NSMB - 2014 – Enduro / Trail Bike Thread

April 10, 2014, 11:19 a.m.

That's like trying Crack for a month and then trying to decide if you still need/want it or not.

er, exactly

I would honestly rather give up rear suspension before a dropper.

+1

Totally. I recently rode with a buddy who doesn't have one. At one point in the ride we were stopped and he asked 'is this section an up or a down?'

hah, that happened to me last Fall with a guy who'd be hmm'ing and haw'ing about buying a dropper for a while. i told him "if you have to ask…" and then took off ;)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 10, 2014, 11:33 a.m.

I've been riding my new hardtail and having a blast on it, but took my nomad out yesterday because it has a dropper and my hardtail's one is still in the mail. Back on the hardtail as soon as it arrives (after punching another hole in a frame, because the only thing better than a dropper post is a stealth routed dropper post) :)

April 10, 2014, 12:02 p.m.

I don't know I could even get on my bike without a dropper anymore. I always squish it down for mounting / dismounting. Just so convenient.

totally. like the bagged buses that drop down for easy access. climbing on a bike with a fully extended seatpost is just so arduous.

i think i concur as well (for trail riding). it's really that much of a (flip alert) GAME CHANGER.

April 10, 2014, 12:22 p.m.

Good thing I already ordered one. Getting my dropper soon. Just waiting on word from the LBS to let me know when my order's ready :D .

April 10, 2014, 9:20 p.m.

Ha,
That's like trying Crack for a month and then trying to decide if you still need/want it or not.

Deserves reps.

But in all seriousness it's dependent on the type of trails you ride and your style of riding. If you feel like you're fine without one, you are. I've ridden a dropper post for a month and didn't buy one after giving it back. It's a good test, but challenging to locate a post you can try for a bit.

April 10, 2014, 9:28 p.m.

Dropper posts are also really nice for when your legs cramp up….

April 11, 2014, 4:13 p.m.

my x-fusion dropper blew up and went back to the shop. They replaced it with a regular post for now but, fuck, i don't even want to ride my bike until the dropper's back.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

April 11, 2014, 4:51 p.m.

my x-fusion dropper blew up and went back to the shop. They replaced it with a regular post for now but, fuck, i don't even want to ride my bike until the dropper's back.

SACK UP AND RIDE PRINCESS!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

What did we all do before dropper posts and 42 tooth rings in the back? I guess we never rode our bikes, because it was too hard.

April 11, 2014, 5:03 p.m.

mine blew up and i,m doing just fine , yah i miss it and it will be back on the bike soon , but it,s not the end of the world riding without one

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 15, 2014, 2:07 p.m.

you guys are core. Not sure how you do it. My daughter's 20" haro mountain bike has a little suspension seat post - i'm thinking about stealing it so I can finally get a ride in.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

April 15, 2014, 3 p.m.

What did we all do before dropper posts and 42 tooth rings in the back? I guess we never rode our bikes, because it was too hard.

We rode everything the same but bitched about why the industry hasn't come up with lower 1x10 gearing and a suspension seat post that works;)

Shed head!

April 15, 2014, 3:09 p.m.

Pedalled to the top of Fromme on a 32x28 with flat pedals, 47lbs, 24" rear wheel, 2.7" DH ply tires, no seat QR, my Dainese suit and fullface helmet and armour strapped to my pack. And I loved every minute of it.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 15, 2014, 6:53 p.m.

Pedalled to the top of Fromme on a 32x28 with flat pedals, 47lbs, 24" rear wheel, 2.7" DH ply tires, no seat QR, my Dainese suit and fullface helmet and armour strapped to my pack. And I loved every minute of it.

anyone who was riding back in the late 90,s early 2000,s did pretty much the same , that was the trend/fad , today it,s big wheels , medium travel suspension, dropper posts and as many parts as possible made out of carbonfiber .

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 15, 2014, 7:51 p.m.

I resemble that remark.

April 15, 2014, 9:23 p.m.

anyone who was riding back in the late 90,s early 2000,s did pretty much the same , that was the trend/fad , today it,s big wheels , medium travel suspension, dropper posts and as many parts as possible made out of carbonfiber .

Yup and loving this too.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.