NSMB - 2012 Light DH Bike Build Off 7"+

May 28, 2012, 3:15 p.m.

I'm about 200 lbs with gear.

damn, you've let yourself go…

May 28, 2012, 3:22 p.m.

~30 psi. I found 35 psi (and no more) resolved the issue but if I wasn't careful and let the pressure drop below 30 and went riding…..BOOM!

I'm about 200 lbs with gear.

The hassle every once in awhile just got old and the weight savings didn't mean much to me anymore. I'm back on Continental tubes from MEC. Love em.

I rode these around 30psi at Whistler and there were a few moments where I was definitely a bit nervous as the tires took a tremendous lateral impact on some of my less smooth moments but they were totally hassle free.

I'm about 160 with gear.

I will probably run them at 35psi on a long term basis so as to not worry as much.

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

May 28, 2012, 3:42 p.m.

Yeah, I've always run them at 35psi and have never had an issue (touch wood!).

May 28, 2012, 4:07 p.m.

I have something en route….and actual proper DH bike. Just in time for summer. Photos when it's complete.

Is it a new Norco Aurum blinged right out?

May 28, 2012, 4:12 p.m.

I had a go with the EXO tires in the front on my DH bike with an 819 using stans goo. I decided to give up in the name of safety and was pleasently rewarded with the added bonus of better traction and shock absorbtion. I felt a bit foolish for having wasted so much time on an inferior performing tire, and can't imagine how foolish I would have felt if I broke my body in the process. I had a few blowouts running 30-35psi in the front (I weigh 150lbs) and in the end figured I'd end up in hospital eventually thanks to an untimely fail.

The two things that affect your ride more than anything else are suspension and tires. Compromising these to save weight that is barely noticeable on a bike that only goes downhill is a curious endevour. I tried and failed and am now better off for it carrying an extra pound or so and have the benefit of maximum plushness, control and traction. To me it's a much better result than a nice scale shot.

May 28, 2012, 4:32 p.m.

^ I think you would have found that a wider profile, short sidewall, tubeless compatible rim or wheel would have been fine with a EXO tire. For example, the ADD wheelset or a ZTR Flow rim work well with the EXO tires. A 819 is simply too narrow and will give the EXO tire a rounded profile with no support.

May 28, 2012, 4:45 p.m.

damn, you've let yourself go…

Shut it you runt

May 28, 2012, 5:54 p.m.

^ I think you would have found that a wider profile, short sidewall, tubeless compatible rim or wheel would have been fine with a EXO tire. For example, the ADD wheelset or a ZTR Flow rim work well with the EXO tires. A 819 is simply too narrow and will give the EXO tire a rounded profile with no support.

indeed… I'm down with fat rims…

there's an innuendo there somewhere. :eek:

Check my stuff for sale!

May 28, 2012, 7:44 p.m.

Is it a new Norco Aurum blinged right out?

That's like asking kperras if his new ride is gonna be anything other than the latest Rocky haha. You're not playing fair. Photos when it's done.

Shed head!

May 28, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

I think you are right that the 819 is too narrow. It's strange that mavic doesn't offer an 821, but it sounds like these Stan's rims keep getting good reviews. However, I was having issues with the Exo tires in more ways than just blowing off the rim. I sliced a sidewall (and it went off like a shotgun followed by me riding through a rock garden on a bare rim for its grand finale) and I had a number of flats, some of which also resulted in a dented rim. After switching back I found the DH casing and the softer compound of the super tacky tire to provide other benefits that I forgot I was missing. I'm quite happy to keep running it on the front of my trail bike, but I've lost confidence using one on a DH bike and even though a rim change may keep it on the rim I don't think I will ever feel as solid and safe charging hard on one like I do on a DH casing tire. It's also too bad the 3C compound is harder on the exo than the DH version or I may try harder to get it to work.

May 28, 2012, 9:22 p.m.

It's also too bad the 3C compound is harder on the exo than the DH version or I may try harder to get it to work.

Is it?

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

May 28, 2012, 10:49 p.m.

Is it?

It is, but justly so. It's an AM tire after all.

Older gen tires are 70/60/50 for base/middle/side. Newer tires are 70/50/42. Not sure when the compound was changed but the HR2 should have the newer compound.

May 28, 2012, 10:58 p.m.

Apparently the Maxxis site lists an EXO Minion with the Super Tacky compound. Also no sign of a wire 2.5 3C DHF…must be a typo.

May 29, 2012, 12:24 a.m.

It is, but justly so. It's an AM tire after all.

Older gen tires are 70/60/50 for base/middle/side. Newer tires are 70/50/42. Not sure when the compound was changed but the HR2 should have the newer compound.

You mean the newer 3C EXOs are softer compound or the DH casing ones are? I have 3C EXO minions that I got last summer and they are a bit twitchy in the wet - if they were a little softer it would be nice, even at the cost of rolling resistance.

May 29, 2012, 12:29 a.m.

The newer EXOs are softer.