NSMB - 2011 Light AM/FR bike build off 4-7"

Feb. 23, 2011, 12:25 p.m.

I know I'm not going to have the lightest bike in the thread, even though it has relatively little travel at 127mm. I don't care whether a 100mm XC bike or 120mm Trail bike with 2.2" tires is lighter than mine. I do, however, want to see photos of sweet bikes. More sweet bikes!

flickr

Feb. 23, 2011, 12:53 p.m.

I know I'm not going to have the lightest bike in the thread, even though it has relatively little travel at 127mm. I don't care whether a 100mm XC bike or 120mm Trail bike with 2.2" tires is lighter than mine. I do, however, want to see photos of sweet bikes. More sweet bikes!

one reason all these criteria are stupid - your bike totally needs to be in the am/fr thread

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 23, 2011, 12:54 p.m.

^^^ This

Less bitching and more bikes ftw!

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Feb. 23, 2011, 1:34 p.m.

^^^ This

Less bitching and more bikes ftw!

BINGO

Post more and BITCH LESS!!!!!!!!!!!

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Feb. 23, 2011, 1:48 p.m.

Brodie Ethos, Shored up: 120mm rear travel.
Bike was spec'd with a 100-140 fork but has been upgraded to 120-160.
70mm stem for stable handling at the higher travel settings.
The frame is designed around 120mm up front so it handles quite well throughout the upgraded fork's range.

flickr

Feb. 23, 2011, 2:02 p.m.

Brodie Ethos, Shored up

how's jodi liking it?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 23, 2011, 2:07 p.m.

how's jodi liking it?

LOVES it. She hasn't ridden her hardtail since we got it.

flickr

Feb. 23, 2011, 2:39 p.m.

I'll post up a picture as soon as it's built. I think it's a full XTR bike, but 60mm stem and 30" bars from Chromag. Tires are 2.35 minions.

sweet bike there morgman!

i have a 127mm kona dawg and i love it, i might go with something with 140mm if i trade it though.

anyhow, you guys might be able to answer this for me, I have the sixc bars on my bike atm, however the rise feels just a little low I think, or I can't get it set up right, dunno…
so I'm thinking of replacing the sixc bars with the chromag osx cut to 29", any of you guys have an idea of what the osx would weigh if you cut it to 29"?
only thing holding me back is the comfort of carbon bars that i'm used to, i'm afraid the osx will feel very unforgiving after riding carbon bars for about two years.

what do you guys think?

Feb. 24, 2011, 8:42 p.m.

Well if we're going by industry created categories… I think XC/trail would be the one for less than 140mm travel/68+ deg h/a bikes.

Feb. 24, 2011, 8:58 p.m.

I'm sure most or maybe even all will say this is more X-C then anthing else, but it rips pretty well. Rode some chundery Squamish trails and it was FUN.

Build is either used parts from some of my other bikes or bought for the cheap. Frame and fork total about $550 and both were new….
Sub 30 weight and HA is sub 68. Gonna try the offset reducers and get it sub 67 for HA.

Feb. 25, 2011, 2:12 p.m.

Probably not the lightest AM bike out there but truly unique. I've got a couple of upgrades in the works to drop in into the sub 33lb range.

Feb. 25, 2011, 4:17 p.m.

Probably not the lightest AM bike out there but truly unique. I've got a couple of upgrades in the works to drop in into the sub 33lb range.

What kind of shock are you running? I've been wondering about running a coil on my enduro.

Feb. 25, 2011, 5:21 p.m.

28# 12oz. Can't see it getting less without lots of cash outlay or other compromises that I'm not willing to do. Yeah, the tires are under for the "running" but so is my post count. I'm sure since I live somewhere so flat that the bike and build will be poo-pooed by some anyhow. :rocker:

2.1 ADvantage rear, 2.35 Minion DHF front setup with goop. Got a 2.25 ADvantage that is slightly larger than the Minion, will try it out for comparison on the front. 20mm front, Hadley 10mm bolt through rear. 127mm/160mm travel. Fun. The thing is a blast around here. Lots of tight twisty stuff with lots of short steep ups and downs, slow speed trials-y parts, frequent drops and rolls. Not a lot of long and high speed descending, so the skinnier meats work just fine. However, the longer (for here) descents are giggle inducing fun with this bike. The dropper post is very nice around here for that. Only wish I'd gone for a remote version. Granted, it's five or so years old, and still kicking. When it dies, a remote version will replace it. Perhaps all the Reverb teething issues will be worked out by then.

30T front ring, 11-36 10 speed rear. Should give me all the range I need. Have 31, 32, and 34 rings if the 30 proves too low.

Lyrik Solo Air 06 or 07 model I think
Spitfire, size small with stock RP23 ti shock hardware, alu hanger bolt

Cane Creek lower/something off E-bay 44mm upper flush headset bits with alu bolt and carbon top cap

Hope Pro-II rear/Bulb front with 317 rims, 15ga spokes, alu nips ghetto tubeless with the previously mentioned tires. I'm a small dude, don't go super big, and would like to think I'm a fairly smooth line chooser. Been on little rims for years, with very little trouble.

Truvativ 70mm stem with ti bolts, Sunline bar, Ruffian lock on grips

Avid Elixir-R brakes, 140R/185F
x.9 shifter and short cage rear mech, Matchmaker clamp, Alu lever clamp bolts, bolts at caliper end, rotors and mounts are ti. 11-36 XT 10 speed cassette.

Gravity Dropper post, Salsa clamp with ti bolt, shim for frame, SLR saddle. Seat clamp bits are from a much lighter Token or something I can't recall the name of post, ti bolts.

XT pedals, LX crank, Race Face BB, a wuss-ish 30T ring on the granny spot-I'm a spinner, so sue me- it's my roady fag cycling roots shining through.
SRAM something or other chain, alu ring and crank fixing bolts
BBG bash ring, Stinger guide + e.13 Freechucker upper wear bit combined for upper guide.

I've got a Stinger lower for the ISCG mounts with the roller that can be added (a little Dremel work on the two Stingers has ensured they both fit up just fine) on if this proves not enough. For our local stuff though, this ought to be just fine.

Picked up a huge haul of ti and alu bolts many years ago at Veloswap in Colorado for dirt freakin' cheap. Sold the useless stuff and more or less broke even - been running it on various bikes ever since. Buy some new stuff now and then for specific parts.

Whenever this Lyrik shuffles off its mortal coil, a Revelation or Sektor with an external lower cup may take its place. Still burly, still stiff, but lighter options. OTOH, not as stiff, and even at my soaking wet 150# weight the difference is there. The Rev on my hardtial is very nice, but I can feel it isn't as stiff. The Lyrik ought to give me another few seasons though. So easy to take care of the thing.

The other main rig is a TransAM - the two bikes compliment one another, and the local riding very well. Going back to a regular post, and the fork/headset changes above could net a big weight drop, but I very much love the functionality of the post and am not sure if I would miss the stiffer front end of the Lyrik over the Revelation on this bike.

Feb. 25, 2011, 6:23 p.m.

this thread needs updates please. Deaner paging Deaner!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Feb. 26, 2011, 12:05 a.m.

:banana: