NSMB - 2012 Light AM Hard Tail build off 4-7"

July 8, 2012, 10:50 p.m.

this one goes to 1. or 11 if you swing that way.

Do want

July 9, 2012, 10:10 a.m.

Me want too.

Here's a question though…obviously horizontal dropouts is the way to go if you want to run singlespeed. But if I want to run geared (which I would for most of the time likely) what are the disadvantages compared to verticle dropouts? Is there an issue when running disk brakes? Is the rear wheel less stable (ie more likely to slide forward and back?) There must be a disadvantage of some kind otherwise all frames would have horizontal dropouts, right? Is it simply that it's harder to get the brakes lined up?
=/

Wrong. Always.

July 9, 2012, 12:19 p.m.

Me want too.

Here's a question though…obviously horizontal dropouts is the way to go if you want to run singlespeed. But if I want to run geared (which I would for most of the time likely) what are the disadvantages compared to verticle dropouts? Is there an issue when running disk brakes? Is the rear wheel less stable (ie more likely to slide forward and back?) There must be a disadvantage of some kind otherwise all frames would have horizontal dropouts, right? Is it simply that it's harder to get the brakes lined up?
=/

I had a DMR Trailstar with horizontal dropouts and derailleur. Rear D was mounted on a tab that was held in the dropout by the rear QR/axle. So, the whole lot came out when you wanted to change a tire. A PITA and I swore off horizontal dropouts (at least with derailleurs).

Cheers Ben

July 9, 2012, 12:32 p.m.

I had a DMR Trailstar with horizontal dropouts and derailleur. Rear D was mounted on a tab that was held in the dropout by the rear QR/axle. So, the whole lot came out when you wanted to change a tire. A PITA and I swore off horizontal dropouts (at least with derailleurs).

Cheers Ben

Based on my limited research, sliding dropouts or ebb might be better for me. That said I think my singlespeeding should probably stick to some sort of urban 700c bike or balloon-tire cruiser.

Wrong. Always.

July 10, 2012, 9:53 a.m.

I will hopefully have something together to contribute to the thread this weekend. Is very exciting to be back on a HT after 4 years.

July 10, 2012, 9:56 a.m.

I will hopefully have something together to contribute to the thread this weekend. Is very exciting to be back on a HT after 4 years.

I'm excited for you. Can you give us a hint?

Wrong. Always.

July 10, 2012, 6:29 p.m.

Me want too.

…..
=/

I have not set up gears on this bike yet. maybe this fall. Ian did a great job with these drops. with my surly I had to loosen the brake and move it out of the way to take off the rear wheel. I do not have to do that with this bike. I suspect with a derailleur it will be harder to remove the rear wheel.

with the 8mm bolt on hope axle/hub I have not had wheel move at all. I had to use a tug nut when I used a QR. and the brake side still seemed to drift.

more testing to come.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

July 11, 2012, 9:21 a.m.

I have not set up gears on this bike yet. maybe this fall. Ian did a great job with these drops. with my surly I had to loosen the brake and move it out of the way to take off the rear wheel. I do not have to do that with this bike. I suspect with a derailleur it will be harder to remove the rear wheel.

with the 8mm bolt on hope axle/hub I have not had wheel move at all. I had to use a tug nut when I used a QR. and the brake side still seemed to drift.

more testing to come.

Or maybe consider an internally geared hub?
:idea:

PS. I freaking LOVE that green. If I get a Surface it's either that or maybe the Creamsickle.

Wrong. Always.

July 11, 2012, 12:42 p.m.

more testing to come.

I used to run SS with vertical dropouts but I got a wheel built around a White Industries ENO eccentric hub…it came with a eccentric brake adapter as well which made it easy for removal of the wheel.

Sept. 8, 2012, 10:30 p.m.

And now for something completely different…

Titus Fireline Ti 29er

2008 Reba Race 115mm QR
2.2 Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph
Stans Flow and CK in the rear (built by me and still round), Stans tubeless.
9 mm Deore hub and OnOne rim in the front, running ghetto tubeless with a 26" tube strip.
XT Drivetrain borrowed off the heckler for now, 32T and 9sp 11-34
Noir 680 mm bars, 6" Juicy Ultimate (both carbon)
Straitline 35 mm stem and matching grip end caps

I'm not going to claim, because I haven't weighed it properly, but I'll bet it's the lightest bike that's been down Cambodia after being pedaled up the road.

Front CK/Stans combo is built, but I need a through axle fork first. A Paul Chainkeeper is in the mail - I'm getting sick of dropping the chain for no reason.

A carbon seatpost to replace the 9 year old Thompson and nice Ti seat are in the plans.

Sept. 8, 2012, 11:26 p.m.

Wow Sven… Didn't see that one coming

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 9, 2012, 6:35 a.m.

Sven just came out of the closet.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Sept. 9, 2012, 7:43 a.m.

once I am done work this rig will have a 10 gear cluster strapped on her ass end. for now, sitting on top of one of the better short decents in this corner of the province. an out and back. enter your "single speeds dont work in :my location:" comments here.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Sept. 9, 2012, 8:57 a.m.

This one is from the first batch of Raijin's. These are photos are from when it was brand new, I should take some updates but really not much has changed.

My favourite bike I have owned and what I took on 99% of my rides this summer. It replaced my singlespeed and my Honzo, and while the Honzo is still a more fun descender, overall this bike just has a certain flow to it.

33:21 for the people interested in that sort of thing.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Sept. 9, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

^^^Sweet,like the ghost buster slimer dude.