NSMB - 2011 Light Commuter Build Off

March 9, 2011, 12:29 p.m.

Changed to shortened straight hipster handlebar and regular brakelevers + front brake since this pic was taken. Run it SS to work and it has served me well for about 3 years now.

March 9, 2011, 1:31 p.m.

I'm interested in the mokka pot. The big one on the left.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 16, 2011, 4:53 p.m.

I hooked up my Worldbike a bit.

Kona Explosif frame, maybe 2007-8? Deddaccai tubing, had it kicking around my storage unit.

Taiwan Project 2 fork, instead of the Cambodian one it came with.

NOS Mavic Crossmax front wheel, circa '98.

Rebuilt the internal 3 hub on a 36h Rhyno Lite with 14g DT swiss spokes.

2.35" Larsen TT's kevlar, F[HTML_REMOVED]R.

FSA carbon post, and road saddle.

I also added some knog lights.

It's 24.75 lbs, with fenders and lights. Pretty fun!

Still have the disgusting tektro levers, and a boat anchor cheapie BB. I know I have a UN-72 bb kicking around, and am trying to dig up some nicer levers. Hoping to get it under 24 without fenders.

March 16, 2011, 5:49 p.m.

im pretty new around here but i thought id post here :)

This an old picture of my bike a commencal super normal , running the old nuvinci hub. I've got the new lighter, smaller, better in every way version now.

This is the eccentric bottom bracket I'm running to avoid using a tensioner.

Pushing the hipster envelope i know :) At least it freewheels and can change gear ratio. :P

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

March 16, 2011, 6:14 p.m.

This is the eccentric bottom bracket I'm running to avoid using a tensioner.

Where can I find that? Looks cool

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

March 16, 2011, 6:46 p.m.

is that an eccentric bb for standard shells? the only one i've ever heard of is the philcentric

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 16, 2011, 8:05 p.m.

standard shell. I've been fairly happy with it.

http://www.forwardcycle.com/

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

March 16, 2011, 9:23 p.m.

I'm interested in the mokka pot. The big one on the left.

Woops! Missed this one. That's an Alessi "Cupola" by Aldo Rossi. My uncle brought it back from Italy for me. It's shaped like a bullet, including the ridge at the base, but I'm guessing the name comes from the shape of the top - somewhat like Brunelleschi's dome - which is called a cupola in Italian.

flickr

March 16, 2011, 9:35 p.m.

Woops! Missed this one. That's an Alessi "Cupola" by Aldo Rossi. My uncle brought it back from Italy for me. It's shaped like a bullet, including the ridge at the base, but I'm guessing the name comes from the shape of the top - somewhat like Brunelleschi's dome - which is called a cupola in Italian.

Damn, that is a lot of coffee.:damn:

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 16, 2011, 10:04 p.m.

It's equivalent to a Bialetti 6-cup. And yes, we like to take the occasional bullet to the dome.

flickr

March 16, 2011, 11:02 p.m.

http://www.forwardcycle.com/

shit ain't cheap!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 17, 2011, 12:09 a.m.

not mine (i wish) but i've got a skullskate cruiser in the basement in pieces and a 4 speed hub and have been thinking of doing it up like this for a while, inspired i must admit by another humu, this one my friend martin's:

March 17, 2011, 11:27 a.m.

i'm liking all the kona's on this page… nice frames

April 13, 2011, 3:41 p.m.

So, my 1952 Schwinn lives again! It made it around the sea wall without killing me or itself. It's 'work in progress' but it rides pretty well.

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 21, 2011, 11:35 a.m.

Long time no posts.
Was nice finding this thread though, bikes like these are great and lots of fun to build up. I especially liked xy9ine's builds with all the odd parts coming together.

I just finished fixing up one of mine today, well needed since I use it 250ish days a year. So it was starting to fall apart after this winter.
Monark is an old swedish brand and this bike was a special edition for their 100th anniversary in 2008. Only the frame, fork and handlebars are stock though, it looked very different when it was new.

So stoked with the build and all the details so sorry for photo-whoring a bit.