NSMB - 2013 - Hardtail Build thread

March 5, 2013, 3:27 p.m.

i have a vision in my head of a rebuild of my chromag that could cause the heads of two brians to spontaneously and simultaneously explode

:)

Go for it.

Head might not explode but I'll certainly tell you if it looks like ass.

March 5, 2013, 5:04 p.m.

Go for it.

Head might not explode but I'll certainly tell you if it looks like ass.

Given what he said about that Cannondale, it's pretty much a guarantee it'll look like ass.

I don't mind swoopy tubes, but that Cannondale just looks wrong.

March 5, 2013, 5:08 p.m.

I don't mind swoopy tubes, but that Cannondale just looks wrong.

what the… weren't you riding one of those at the 4k?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 5, 2013, 5:20 p.m.

what the… weren't you riding one of those at the 4k?

Jekyll no swoopy.

March 5, 2013, 5:46 p.m.

Jekyll doesn't look like it got front humped by an american football player.
The Claymore does - that seatpost doesn't help though.

March 5, 2013, 7:09 p.m.

now that you mention it/i look at it again, that goofed out seatpost really matches the swoopy swoopy lines all over the frame :lol:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 5, 2013, 10:45 p.m.

I ran a 1/2" setback post flipped forward on a track bike that I was riding on the street, as the TT bars were quite low and the fit required an aggressive position. It turned out to be a successful build as I ended up winning a 30 km street race on it in a field of 25 people.

TT bikes, however, are notoriously ugly, and any forward setback installation has to be solely with function in mind. Most of the people involved in this conversation right now would buy a new frame over running a forward setback :lol:

edit: It was this bike, a Rocky Mountain Boroughs, still in the possession of a trusted friend. (Photo before the setback post, but the right bar/stem.)

Another photo, with the three bars I ran on it. Drops were way too low as the bike had no headtube, but required for the track. Risers were most comfortable and the way it was configured the majority of the time. I launched it bike off a 16 set of stairs by accident, bent the fork and destroyed both rims – but the bike lives on.

flickr

March 6, 2013, 5 a.m.

The hardtails I'm rockin right now:

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

March 6, 2013, 9:15 a.m.

TT bikes, however, are notoriously ugly, and any forward setback installation has to be solely with function in mind. Most of the people involved in this conversation right now would buy a new frame over running a forward setback :lol:

Unless you were using the bike to race sanctioned road events in which case the forward position is probably illegal under UCI rules. To me an extreme forward position means the bike does not fit or the person has an unusual proportion. I am the opposite to many with long legs for my height and long femurs. I need at least a 74 seat angle and then I will also have the saddle all the way back on the rails and with the most offset post I can get. Many mountain bikes have a 73 sa which suits me well with a 15 - 25 mm set back post. Road bikes in my size are often stupid steep. Like 75 sa. Can't fit that easily. My old Scott had such a steep seat angle but I was able to locate a 35mm set back FSA post and with an Arrione saddle which has long rails I could just make it fit. For the record I am probably under 5'5" (age related spine shrinkage) with a 31 inseam.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 6, 2013, 12:52 p.m.

Reborn DMR.

So much fun! Have a shorter stem/bar combo for when things get jumpy but this 100mm stem setup is working well on the trails right now.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

March 7, 2013, 8:09 a.m.

Chromag TRL, size L. 27.2 lbs all in. Revelation WC 150, Arch EX on 240s. Hand-me-down XTR 1X10. It's a pretty long frame, so even though it has just under 67 HA with the Revelation, it's quite roomy for the XC. Weight wise nothing to write home about, but it does the job quite well around here. Unlike my AM bike, I like the fat Hans Dampfs on the hardtail thank you very much:-) The frame weighs 6.5lbs and is basically a slightly more stout Samurai.

Any chance you have a couple of geo numbers for that bad boy?? TT and Seat tube(center-top) mostly, but interested in the head/seat tube angle also

It's a hell of bitchin bike that's for sure!!

Thanks!

March 7, 2013, 9:51 a.m.

Reborn DMR.

So much fun! Have a shorter stem/bar combo for when things get jumpy but this 100mm stem setup is working well on the trails right now.

I am revisiting the singlespeed idea. What appeals to me is the simplicity of the drivetrain, the purity of the ride and the incredible work out I'd get grinding my way up hills. How are you liking it? When I was a wee lad I put stupid miles on my bmx and rarely found myself wishing for gears. Mind you, I was high a lot of the time.

Wrong. Always.

March 7, 2013, 11:46 a.m.

^^^

BB I've always been a single speed fan. I think what appeals to me most is the silence and solid feel you get with nothing slapping around.

If you have a geared fully AM/Trail/Enduro and are building a hardtail as a second bike then I think single-speed is the way to go. I tend to error on the lighter side for gearing. You may spin out way too easy on downhills, but it helps with learning to keep momentum high when exiting corners.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

March 7, 2013, 12:42 p.m.

Any chance you have a couple of geo numbers for that bad boy?? TT and Seat tube(center-top) mostly, but interested in the head/seat tube angle also

It's a hell of bitchin bike that's for sure!!

Thanks!

I believe the numbers are the same as the Samurai.

Shed head!

March 7, 2013, 1:13 p.m.

I believe the numbers are the same as the Samurai.

would be a degree slacker and bit higher i think than the numbers for the samurai on the website, as the frame geo is the same but it is/was intended to be run with a longer fork (as awesterner has it). now the trl seems to be a custom "ask if you are in the know" model no longer on the website; who knows if the geo has been updated along with the samurai or kept the same? probably best to ask ian: [email protected]