NSMB - 2014 – 29er Thread

April 1, 2014, 8:23 p.m.

corrected, thanks morg

hmmmm maybe blue paint makes a bike slacker the way red paint makes it faster

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 1, 2014, 10:16 p.m.

Did you straighten the Surface photo before you cut and slapped the images together? I always make sure both axles sit on a horizontal line but you can see pretty clearly that the Surface is not even sitting square to the camera.

flickr

April 2, 2014, 4:33 p.m.

I literally just drooled a little. That surface looks sick. Looking forward to getting mine so badly. Just waiting on parts now, like many others here.

Jon-boy.

April 2, 2014, 5:13 p.m.

I literally just drooled a little. That surface looks sick. Looking forward to getting mine so badly. Just waiting on parts now, like many others here.

There's going to be a flood of build pics on here hopefully in a week.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

April 3, 2014, 10:44 p.m.

This is my project for the coming months.

2013 XL Prime, CBDBa CS, 2014 Float CTD FIT
[ATTACH]9834[/ATTACH]

Not shown: Derby Heavy Duty 29" Rims

edit - don't know how to make my pic visible

April 4, 2014, 8:02 a.m.

[ATTACH]9834[/ATTACH]

Nice start

April 4, 2014, 9:03 a.m.

big wheel shredding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtXcB-SvnIY
the lines are blurring…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 4, 2014, 9:09 a.m.

[ATTACH]9834[/ATTACH]

Jenson USA recently had Prime frames on sale (seems they have one XL left). Are there different generations of Prime or are they all pretty much the same?

That looks like a cool build.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 4, 2014, 9:33 a.m.

Are there different generations of Prime or are they all pretty much the same?

there were a limited number of pre-production frames sold by banshee, i think 50? after that, afaik, all of the frames have been the same. from someone who owned both a v1 and v2:

• the production version is 1lb or so lighter- which is very noticeable on the uphills and rollers.
  • The suspension feel on the production version feels more progressive to me. More supple at the top, a little more active, yet rides higher in the travel and ramps up more towards the end. That's how it feels to me anyways-running the same shock on both frames.
  • The flipchip design on the production frame is a nice improvement- aside from being lighter and easier to adjust, it actually shortens the wheelbase as you steepen the head angle [HTML_REMOVED] raise the BB. The pre-production frames are opposite- the wheelbase grows slightly as you steepen the angles.
  • The head tube length is actually a wash, if you run an interal/0-stack upper cup on the proto frame.
  • Seat tube is a little steeper [HTML_REMOVED] I think wheelbase is mm's shorter.
  • the front end of the pre-production frame feels just slightly stiffer to me (1.5 head tube [HTML_REMOVED] thicker-walled TT/DT?)

re's frame is a v2, ftr

April 4, 2014, 11:39 a.m.

Thanks for posting the pic auzz-man.

My build, tentatively, is this:
Wheels- Derby rims on 350 hubs, 150mm rear
Cockpit- Chromag BZA bar and stem, X9 shifters, Avid/Sram brakes X7? X9?, Guide?
Drivetrain- X0 and X9 2x10 - hopefully carbon cranks, clutch derailleur
Pedals- Chromag Scarab and/or the new-ish CB DH clipless
Post and saddle- KS Lev 150mm and Chromag Trailmaster
Tires- Hans Dampf F[HTML_REMOVED]R, maybe an Ardent on the rear. The tire decision is up for debate.

Finances and deals are dependent on what and how I'll be piecing this build together. I hope I can have it completed in under 2 months.

I've been following the 1x/how many chainrings thread. I've been riding a Honzo for the last few seasons with a 28T 1x9 (36T on the cassette) and have been alright with it, sorta. Sure it makes you stronger but I find myself suffering at the start of the season and even towards the end! For the bigger rides I really wish I had a granny to drop into. I like to pedal up everything regardless of how slow I'm going and with a granny I'll at least have some gas left for the downs.
So, 2x it is!

I'm excited because it's new in more than just a "new bike". This will be the first time I've been on a mini link bike. I've been on variations of Horst links (Turner 6Pack and Knolly Delirium) and linkage single pivots (Kona Stab and Stinky).
I'm willing to put the time in to adjust, if needed, to enjoy the ride.
I love the fit of my Hozo and how I'm a monster truck on it. I can't wait to be unstoppable on the Prime!

April 4, 2014, 11:42 a.m.

Thanks for posting the pic auzz-man.

My build, tentatively, is this:
Wheels- Derby rims on 350 hubs, 150mm rear
Cockpit- Chromag BZA bar and stem, X9 shifters, Avid/Sram brakes X7? X9?, Guide?
Drivetrain- X0 and X9 2x10 - hopefully carbon cranks, clutch derailleur
Pedals- Chromag Scarab and/or the new-ish CB DH clipless
Post and saddle- KS Lev 150mm and Chromag Trailmaster
Tires- Hans Dampf F[HTML_REMOVED]R, maybe an Ardent on the rear. The tire decision is up for debate.

Finances and deals are dependent on what and how I'll be piecing this build together. I hope I can have it completed in under 2 months.

I've been following the 1x/how many chainrings thread. I've been riding a Honzo for the last few seasons with a 28T 1x9 (36T on the cassette) and have been alright with it, sorta. Sure it makes you stronger but I find myself suffering at the start of the season and even towards the end! For the bigger rides I really wish I had a granny to drop into. I like to pedal up everything regardless of how slow I'm going and with a granny I'll at least have some gas left for the downs.
So, 2x it is!

I'm excited because it's new in more than just a "new bike". This will be the first time I've been on a mini link bike. I've been on variations of Horst links (Turner 6Pack and Knolly Delirium) and linkage single pivots (Kona Stab and Stinky).
I love the fit of my Hozo and how I'm a monster truck on it. I can't wait to be unstoppable on the Prime!

I think you'll find that an extended 1x10 or proper 1x11 won't leave you short of gears.
If you're shredding on a Honzo you'll be unstoppable on the Prime!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 4, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

i don't think the learning curve will be too steep. the newest iteration of banshee's mini link suspension design has less chain growth built in, so there's little perceptible pedal-feedback when riding in small rings, but enough to make it feel snappy and efficient under power. likely the only adjustment you'll need to make it to remember you don't need flip a switch on your rear shock when you start climbing! that said, there's more stiffening of the rear end than on a horst link design when braking or pedaling, but it's not too bad, and definitely better than banshee's first kick at the mini-link can

I can't wait to be unstoppable on the Prime!

making the rider (feel) unstoppable is what the prime does best :)

April 5, 2014, 3:44 p.m.

This looks refreshing in a world of overpriced carbon bikes…new On-One Codeine 29er, and a 650B version is in the works… about $3500 complete with Pike RC3, CCDB Air and X01 drivetrain. Amazing value for the dollars. Frame only is about $1100 (with CCDB Air).

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOCODX01/on-one-codeine-29-sram-x01-mountain-bike

April 5, 2014, 3:54 p.m.

Yeah, that's a crazy good deal.

April 5, 2014, 7:02 p.m.

Yeah, that's a crazy good deal.

Yeah. For short people. Size Large is the biggest frame, with only an ETT of 24.4" (620mm) and reach of 16.8" (427mm). If this thing wants to compete with the likes of the Banshee Prime, SC TB LT, Kona Process 111, etc. they need to rework the sizing a bit. Especially when they say stuff like this "We recommend the shorter style of stem, from 35-55mm and 720-780mm bars."

konahonzo