North Van / Vancouver source for SRAM BB / NX crank parts

Sept. 26, 2020, 6:58 p.m.

One of my riding partners’ SRAM NX cranks fell apart and SRAM Press Fit bottom bracket fell out(!) on a ride today (This is a 2017 Devinci Troy)  I wasn’t riding with him so I don’t have all the details yet but he’s looking for parts and being a Shimano guy I’m not sure which bike shops are most likely to have anything like this in the Vancouver / North Vancouver area. Any ideas?

Hopefully his bottom bracket shell is OK: it seems really weird that the bottom bracket would come out by itself when the crank came apart.

Sept. 26, 2020, 10:14 p.m.

yeah, it feels like there is something else going on. As to shops, anyone should be able to help out. I tend to use Comor - Duncan (and sometimes Mr. Major) should be able to sort you out.

Sept. 28, 2020, 9:31 a.m.

Had a look at the bike yesterday and I'm still not sure what happened or why the crank fell apart and the NDS BB bearing holder fell out.  Nothing appeared to be stripped or loose once everything was cleaned up and put back together.  The BB bearings were a little rough and will need to be replaced (Lynn Valley bikes has these SRAM GXP press fit BB's in stock).  Interestingly there was no wave washer installed from the Devinci factory (unless that is a bike shop assemble part) and even without it there appeared to be a tiny bit too much preload on the BB for my liking (however, if I removed the single spacer on the drive side the whole thing would be too floppy).  I much prefer the Shimano preload adjustment; I'm not sure how this system takes into account manufacturing tolerances.

I also noticed a couple hairline cracks in the carbon BB shell paint on the non-drive side but couldn't tell if they were just cosmetic or actually into the carbon fiber resin.  Anyone have any experience in determining whether a crack is structural or just cosmetic / paint in such a case?  The Bearing holder on this side was more than hand tight but it sure slipped in easier than I liked once I put the Park Tool press on it.

Anyway its all back together and we'll see how it holds up over the coming week.  All seemed fine in a quick parking lot test.