NSMB - 2013 - Enduro/Trail Bike Build thread

Feb. 6, 2013, 2:04 p.m.

Looks good No Style
I'm just waiting for some wheels to be built then I'll have mine done.
I hope you have better luck than me not bending your stinger. With the low stays its pretty exposed.
With no bash your terrain must be pretty mellow though.
I might try the ISX6 on mine but the fox is feeling pretty good.

Thank you too!!
Edit: Sorry Burke Ryder, something is killing my Typing ???

Feb. 6, 2013, 2:08 p.m.

unless the bike is designed around an air shock

Not necessarily always the case.

SC specifically said the Blur 4X and LT were air specific and they recommended against a coil, yet I found both bikes climb and descend better with a coil. Even my wife preferred the coil when I switched the shock out on her LT when selling my 4X, and she's not exactly a stomper.

I could be wrong, but I feel like some of you guys are missing out.

Feb. 6, 2013, 5:24 p.m.

You might want to give a RS monarch RT3 plus a try. Near DBair performance with the ability to add some pedal platform if you want. A little bird told me that Banshee really liked the performance of it with the LL tune much better than the Fox CTD and it will likely be an option in 2014.

I really liked my monarch on my original spitfire when I had it and would have got the monarch RT3 for the Rune I have waiting to be built but decided to go with the DBair as I couldn't get it without a shock.

I have the Monarch+ on my NomadC and it works really well. It kicks the stock RP23 to the curb when it comes to absorbing hits and the 3 compression settings have a really nice, distinct feel to them. Super plush, but not wallowy, when it is wide open, firm but plush in the middle position and excellent pedaling in the firm position. The nice thing about it is that none of the settings feel platformy, they all feel smooth and all give great traction but with different levels of bump absorption.

Feb. 7, 2013, 11:06 p.m.

Am I doing it right?

The frame is too bright and my camera phone can't handle it. I'll try to get some more HQ ones with a scale shot.

28.1 lbs plus chain resting on the saddle with full XTR Knolly spec (all claims for the time being). With the XX kit, my large with paint would be under 28lbs but this is so sexy.

I still need to finish putting it together but I'm injured so I'm in no rush. I have never owned clips but I guess its time to buy a set for something like this. A KS lev is coming to add some more weight on.

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Feb. 7, 2013, 11:46 p.m.

Am I doing it right?

The frame is too bright and my camera phone can't handle it. I'll try to get some more HQ ones with a scale shot.

28.1 lbs plus chain resting on the saddle with full XTR Knolly spec (all claims for the time being). With the XX kit, my large with paint would be under 28lbs but this is so sexy.

I still need to finish putting it together but I'm injured so I'm in no rush. I have never owned clips but I guess its time to buy a set for something like this. A KS lev is coming to add some more weight on.

Clearly you know that are you doing it right.

Feb. 8, 2013, 12:27 a.m.

Full Spec.
Fork - Fox 34 Float 150mmCTD ADJUST FIT
Head Set - Cane Creek "forty" series
Stem - Thomson Elite X4 70mm
Bar - Joystick Analog Carbon
Grips (pair) - Lizard Skins Knolly Charger
Brakes - Shimano XTR Trail 180/160
Shifters - Shimano XTR 2 x 10 spd
Seat Post - Thomson 31.6mm
Seat Post QR - Chromag Aluminum
Saddle - Joystick Emulator
Crankset - Shimano XTR Trail 2 x 10, 175 x 26 / 38 T
Front Derailleur - Shimano XTR E-type 2 direct
Rear Derailleur - Shimano XTR 10 spd
Cassette - Shimano XTR 11 - 36 T
Chain - Shimano 10 spd
Front Hub - Hope Pro II EVO 15mm
Rear Hub - Hope Pro II EVO 12x142
Spokes - DT Swiss Competition Black
Rims - DT Swiss XM480
Front Tire - Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35
Rear Tire - Maxxis Minion DHR 2.35
Tubes - Welter Weight Presta

I'm considering a few changes for sure to this but parts come and go. I'm really looking forward to every single XTR part on this bike, even the cassette is so nice!

Things I might change/ add:
-KS Lev seatpost. Should be here in a couple of weeks!
-Bars, the joystick stuff is strong and light but just not wide enough for my size.
-I love the feel of the fox 34 and 36 forks when on trials not too steep like a lot of ssc, squamish, lower mountain stuff on fromme/ seymour as it does have a tendency to dive on sustained steep stuff. I've found in the past that I either sacrifice small bump or firmness to get the fork set up to handle one scenario better. This is especially true as I like to ride aggressively over the bars, but I have ridden one of the new Endorphins with a 34 float before and riding it more like a trail bike instead of my DH bike also helped it to work very well. I'll probably ride it for a bit and see if James can tune it up or I will grab a Revelation and loose up to .5 lbs while I'm at it.
-I have one of those c-guides. I'm going to put velcro on the chain contact points but if I hear noise, the guide is going on.
-1x10 for the heck of it?

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Feb. 9, 2013, 1:12 p.m.

got my new bars and stem on today…. went from a 2" rise 600mm bar on a 120mm 15 degree rise stem to a 695mm 7mm rise on a 60mm 10degree stem….

before

after

Feb. 9, 2013, 1:14 p.m.

and as you can see i fixed the short front brake housing issue as well….LOL:lol:

Feb. 9, 2013, 1:41 p.m.

Sweet Chili or is that an endorphin.
Fuel um…nice, my ride feels better since I shortened and lowered the front end also.

It's no where near the lightest but here's my entry.

Medium Banshee Spitfire V2

- Lyric 1.5 u turn w/ firm spring
- xt brakes
- King hubs
- Flow ex rims
- minion tires
- etc….

Chainsmoker 8)

Feb. 9, 2013, 3:44 p.m.

and as you can see i fixed the short front brake housing issue as well….LOL:lol:

It's coming together very nicely!

Feb. 9, 2013, 4:20 p.m.

Here's my stumpjumper evo (and bonus enduro). Same bike as last year, and will very likely be the same bike for the next few years to come.

Claiming just under 29lbs with winter tires. 28 and a bit with lighter summer rubber and no mounts for lights.

Feb. 9, 2013, 6:35 p.m.

It's coming together very nicely!

not bad for a trek eh? LOL better yet, total build cost is currently $480….frame and all….(not including the brakes, levers, and derailleurs that came over from my old hard tail)

so for under 5 bills, not too shabby….

Feb. 9, 2013, 7:09 p.m.

Here's my stumpjumper evo (and bonus enduro).

I can,t wait to get mine on the trail.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Feb. 9, 2013, 8:06 p.m.

much want for the new spitty. ride reports?

Feb. 9, 2013, 8:22 p.m.

Very elegant frames, those Spitfires.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.