Northshore Overlord on single speed

July 31, 2012, 3:47 p.m.

The Northshore Overlord 6 hour enduro enduro on Fromme is coming up again August 25.
Last year I spent most of the time in 32x34 on the climb trying to conserve energy
and barely pedalled on the downhills, again to conserve energy.
I have been thinking that a single speed with close to 1:1 gearing would work well for this type of event, or for Fromme Riding in general.

www.gpsenduroracing.com
www.facebook.com/northshoreoverlord

July 31, 2012, 5:11 p.m.

what is there to gain by riding SS?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 31, 2012, 6:17 p.m.

I'll let the single speed afficianados debate you about gains
but, I think there would be nothing to be lost

Aug. 1, 2012, 7:18 a.m.

I have been thinking that a single speed with close to 1:1 gearing would work well for this type of event, or for Fromme Riding in general.

i'm thinking you are very much wrong. a 1:1 gear ratio might work for low-energy climbing but it would suck any time you have to pedal on the flats or downs. now, you may be coasting for most of that time, but you couldn't ratchet or generate any kind of pedal-induced pop or momentum at all. so, any feature, rock, root or whatever you encounter would likely hang you up, and no pedal-kick to spur you off a drop or whatever. you would basically be descending tech north shore trails chainless, which while it might make for a fun a-line gimick race i imagine would suck for a whole day on the shore

the key to singlespeeding off road in my limited experience is not to go for a gear that will work well most of the time (your proposed 1:1 would make you a happy clam on the climbs), but rather a gear that can work all of the time, even if poorly. a 2:1 gear ratio will have you grunting up the climbs, so no energy conserved, but will also be somewhat useful during the descents…

my $0.02

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 1, 2012, 9:15 a.m.

Dude! You know how to tune a derailleur already. Therefore ss has no reason to be for you. What if you get really tired or really amped. No choice. Stuck in one gear. I do see the attraction for ss, but I just think that they don't work so well around here.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 1, 2012, 12:03 p.m.

The Northshore Overlord 6 hour enduro enduro on Fromme is coming up again August 25.
Last year I spent most of the time in 32x34 on the climb trying to conserve energy
and barely pedalled on the downhills, again to conserve energy.

www.gpsenduroracing.com
www.facebook.com/northshoreoverlord

you know I'm down, but that ratio is so low it would be maddening (even for the nth time up mtn highway)….

Aug. 1, 2012, 12:05 p.m.

i'm thinking you are very much wrong. a 1:1 gear ratio might work for low-energy climbing but it would suck any time you have to pedal on the flats or downs. now, you may be coasting for most of that time, but you couldn't ratchet or generate any kind of pedal-induced pop or momentum at all. so, any feature, rock, root or whatever you encounter would likely hang you up, and no pedal-kick to spur you off a drop or whatever. you would basically be descending tech north shore trails chainless, which while it might make for a fun a-line gimick race i imagine would suck for a whole day on the shore

the key to singlespeeding off road in my limited experience is not to go for a gear that will work well most of the time (your proposed 1:1 would make you a happy clam on the climbs), but rather a gear that can work all of the time, even if poorly. a 2:1 gear ratio will have you grunting up the climbs, so no energy conserved, but will also be somewhat useful during the descents…

my $0.02

a gear that works well most of the time is the true goal! a little more work (or hike-a-bike) on climbs pays huge dividends while descending or railing rolling trails

Aug. 1, 2012, 12:22 p.m.

a gear that works well most of the time is the true goal! a little more work (or hike-a-bike) on climbs pays huge dividends while descending or railing rolling trails

your example denies your assertion. if you wanted a gear that works well most of the time you'd follow the op's line of thinking as most of the time spent on a ride around these (those) parts is humping up hill. but, as you go on to reason, better to push a bigger gear (or the bike) up hill to have a gear that brings the fun on the downs and rolling bits

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 1, 2012, 12:45 p.m.

your example denies your assertion. if you wanted a gear that works well most of the time you'd follow the op's line of thinking as most of the time spent on a ride around these (those) parts is humping up hill. but, as you go on to reason, better to push a bigger gear (or the bike) up hill to have a gear that brings the fun on the downs and rolling bits

would you be happier if it was changed to a gear that works for "most of the distance covered" instead of the more commonly used "most of the time"?

Aug. 1, 2012, 3:19 p.m.

you would basically be descending tech north shore trails chainless, which while it might make for a fun a-line gimick race i imagine would suck for a whole day on the shore

that was a winning strategy last year, but if you can pump and get every pedal kick on the downhill trails, you should be able to set a new record
especially if more trails are included such as Expresso

But I'll stick to my lazy as possible without any more than 5 minutes of stopping strategy

Aug. 1, 2012, 6:28 p.m.

self abuse fetish?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 1, 2012, 6:59 p.m.

that was a winning strategy last year, but if you can pump and get every pedal kick on the downhill trails, you should be able to set a new record
especially if more trails are included such as Expresso

Good news, taprider.
We've got the go-ahead to use Expresso.
MEC is working extra hard with Digger to make sure it's race-ready.

Aug. 1, 2012, 10:13 p.m.

Singlespeed is primarily for bragging on the internet, especially with photos of your super clean ride.

I used to be really into SS MTBing - I spent all my time in the singlespeed mtbr forums. I'm back on gears right now and couldn't be happier. Well, my bar bike is a singlespeed, but that's so that I don't have to fuss with gears when I probably shouldn't be riding a bike at all.

I agree with the masses that 1:1 would be too low for a useful SS bike even if it might seem to make sense for this particular application. Even something like 32:24 would at least give you the ability to use pedal kicks and the like at typical technical trail speeds. 2:1 ratios are for flatter, less technical MTB riding. You'll want something in between 32:21 and 32:25 most likely. I've climbed Fromme with a 32:17 rigid SS Chameleon and it was not nearly as painful as you might expect.

Aug. 2, 2012, 12:52 a.m.

If you just want the bragging rights, the truth is no one really cares all that much.
In no way is that meant to offend you, but you might be disappointed after converting and racing with one gear to find out no one thinks any differently of your result.

If it's just for yourself and it's something you always wanted to try then screw the forum and do it. You will have fun as long as it's only for personal reasons :D

Aug. 2, 2012, 3:42 p.m.

If you just want the bragging rights, the truth is no one really cares all that much.
In no way is that meant to offend you, but you might be disappointed after converting and racing with one gear to find out no one thinks any differently of your result.

If it's just for yourself and it's something you always wanted to try then screw the forum and do it. You will have fun as long as it's only for personal reasons :D

single speeds, racing, hucking the biggest features on the mtn or receiving lots of rep power - isn't it all just about bragging rights?
otherwise, what's the point of the forum? ;)

anyways, the Overlord, mountain biking, gears or one gear is still fun for lots of personal reasons, but sometimes a critical mass is needed to make things happen or just to figure things out