NSMB - 2014 – Enduro / Trail Bike Thread

Jan. 3, 2014, 10:48 p.m.

Pike is amazing. Damping so much better than Fox. Great on the rough and once I installed one token the big impact absorption became much more progressive. Very impressed with the forks performance.

Shed head!

Jan. 4, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

How is the Trance SX. It is a very tempting bike. Any shortcomings compared to other bikes you've ridden?

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 4, 2014, 4:48 p.m.

Nomad remains unchanged for now

And it's for sale…
http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=40006[HTML_REMOVED]title=09-santa-cruz-nomad-med-[HTML_REMOVED]cat=13

Jan. 4, 2014, 5 p.m.

Pike is amazing. Damping so much better than Fox.

have you tried the 2014 fox dampers? much improved, i think, but if the pike is still that much better… :damn:

bike

how's the hr2 holding up on the rear? mine is starting to look pretty ragged after about a dozen rides UP FRONT, wondering if the new design wears fast or if i bought a lemon

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 4, 2014, 5:59 p.m.

how's the hr2 holding up on the rear? mine is starting to look pretty ragged after about a dozen rides UP FRONT, wondering if the new design wears fast or if i bought a lemon

My buddy bought one for the rear of his bike in the spring (3C EXO) and there was significant wear after only 6 or 7 rides. Needless to say, he was pretty pissed off at tread life as short as that. No experience with them run up front however

Jan. 4, 2014, 6:02 p.m.

have you tried the 2014 fox dampers? much improved, i think, but if the pike is still that much better… :damn:

Yeah, I upgraded my Fox 34 with the 2014 upgrade at Suspensionwerx and the change was noticeable. The damping is good but not as good as the Pike. Small bump compliance on the Pike is better, the overall smoothness of the fork is WAY better and stiffness is on par. The only downside from my initial setup for the Pike was the progressiveness on big hits (or lack of) which was solved by adding one token. Now the fork ramps up nicely on bigger hits and doesn't bottom out. Both great forks but the Pike IMO has upped the ante.

Shed head!

Jan. 4, 2014, 6:03 p.m.

My buddy bought one for the rear of his bike in the spring (3C EXO) and there was significant wear after only 6 or 7 rides. Needless to say, he was pretty pissed off at tread life as short as that. No experience with them run up front however

And I thought the wear on Trailstar Hans Dampf's were bad:dizzy:

Shed head!

Jan. 4, 2014, 6:33 p.m.

Just go with the 60a durometer in the exo casing instead. 3 seasons of heavy riding in super rocky, rooty terrain including lots of days in the rain and I might, MIGHT replace the rear tire this coming season.

Just stay light on the front end and stay the f off the brakes…once you get used to riding without the crutch of sticky tires you won't even notice, just makes riding exciting again :)

Jan. 4, 2014, 8:08 p.m.

And I thought the wear on Trailstar Hans Dampf's were bad:dizzy:

I think I may have set a record for destroying a Hans Dampf (29er). 1 shore toonie and maybe 3 additional rides. The rear is toast, and it is PaceStar. Great value! ;)

I like the HR 2, but definitely go 60a on the rear. I killed a 2.4 3C on one shuttle day at Moose MTN (6-7 laps). That was an expensive, but fun, day.

I'm excited with all the new 26er tech… Just picked up a couple new Butcher and Purgatory Grid 2-Bliss today. My favorite tread and rubber, now with a stiffer sidewall, and still half the price of Schwalbe and Maxxis8)

Jan. 17, 2014, 1:44 p.m.

New bike day for me!:rocker:

Now there are three of these in our house between myself, wife and son!

Stock as of yet but thinking of going with a 30T NW chain ring.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Jan. 17, 2014, 4:06 p.m.

my son has one as well he likes it a lot he put a cromag saddle and renthal bars and stem other the than its stock

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 17, 2014, 7:16 p.m.

Same bike as last year, except for a Lyrik up front instead of a Totem, 29.6 lbs like this. Prolly wont make any other changes.

I cant find last years thread. so its got a few anglesets in there and some special shocks bushes etc… 23 spoke rear wheel, ti saddle seen better days, EXO tires w tubes, Codes, you can see the rest. Ya know your usual bike park beater

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 18, 2014, 10:12 a.m.

26.8 pounds with these tires. Love it.

Jan. 18, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

26.8 pounds with these tires. Love it.

No dropper post? Blasphemy! Looks quick.

Jan. 18, 2014, 8:37 p.m.

The whip for this year. 2013 Blur TRc with a 2014 Pike on the front. Bike rides great. BB is not too high given the 150mm fork.