NSMB - 2014 – 29er Thread

Nov. 9, 2014, 8:14 p.m.

Yes. How tall are you? If you're over 6'0 a 29er will absolutely slay the trails you mentioned. I'm 6'6" and ride an Enduro 29er on everything I would ride my DH bike on. For a lot of technical riding my E29 is actually better than my DH bike, which only seems to outshine it on straight-out speed over chunder. Steep descending on the 29er almost feels like cheating, especially steep faces with abrupt g-outs at the bottom.

If you get a modern geo 29er with a Pike you will be well sorted. My personal fave for a more trail option is the Stump Evo 29. Such an amazing bike. I'm also very curious about the new slack-geo 29ers like the Kona Process 111, Transition Smuggler and Banshee Phantom but I haven't tried one yet. Probably best you find some to demo.

Or try out a Nomad3 in XL. Coming from 29ers, including an E29, I'm blown away by this bike which tells me that it's more about the fit, geo and suspension preference than the wheel size. I'll tackle stuff on my Nomad that I wouldn't tackle on my E29. I'd love to try a Stumpy 29 though. It would sit nicely between my XXL TallboyC and XL Nomad3C!

Nov. 9, 2014, 8:47 p.m.

I currently ride a 26" stump jumper and I'm thinking of purchasing a 29er, but am hesitant because of the good 650b options available now and possible limitations with 29. I'm aware of all the benefits a 29er offers. I mostly ride xc/trail and like technical climbs- you will often see me on Bridle path, slippery salamander, sticks and stones, or riding lost lake at whistler. Is this the perfect terrain for a 29er?
Where will a 29er start seeing limitations? The more technical downhill trails you will find on fromme? If I do descent based trails I prefer the more flowey trails such as espresso.
Any opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

You certainly sound like a candidate for a 29er (one that doesn't suck at least….). Mellow grade but techy trails are where 29ers shine.

I'd try and ride one though, ideally on trails too. I had one for a year and as always surprised how much I could get away with on it. Was it fun though? Ultimately not so much for me. Despite being slower on flatter stuff, the bike I ride now feels like a finely crafted knife that both allows and rewards precise riding. The 29er was a blunderbuss.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 9, 2014, 9:30 p.m.

Good advice guys, thanks. I'm 6'0" tall and most interested in sticking with a stumpjumper, the evo 29" may be the perfect fit for me

Nov. 13, 2014, 9:40 a.m.

Year 2+ with my Commencal Meta 29'er and still slots in as my "daily driver". Change the rubber, versatility defined.

I have to say, that's a fine looking ride.
:couple:

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 13, 2014, 11:15 p.m.

Good advice guys, thanks. I'm 6'0" tall and most interested in sticking with a stumpjumper, the evo 29" may be the perfect fit for me

Give a 29er time and you'll be throwing it around like a 26er before you know it. It just takes being more dynamic on the bike. I think at your height and given what you like to ride, take a 29er for a good demo ride and you'll be sold.

Jon-boy.

Nov. 14, 2014, 8:56 a.m.

I'm still not entirely convinced by my 29er it is clearly a great bike and extremely competent (Banshee Paradox) but it is missing something that my previous bike (Chromag Aperture) had, I am 6'4" and the big wheels do make sense it is a machine going up down and across especially on mellow grade techy trails as Walleater said.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 14, 2014, 9:43 a.m.

Could be the steel vs Alu thing? I rode my buddy's paradox and while it was a good bike I could not wait to get back on my Rune….I am now on a Prime and OMG is it good. I just got it pimped out…will have a new photo soon. :)

Nov. 14, 2014, 9:46 a.m.

Could be the steel vs Alu thing?

Wouldn't doubt it. My back can definitely tell when I am riding a aluminum hardtail vs a steel one.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 24, 2014, 3:45 p.m.

Just fitted a set of Butcher [HTML_REMOVED] Slaughter Control 2.3 tires to my Stumpjumper.

The Butcher is already a proven performer, but I was very impressed with the Slaughter. Noticeably faster rolling, but with no real loss of grip. Definitely recommended.

Nov. 24, 2014, 3:54 p.m.

I was looking at that tire for next summer…running dual butchers right now and loving it.

Nov. 24, 2014, 4:12 p.m.

I was looking at that tire for next summer…running dual butchers right now and loving it.

I was hoping to get the Slaughter before it got really wet out, but now I think I'm going to run it through the winter. It seems to have plenty of grip.

Nov. 27, 2014, 11:28 p.m.

Interesting. I had one in my hand the other day but I thought there wasn't much point with 5 months of rain to come.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman