NSMB - 2012 Light AM Hard Tail build off 4-7"

Jan. 20, 2012, 8:43 p.m.

It's the magic gear ratio for chain length with the chainstays of that bike - but if you were more just curious as to how that translates you can take the gear ratio (32/21) and multiply it by (29/26) since circumference is linear .. results in 1.700, and 32/1.700 is 18.82… so 32:19 is close

Jan. 21, 2012, 12:07 a.m.

… so 32:19 is close

I would have guessed 32:19 from my previous experience with 26" singlespeeds (pedaling similar tires), so that is kind of cool.

For a lot of the riding I do 32:22 would make more sens, but 32:21 is a pretty good magic gear.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Jan. 21, 2012, 8:05 a.m.

Here's my elite no-holds-barred "industry" build. :lol:

18" Kona Steely
Revelation RLT Ti Dual Air @ 130mm w/ 20mm
2x9 speed drivetrain w/ x9 derailleur and x7 shifters going into their 4th season, old parts bin XT front der. 990 cassette and 991 hollow chain, truvativ aka crankset
WTB Stryker AM wheels (very pleased with them,) 2.2 schwalbes with stans goo
thomson stem/post, lynx dt seat, deity blacklabel bar chopped to 29.5"-ish.
XT brakes, NSB brake adaptors (yay local)
crank bros. iodine headset and new mallet 2 pedals.

learned today that I could save 30 VALUABLE grams with a different bottle cage, but I'm torn because it has red accents.

edit: can I just say I heart the shit out of this tire combo? just the right amount of drifty with the nobby nic on the back and the fat albert front is nice and sure footed. went for a ride today and the bike felt so dialed traction-wise.

I totally forgot about the Kona Steely. Maybe this is the answer to my prayers (I pray about the important issues in life…). The geo hits the spot. Wheel size? Well, it has wheels. Anyone happen to know the weight of the frame? It doesn't matter too much as long as it isn't 7lb…

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 21, 2012, 8:35 a.m.

I totally forgot about the Kona Steely. Maybe this is the answer to my prayers (I pray about the important issues in life…). The geo hits the spot. Wheel size? Well, it has wheels. Anyone happen to know the weight of the frame? It doesn't matter too much as long as it isn't 7lb…

~6-lbs.

The 7-lb frame weight of the Honzo is the only detractor. I LOVE the geo (and short stays) but for the Shore-XC riding I do it is hugely overkill on the durability scale.

Not enough so that I don't love riding it, but Old Fart would have to strap TWO extra SantaCruz carbon frames on to his current one to achieve the same weight (and we ride similarly).

Can't weight (pun intended) for my Raijin!

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Jan. 21, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

~6-lbs.

The 7-lb frame weight of the Honzo is the only detractor. I LOVE the geo (and short stays) but for the Shore-XC riding I do it is hugely overkill on the durability scale.

Not enough so that I don't love riding it, but Old Fart would have to strap TWO extra SantaCruz carbon frames on to his current one to achieve the same weight (and we ride similarly).

Can't weight (pun intended) for my Raijin!

-D

Thanks Drew (I wrote 'Tanks Drew' in error, but either would be pretty apt!)

6lb is certainly bearable and at the price, I could finally build myself some lighter wheels but keep my old faithfuls for the odd Whistler day.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 21, 2012, 9:23 a.m.

Norco team re-issue - Reynolds, current winter bike for commuting and XC/Trail riding.

Deets:
Easton EA90XC wheels (amazing so far - similar to the haven's only with a 19mm rim, can be adapted either QR of 15mm)
RS Revelation set to 120mm travel - 9mm qr
Currently 2.1 Conti Speed King tires - just the right compromise for commuting and riding trail without swapping anything
2x10 x0 setup (derailleurs-brakes-shifters) with x9 crank - 11-36t PG1070 cassette
Pedals have been changed to Time ATAC clipless since the pic was taken

scale pic coming soon.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Jan. 21, 2012, 10:57 a.m.

^^^^^Nice purchase, I used to have that bike. Saw that one on Pinkbike. Really good deal.

Shed head!

Jan. 21, 2012, 12:11 p.m.

More of a dirt jumper I suppose but I'm back to riding this for the time being (have since fitted front brake and chain tensioner). Not sure on weight but I think around 30lbs probably. Not very flash looking, needs a new lick of paint.

Feels weird riding a HT again, not sure if I like it. I miss having some squish on the back, it feels really dead when landing flatter drops and jumps.

Jan. 21, 2012, 7:20 p.m.

^^^^^Nice purchase, I used to have that bike. Saw that one on Pinkbike. Really good deal.

Yours was dreamy, I really liked the way you had it built up (both when you had it geared and SS), made me want one. When this large one came up, I sold my XC commuter and jumped on the opportunity.

How did you find the transition from the Reissue to the TransAM?

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Jan. 21, 2012, 8:07 p.m.

Yours was dreamy, I really liked the way you had it built up (both when you had it geared and SS), made me want one. When this large one came up, I sold my XC commuter and jumped on the opportunity.

How did you find the transition from the Reissue to the TransAM?

Reynolds 853 is definitely more of a supple feel than my current ride which is 4130 cromo. Angles of the 853 definitely leaned more towards the XC side where I wanted a more aggressive HA. You won't be disappointed with that bike, it's awesome.

Shed head!

Jan. 22, 2012, 5:15 p.m.

(not in the running - rear is only a 2.1) 25# on the nose. UST rear, tubed front. 20mm front/10mm bolt rear. 150mm Revelation Dual Air, Gravity Dropper post, 1x10 drive, Elixir brakes.

New frame from a local guy. Just finished getting it together, no ride time other than playing around the block a little this evening. Near clone of my TransAM frame, but a bit refined, nicer/lighter steel. Gassing the pedals make the thing motor nicely. Very flickable and easy to whip around. Me likey.

44mm headtube - only thing I needed a new part for. New headset.

Pepto. Frame came in at 4.5# - nearly 1.5# less than the TransAM.

Need a new cable/housing for my Gravity Dropper remote, so the non-remote bits are back on at the moment. Will ride it that way a bit, but am sure I'll miss the remote.

If someone threw wads of cash at me, would love to see how light it could get without making the ride too skittish or compromising durability and my preferences in ride/handling.

Jan. 22, 2012, 7:26 p.m.

What tubing did you use Scrub?

Exact same geo as the Trans-Am?

Jan. 22, 2012, 7:48 p.m.

What tubing did you use Scrub?

Exact same geo as the Trans-Am?

Slightly lower BB height, a half degree slacker HTA, shorter overall WB. 16.5" stays. Otherwise, nearly the same as my size small TransAM.

It's nothing crazy fancy. A lightened up/butted 4130 set. I think something from Columbus, but am not sure.

Some snow over the weekend, coupled with mid-40's F temps tomorrow means I won't probably get to see actual dirt for a few days.

Jan. 22, 2012, 8:56 p.m.

That looks great and it took a while, I remember when you first started talking about it. Nice weight compared to the TransAM. Can you fit big tires like on the TA? Nice lamp as well. ;)

konahonzo

Jan. 22, 2012, 9:02 p.m.

That looks great and it took a while, I remember when you first started talking about it. Nice weight compared to the TransAM. Can you fit big tires like on the TA? Nice lamp as well. ;)

Should be fine on the tires, at least for what I like to run.