NSMB - 2014 – 29er Thread

Jan. 1, 2014, 12:11 p.m.

This thread is dedicated to the 29er Bike.

29” wheel bikes are everywhere. Some love them .while others vow to hold on to their 26” wheels until they are pried from their cold dead hands. 29ers have their place in MTB and excel in the right conditions.

Use this thread to discuss your ideas about the 29er.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 1, 2014, 6:54 p.m.

Still rocking the Instinct for 2014 when time permits. Lots of bikes to ride these days. Don't plan on changing much on this bike, unless a Pike finds it way on there.

Rocky Mountain Instinct, slack position
130mm travel
140mm Revelation RLT
60mm Turbine stem with 785mm Six bar.
WTB Silverado Ti saddle
Carbon hoops laced with DT Aerolite on 240 hubs. Rims are 23mm inner and about 460grams each IIRC.
XX1 Drivetrain and brakes.
Ardent 2.4 rear, DHRII 2.35 front, both TLR and EXO. The DHRII is a MaxxTerra tire while the Ardent is Dual Compound.

Weight is 27# flat with XT trail pedals, the waterbottle 1/2 full.

Jan. 1, 2014, 7:07 p.m.

Something in the works. More in a couple of weeks. :shhh:

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 13, 2014, 9:16 a.m.

Probably not North Shore approved…

Jan. 13, 2014, 9:58 a.m.

Ouch my wrists!

Just missing a few touches: peel rim decals, swap headset, seat clamp and stem face plate for black.

Do I spy dual control?

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:05 a.m.

Just missing a few touches: peel rim decals, swap headset, seat clamp and stem face plate for black.

What about "remove warning sticker from seat tube"?

I just got a new pair of Stans rims rolling and while I know that I'll be peeling those decals soon enough, for now it's a bit of a novelty to have such a huge white flash rolling beneath me.

flickr

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

i like your style. especially refreshing for an industry guy (whom you'd assume would be all about broadcasting labels).

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

There's a place for colourful graphics and decals. I sometime yearn for a production painted frame and matchy matchy parts. But a custom build requires custom touches and debadging is one of my favorite pastimes.

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:58 a.m.

And thus it begins.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 14, 2014, 1:45 a.m.

Ouch my wrists! -[HTML_REMOVED] I still have 140mm forked slack 26er hardtail too. This bike is for tamer trails and bikepacking

Just missing a few touches: peel rim decals, swap headset, seat clamp and stem face plate for black. -[HTML_REMOVED] Rim Decals are staying for the time being as they are marginally less offensive than the Stans decals (I destickered my 26er stans rims).
I like my Rasta Headset. :smokey:

Do I spy dual control? -[HTML_REMOVED] Nope, just bog standard SLX shifters with the indicators removed and cheap Shimano M395 brakes.

What about "remove warning sticker from seat tube"? -[HTML_REMOVED] Good point, it's going.

Jan. 14, 2014, 10:01 a.m.

on my third 29'er as I had issues with the first frame (Stumpy Evo alloy - miss machined BB shell) and then the second frame cracked (Stumpy Expert carbon)

this is the third one, seems to be holding together nice, but I have not ridden it a whole heap recently.

Jan. 14, 2014, 10:14 a.m.

Still rocking the Instinct for 2014 when time permits. Lots of bikes to ride these days. Don't plan on changing much on this bike, unless a Pike finds it way on there.

Rocky Mountain Instinct, slack position
130mm travel
140mm Revelation RLT
60mm Turbine stem with 785mm Six bar.
WTB Silverado Ti saddle
Carbon hoops laced with DT Aerolite on 240 hubs. Rims are 23mm inner and about 460grams each IIRC.
XX1 Drivetrain and brakes.
Ardent 2.4 rear, DHRII 2.35 front, both TLR and EXO. The DHRII is a MaxxTerra tire while the Ardent is Dual Compound.

Weight is 27# flat with XT trail pedals, the waterbottle 1/2 full.

Although I am not a fan of white bikes, I really like this build. When I win the FVMBA raffle (positive thinking!) I'll have a really hard time chosing between the BC Ed Instinct and Rally Ed Altitude. Think the XXL would hold up to a 6'5" 270lb rider?

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Jan. 14, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

There's a place for colourful graphics and decals. I sometime yearn for a production painted frame and matchy matchy parts. But a custom build requires custom touches and debadging is one of my favorite pastimes.

Any tips for removing decals? After a couple of beers while looking at the Inbred….rather it have no decals.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 14, 2014, 11:26 a.m.

No changes to the Stumpy Evo for '14… Why change perfection? ;)

Specialized Stumpjumper Evo carbon, 135mm
'12 Fox 34 Float RLC, 140mm
785mm RF SIXC bar [HTML_REMOVED] 50mm Atlas stem
Chromag Moon ti saddle [HTML_REMOVED] Spesh Command Post
Stans Flow rims on Hope Pro 2's
XT drivetrain [HTML_REMOVED] brakes with RF Next SL cranks
Butcher Control 2.3 front tire [HTML_REMOVED] currently a Maxxis HR2 2.3 on the back
27lbs or thereabouts

800km on this bike now [HTML_REMOVED] I'm loving it.

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:08 p.m.

Although I am not a fan of white bikes, I really like this build. When I win the FVMBA raffle (positive thinking!) I'll have a really hard time chosing between the BC Ed Instinct and Rally Ed Altitude. Think the XXL would hold up to a 6'5" 270lb rider?

At 6'5" you will find the XL Altitude a bit small. The Instinct will be a good fit in the XXL. The BC build is quite suitable not only for rough terrain but also a 270lb rider. Beefier rims, bar, fork, etc. If wanting to make things stouter, I'd swap in an Atlas stem, potentially a 35MM stem+bar combo. The shock is already 1 compression tune heavier than the rest of the Instincts, but you might find that you need a larger air volume spacer to tune the end stroke feel.

Any tips for removing decals? After a couple of beers while looking at the Inbred….rather it have no decals.

Hhhmmm any decal over the clear coat is easy enough to peel away. When the going gets tough, just buy some sticker remover fluid. I think lighter fluid does the trick also?