NSMB - 2013 - Hardtail Build thread

March 7, 2013, 3:32 p.m.

Just found the old email from Ian. He says it's the same geo as the Samurai, but slightly heavier as it has a stouter tubeset. I personally kike the look of the trl a bit more, but that's subjective of course. With my phone, as accurate as it may or may not be, it's right on 67 HTA with the Revelation.

It's also an unbelievably stiff platform for a single speed setup, which is what I use it for mostly.

March 7, 2013, 3:52 p.m.

Just found the old email from Ian. He says it's the same geo as the Samurai, but slightly heavier as it has a stouter tubeset. I personally kike the look of the trl a bit more, but that's subjective of course. With my phone, as accurate as it may or may not be, it's right on 67 HTA with the Revelation.

It's also an unbelievably stiff platform for a single speed setup, which is what I use it for mostly.

Does yours have sliding dropouts?

Wrong. Always.

March 7, 2013, 5:14 p.m.

Does yours have sliding dropouts?

No, a Yess tensioner. I was considering getting them to put new dropouts on, but I do still like the gears at times. Will post a updated pic at one point.

March 7, 2013, 5:24 p.m.

No, a Yess tensioner. I was considering getting them to put new dropouts on, but I do still like the gears at times. Will post a updated pic at one point.

I like Joe Dicks' Surface with custom sliding dropouts. I should have went that route as well, but I didn't know at the time that such customization was allowed. Oh well live and learn.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 7, 2013, 6:28 p.m.

Chromag TRL, size L. 27.2 lbs all in. Revelation WC 150, Arch EX on 240s. Hand-me-down XTR 1X10. It's a pretty long frame, so even though it has just under 67 HA with the Revelation, it's quite roomy for the XC. Weight wise nothing to write home about, but it does the job quite well around here. Unlike my AM bike, I like the fat Hans Dampfs on the hardtail thank you very much:-) The frame weighs 6.5lbs and is basically a slightly more stout Samurai.

I just got offered first crack to pick up a 2008 TRL of a guy. Now just need my tax return.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 7, 2013, 9:42 p.m.

would be a degree slacker and bit higher i think than the numbers for the samurai on the website, as the frame geo is the same but it is/was intended to be run with a longer fork (as awesterner has it). now the trl seems to be a custom "ask if you are in the know" model no longer on the website; who knows if the geo has been updated along with the samurai or kept the same? probably best to ask ian: [email protected]

My statement was based on a conversation I had with Julian. It's the same as the Samurai.

Shed head!

March 8, 2013, 4:15 p.m.

I like Joe Dicks' Surface with custom sliding dropouts. I should have went that route as well, but I didn't know at the time that such customization was allowed. Oh well live and learn.

not sure it was an option on the first generation, though it may well have been if you asked nicely. as with a lot all surface orders I got the ball rolling a good nine months before I saw the bike. also if I did not get the drops I wanted it would have been a deal breaker for me. that said Ian did not really bat an eye at the request once we hashed out the details.

I ran gears on this bike for a while and was really impressed with how well it worked. the combo of the type two derailleur and horizontal drops makes for easy wheel removal.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

March 8, 2013, 6:13 p.m.

Much obliged thanks!

March 14, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

someone buy my chromag TRL and step up to the plate with a handbuilt steel frame that will never let you down:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=149446

March 15, 2013, 10:25 a.m.

someone buy my chromag TRL and step up to the plate with a handbuilt steel frame that will never let you down:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=149446

Sorry dude. If it was a Large I'd be all over that.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 13, 2013, 10:50 p.m.

It's so awesome it needs 2 threads.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 14, 2013, 1:03 p.m.

'mil, you swapped a Stylus for the Samurai?

flickr

April 14, 2013, 1:35 p.m.

'mil, you swapped a Stylus for the Samurai?

Yes. I am now 10% faster.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 14, 2013, 2:27 p.m.

Why the change, other than being BC-built?

flickr

April 14, 2013, 2:38 p.m.

Why the change, other than being BC-built?

Well, 7 years ago saw the TRL at Dizzy on W 4th during a 2 week visit in December. At the time was on. Stuff and wanted something steel. Loved it when I saw it. Unfortunately with wedding in April and Joely being pregnant a compromise had to be made. So went with the Stylus as it was $750 instead of the $1300 I think it was at the time for the Samurai. And I figured one day in the future one would be available and the timing would work.

Had my eyes on a used TRL out here which would have worked but then this came along thanks to Boom. Add in a assembly sub contract job and a maybe it was the Northern Lights working their magic. But everything came together.

edit,

Just came back from a short raz in the woods.

Morgan, other thing was my riding style has changed a bit since 2007. Have evolved into more of a wheels on the ground style . So the long top tube will be better. The Stylus isn't disappearing as I had Joely ride it a little bit last week just to see how she liked that geometry and she prefers it over her spent one. So it will end up being built back up pretty much the same as it was prior to the Samurai's arrival.

And in a week she will get raced.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk