NSMB - 2014 – 29er Thread

Jan. 30, 2014, 1:16 a.m.

^
Gorgeous. I am surprised by the weight though, looking at the spec I would have figured a bit lighter. Doesn't bode well for my slightly lesser build. :)

It's a 20" Rootdown frame; I weighed one at Chromag and it was 6.4 pounds. Still more than a pound lighter than a Honzo, which is a tank. Surface was 5.8 in the same size.

I would have thought it would be over 30 lbs. There's nothing light on that build except the drivetrain. Nice, solid build.

To be honest I was holding my breath and expecting that. Under 30 was a nice surprise, given the solid build spec. That number included my Garmin and a light head… could be under 30 with a lighter rear tire.

I thought Flows were fairly light (for AM wheels) and same with the new Pike fork.

The Flow EXs are beefed up over their older Flow sibling. The upside is that for burly AM riding, it's the right choice.

Flow EX is 550 grams for a 29" rim. They are burly, and they set up tubeless with ease. I had the 1460 gram Easton EC70s on the bike at first and they were definitely not up to the task.

What's a pound or two here or there?

a lot, if its hiding in your wheels ;)

I'm saving some weight with 750 gram tires. Looks like I've still got room for DHR2s under the 30 pound mark.

Nicest Rootdown I've seen.

Thanks man.

flickr

Jan. 30, 2014, 1:38 a.m.

I don't get it.

You could run a faster, more fun FS that weighs the same or less for similar $.

Sure they look coolish (like beards) and I love the company but come on guys, hardtails.

HARDTAILS!!!

Find me a brand new 29er suspension frame and shock under $1000 at retail, with a 430 rear end.

flickr

Jan. 30, 2014, 1:38 a.m.

I don't get it.

You could run a faster, more fun FS that weighs the same or less for similar $.

Sure they look coolish (like beards) and I love the company but come on guys, hardtails.

HARDTAILS!!!

This is sarcasm right?

Jan. 30, 2014, 4:49 a.m.

I'd agree with that. Really cool bike. I'd wager it's a blast to ride.

To the hardtail comment above: I wouldn't want to give up my FS, but if I had the funds I'd definitely have a short chainstay HT 29er. Puts the 'playfulness' back in the big wheel size, and of course nothing beats the efficiency of a HT.

Jan. 30, 2014, 4:56 a.m.

has anyone tried the newer larger Maxxis Beaver 2.25 yet? the original is a great tire, but mighty slim and light. the 2.25 could be a great tire especially if it comes in lighter than advertised.

I was pretty pleased with the way this tire turned out. The wet conditions performance of the tire is great (due to the siped, well-spaced lugs and softer 50a outer compound), but it also does well when it's dry. A very versatile tire, and it rolls surprisingly well. More traction than the Ardent 2.25, at only a 20g penalty (compared to the 29er Exo model).

Jan. 30, 2014, 7:30 a.m.

Seriously, fantastic looking!

Jan. 30, 2014, 8:26 a.m.

Find me a brand new 29er suspension frame and shock under $1000 at retail, with a 430 rear end.

Oh come on, for the cost of that thing you could have had any number of complete bikes FS bikes. Bet this would be similar total cost - http://www.konaworld.com/process_111.cfm

Sure the spec might not be as bling but it'd still be more fun to ride. Even with crappy short stays.

Just admit it, hardtails are hipster mountain bikes.

HIPSTERS!!!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Jan. 30, 2014, 8:58 a.m.

Sure the spec might not be as bling but it'd still be more fun to ride.

you keep on making this claim that hardtails are less fun to ride. less efficient, slower, etc. i might give you, but fun is a personal and subjective ride experience. claiming it is a set characteristic of a (type of) bike is ridiculous

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 30, 2014, 11:17 a.m.

Final build. 29.5 pounds.

Looks………..Fantastic.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 30, 2014, 11:46 a.m.

i've always thought of them as fun diversions than stylistic statements myself. my fs trail bike is a couple pounds lighter than my ht, but i've had no real desire to use it over the last 4 months. so much fun. beat on it / put away wet / repeat ad nauseum. given the level of trail groomage these days, ht's are becoming less a detriment - if you're really concerned about relative efficiency. hard to argue the value, even with higher end frames; always a great backup to have in the stable. but to each his / her own; opinion = / fact.

oh, and morg - looks great! i can no longer criticize the seatpost; build is pretty much perfect.

Jan. 30, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

Oh come on, for the cost of that thing you could have had any number of complete bikes FS bikes. Bet this would be similar total cost - http://www.konaworld.com/process_111.cfm

Sure the spec might not be as bling but it'd still be more fun to ride. Even with crappy short stays.

HIPSTERS!!!

´„å?µßfdsf nabj'dfasdfjiokkjlµ? (Authentic dog-typed gibberish)

I gave you the problem of a sub-$1000 frame and shock, and you came back saying my build spec is too nice and the rear end is too short? Leap in logic. "Oh come on."

You could buy a Honzo for $1999, drop $1000 into upgrades, and still be $1000 ahead of the Process. But riding a bike with hand-picked components cannot be compared to sub-4 complete. Period. Unless you're looking to talk intrinsic value and "experience" for the money, in which case let's remember you were the one who was saying hardtails aren't fun.

Riding a hardtail reminds you how lazy you've become riding suspension bikes. Descending an AM hardtail on slow technical terrain is an absolute blast (and yet this one also climbs very well). Keeping (and pushing) pace on a ride with people on suspension bikes pushes your limits. But, obviously, it would be more fun to ride a suspension bike with a 450 chainstay and a cheaper build spec. Obviously.

flickr

Jan. 30, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

If hardtails are for hipsters, could we come up with a title for the Evoc pack wearing, high sock and POC lid sporting, all mountain knee pad wearing Koolaid kid?

(I'm guilty of some of the above, but just curious;-)

I guess fun is just riding fast everywhere these days…after all that is the Spirit of Enduro (or is that Flow?)

;-)

Jan. 30, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

Jesus Schwing Christ that Chromag looks sooooo awesome.
:heart:

Wrong. Always.

Jan. 30, 2014, 12:56 p.m.

If hardtails are for hipsters, could we come up with a title for the Evoc pack wearing, high sock and POC lid sporting, all mountain knee pad wearing Koolaid kid?

(I'm guilty of some of the above, but just curious;-)

I guess fun is just riding fast everywhere these days…after all that is the Spirit of Enduro (or is that Flow?)

;-)

endurostyle. every sub niche has it's uniform. we all like to belong / be identified with / a group. c'est la vie. bickering about the minor inconcequential differences is just silly, and a waste of time. bikes is bikes. they're fun to ride; on that i think we all can agree.

Jan. 30, 2014, 2:26 p.m.

I was pretty pleased with the way this tire turned out. The wet conditions performance of the tire is great (due to the siped, well-spaced lugs and softer 50a outer compound), but it also does well when it's dry. A very versatile tire, and it rolls surprisingly well. More traction than the Ardent 2.25, at only a 20g penalty (compared to the 29er Exo model).

Kinda off topic but there's a new Ardent Race as well. Maybe I'm behind the times. Looks a hell of a lot better than the original, although its starting to look like the Ikon

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40