NSMB - 2013 - Enduro/Trail Bike Build thread

July 10, 2013, 6:31 p.m.

Very nice!

What tyres/tires are those and do have a weight?

The tire are Bontrager XR4

They are 2.35" tubeless tires and weigh 760grams and roll stupidly fast.
I is hard to say how they corner after just one solid ride on them but their ability to roll up to speed is crazy.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

July 10, 2013, 9:41 p.m.

what rim and tubeless set-up are you running as well Dean .

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 13, 2013, 10:46 a.m.

The tire are Bontrager XR4

They are 2.35" tubeless tires and weigh 760grams and roll stupidly fast.
I is hard to say how they corner after just one solid ride on them but their ability to roll up to speed is crazy.

Those came stock on my Remedy, one ride in the mud and you may change your tune. They are stupid fast on dry hardpack and smooth bermed corners but I found that once it got a little rough/rooty, loose rock or wet they got really skittish. I had to take them off during the winter/spring. But yeah, they are really fast in the dry :)

July 13, 2013, 11:29 a.m.

Not just any fatbike, a rad custom Rick Hunter fatbike.

So random. Helped buddy get parts for that before the NAHBS-fest.

July 13, 2013, 6:13 p.m.

Anyone tried the Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced Reinforced 2.35? (say that 3 times fast). I remember that when michelin re-released their tires people were underwhelmed, but I've heard some good things about these?

Check my stuff for sale!

July 14, 2013, 12:29 p.m.

They got good reviews over here in Europe.
They tend to roll a tiny bit worse than the best tires of each category, but they have good thread life, great grip and really good pinch flat resistance and relatively sturdy sidewalls.

I think the newer tires are tubeless ready also. Not too sure on that though.

They are considerably cheaper than Schwalbe or continental. Like 20 percent less, street prices.

I'd try them.

July 15, 2013, 12:46 p.m.

Will kind of miss this thing a little bit. Went to a new home on Friday.

July 18, 2013, 7:48 p.m.

Can't wait to see more info on this.

July 22, 2013, 9:12 a.m.

Those came stock on my Remedy, one ride in the mud and you may change your tune. They are stupid fast on dry hardpack and smooth bermed corners but I found that once it got a little rough/rooty, loose rock or wet they got really skittish. I had to take them off during the winter/spring. But yeah, they are really fast in the dry :)

Pfffft……..you sir are correct……The Bontrager XR4s are absolute GARBAGE!!

Fast rolling but that is about it. When the ground is loose and dry they don't hook up at all. The Tubeless Ready bead doesn't hold air (lost 30 PSI in a corner and wiped out on the next corner due to this). They are skittish and have no bite in corners.

In the past I have been really impressed with Bontrager tires. So having seen a few favorable reviews on the tires I figured I would give them a try. Big mistake.

I took them off my bike and put on my standby/go to tire HANS DAMPF

I was ready to burn the Bontragers but I looked on their website and found this:

Ride it and love it. If not, we’ll take it back.
It’s that simple.

If for any reason you’re not satisfied with your Bontrager products, return the item - along with the original sales receipt - to the place of purchase within 30 days of purchase date for exchange or store credit.

http://www.bontrager.com/products/components/tires#model_guarantee

I will see if BSP in Langley honors this Guarantee.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

July 22, 2013, 10:03 a.m.

I was ready yo burn the Bontragers but I looked on their website and found this:
http://www.bontrager.com/products/components/tires#model_guarantee

I will see if BSP in Langley honors this Guarantee.

No reason they shouldn't. Trek are super easy to deal with for warranty apparently.

July 24, 2013, 1:51 p.m.

No reason they shouldn't. Trek are super easy to deal with for warranty apparently.

I was rather impressed with BSP Langley.

I brought in the tires. Said I just didn't like the tires. Said the warranty on Bontragers site says I can return tires within 30 days and they gave me my money back.

I was expecting a store credit but I got a refund. Great service BSP Langley!!

Now on the weekend I had a wicked ride on my new Rune with Hans Dampfs!!
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/323945/

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

July 24, 2013, 2:48 p.m.

Can't wait to see more info on this.

Yep that is one trick bikestand. SRAM/Shimano specific?

Cheers Ben

July 24, 2013, 6:59 p.m.

just a few tweaks for this yr. 55 wc Ti with -1.5 works components headset (65.5*), dropper post and clutch r der . just waiting on a 30t rf ring

July 25, 2013, 3:51 a.m.

Sweet vid Dean! Do you mind if I post that on the banshee facebook page? I'm sure lot of people would enjoy watching it.

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com

July 28, 2013, 6:20 p.m.

So being a man of principle and a devout hater of 29ers, there was really only one thing that I could do…..and that was….errrr….buy one!

I went for a fairly humble / subtle build (not much stock stuff left on the bike), and used some stuff from my old bikes. I got the weight down to just over 30lb without going mad and spending a shit load. I like to think it's fairly well thought out though :nerd:

Ghost AMR2955 with stock fork, shock and wheels.
Raceface Next bar, Turbine stem, Deus cranks and 30t Narrow / Wide ring
XT Clutch derailleur
A cassette of some sort (but I added a totally bad-ass red alloy lockring…)
X-Fusion Hilo uppy downy seatpost. Not as cool as some but you press a lever and the saddle goes up or down. It's not really meant to do anything else is it?
Hans Dampf / Purg tires (thanks DrewM!)

I took it out for it's virgin mission today and purposely rode my most hated trails on the planet (otherwise know as Leppard, Crinkum Crankum etc….)…. and had a really enjoyable ride. WTF…. Maybe there is something to be said for keeping up with trends after all….

treezz
wow you are a ass