 650B sized wheels]
- 1 x 10 Zee drivetrain [32 x 11-36]
- nothing else too interesting, but she works really well

nice Nomad! Lately been thinking it's time to retire mine, but I'm only heading into year 4 (of mostly DH riding and abuse in that time). Maybe you've given me hope to hang onto it for a while longer :)

Jan. 21, 2014, 3:03 p.m.

nice Nomad! Lately been thinking it's time to retire mine, but I'm only heading into year 4 (of mostly DH riding and abuse in that time). Maybe you've given me hope to hang onto it for a while longer :)

I'm going to get a new bike this year. No reason beyond just wanting something new and a bit lighter. I plan to keep the Nomad as my winter bike and as a back up. It's 100% dialled for me so it would be K-Razy to get rid of it. :damn:

It was a great investment and has given me hundreds of amazing rides all over North America. It's never let me down - not once. :couple:

Jan. 21, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

Nice bike. It's great when you find something that just plain works.

I'm gonna say the most impressive feat of longevity is if those brakes are still working.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 21, 2014, 3:39 p.m.

Nice bike. It's great when you find something that just plain works.

I'm gonna say the most impressive feat of longevity is if those brakes are still working.

Yes a solid long lasting FS bike is a thing of beauty. :dizzy:

Those Avid brakes are indeed still working. Not the best brakes on the planet for sure, but they have been dependable and haven't needed a ton of maintenance. :coo:

I'd like to try some Shimano brakes on my next bike, but I haven't been motivated enough to replace the Avids on the Nomad.

Jan. 21, 2014, 10:21 p.m.

another budget version to consider is the Yeti ASR5. They basically copied the geo from the TRc. They're discontinued now but if you can find one, a frame would be well under a grand. Carbon rear, Alu front, or full carbon for a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestion.
The VPP is actually the major reason I want the TR. I've put up with a suspension platform I'm not overly fond of for a while now, and I've become pretty hell-bent on having VPP written on the rear triangle of a shorter travel bike.
A Trek Remedy convinced me that there are platforms I may like, but I'm not seriously looking to buy a bike right now (not riding for a few months) so I'm content to fixate on the TR for a while.

Jan. 25, 2014, 4:34 p.m.

Does this belong in the crazy vintage shiz thread or here? Probably neither. New bike time ASAP.

www.vitalmtb.com

Jan. 25, 2014, 4:58 p.m.

Here's my new rig for the year.

Jan. 25, 2014, 10:23 p.m.

details and specs on that last rig please. looks like the new Trance SX but far from stock.. and judging by the background you either own a bike shop or have serious coin.

Jan. 25, 2014, 10:26 p.m.

details and specs on that last rig please. looks like the new Trance SX but far from stock.. and judging by the background you either own a bike shop or have serious coin.

looks like non stock parts are enve wheels, seat, enve bar, grips, reverb, stem and fork

Jan. 25, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

looks like non stock parts are enve wheels, seat, enve bar, grips, reverb, stem and fork

nice rig…

Jan. 25, 2014, 11:50 p.m.

Here's my new rig for the year.

what a piece of shit

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 26, 2014, 8:27 a.m.

BSP was blowing this out so i got it yesterday. Rode it at burke and have never felt a bike wanting to go faster down a trail. Only 4.5" of travel in the rear but so much fun around corners, over humps, etc. Considered a mini-enduro bike - probably faster than a regular one but there could be fatigue over long hauls. Just about as good a climber as my 29" hard tail too.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6570541/

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Jan. 26, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

so much purple!

I always thought the Distortion was the coolest, most unique bike in GT's lineup before they did the big revamp recently.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 26, 2014, 9:17 a.m.

Thanks guys!

C.Lee is right. I swapped from stock (Trance Advanced SX 27.5) for Enve wheels, Reverb post, WTB saddle, Enve Bar, Troy Lee grips, Easton Havoc stem (50mm), and the Pike. Also, 34t ring instead of the stock 32. Shimano XT trail pedals.

I don't own a shop but I work at one…

Weight as pictured is 27.5 lbs. I've since swapped tires for Magic Mary up front and put the Hans Dampf in the rear. It's 28.0 on the nose with those tires.

PS: The bike RIPS. Hands down my favorite bike I've owned. As a comparison, I've owned a Giant Faith, Reign X, Nomad Carbon, Blur TRc, and very briefly a Bronson.