Norco Range x2-tim Coleman

July 11, 2018, 9:19 a.m.

I have been having trouble getting my 2018 Norco Range c9 with an x2 set up and someone on MTBR said Tim Coleman has on and may be able to give me some baseline settings or tips.  Tim if you are out there and have some settings that would be awesome as at this point I feel the bike is deflecting off everything and I know it isnt the bike but it is me or the shock:)

July 11, 2018, 9:57 a.m.

Hey kenwood. I know we don't know each well yet, but how much do you weight, and what fork are you running?

As for the Fox X2 this is the setup I'm running. I find this gives me the best compromise for the variety of terrain I ride from soft, slow, steep loamy trails, to wind open fast bumped out trails in the Whistler Bike Park, to pedaling efficiency.

Air Can has 5 (max) spacers. This was the stock configuration on my 2017 Range frameset. Check yours is the same.

Air Pressure; 200 psig (this is going to be different on your bike as the leverage ratio is different). I personally run my bike a bit stiff at 25%. Most folks prefer 28 - 30% sag.

LSC - 11 clicks out from fully closed

HSC - 16 clicks out from fully closed

LSR - 15 clicks out from fully closed

HSR - 15 clicks out from fully closed

Adjust the rebound settings to your taste, mine are probably on the quicker side for most. If you increase air pressure then fewer clicks out of rebound, and vice versa.

July 11, 2018, 1:57 p.m.

thanks Tim, 215 geared up with a 36 up front.  x2 does have max spacers from the factory.  appreciate the feedback, I may simply not be riding the bike hard enough at times but I want to give it another try so hopefully your set up info will help.  also I thought the 2017 and 18 were the same bike?

July 11, 2018, 2:18 p.m.

The bikes are the same, but I wasn't sure if the Fox X2 shocks came with the same number of spacers. I think that shock needs the full 5 spacers in the air can to get anywhere near the air spring progression I like.

I'm a little lighter than you, but I run my bike a bit firmer than most. Try my settings with 200 psig in the air spring and let me know how things go.

What settings are you running on the fork? You want to make sure that when you're bouncing the bike in a quasi normal riding positive that the fork and shock are compressing and rebounding at similar rates.

Last edited by: Timmigrant on July 11, 2018, 2:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 11, 2018, 2:49 p.m.

thanks man great info, I was running the fork with different pressures.  went up to about 100 and last ride was around 90.  Wasn't using any LSC and just a maybe 10 or so of HSC from closed.

July 13, 2018, 10:41 a.m.

got out there with the new setting, ended up at 230 in the shock and also got the shockwiz attached.  anyhow bike felt way better thanks for the settings.  my only issue is that with max spacers I still think I am getting a lot of bottom outs on smaller stuff.  shockwiz said to add spacers but of course the shock is full.......not sure how to combat that.

July 16, 2018, 10:13 a.m.

Unfortunately the only way to combat the bottoming out is either to increase the air pressure or increase the compression damping. You might want to try a bit of both, to better control the bottom out events. Try increasing the high speed compression a few clicks, and see if that makes an improvement. If possible try and take a sag measurement, and let me know where you're at. I do bottom the rear of the bike once or twice a ride, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

As for the fork I personally prefer to run the HSC almost all the way out, with some LSC. I find this gives good support during braking and cornering, but lets the fork soak up the high speed bump in places like the bike park. You'll notice I've taken a similar approach on the rear shock setup.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

July 16, 2018, 2:46 p.m.

thanks Tim truly appreciate all the info! I think part of my issue is I have been riding a lot of really progressive bikes, right now my other bike is an evil. i feel like the bike has a tendency to blow through its travel if I make the smallest mistake in a landing, even smaller ones so maybe I do just need some more air and hsc.

right now I am about 30% sag so i will take some of that out, maybe try out and get down to 28 or so.

good info on the fork too as I need to keep them closer together. the shockwiz wanted me to add some lsc to the fork but was good on hsc.  right now on the fork i started with the fox settings and they use a good amount of box hsc and lsc.

Last edited by: kenwood72 on July 16, 2018, 2:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 16, 2018, 4:37 p.m.

You're most welcome, and it looks like you're trending in the right direction! 30% is probably a bit too much, and I find the bike still works very well with a little less sag. Aiming for 28% should make a positive difference.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

July 19, 2018, 12:50 p.m.

rode last night, bike feels great, funny I put air in the shock to 235 and added HSC but the shockwiz on the same trail as last time told me to remove air....and last night I was definitely riding harder though I did climb less cuz we shuttled part of the trail.  anyhow fork felt great adding some LSC and taking out the HSC.  The last piece though I think is to get front and back closer, I am using all of my shock but probably only 80% of the fork.

July 19, 2018, 9:56 p.m.

Have a look at the Formula Neopos spacers. They let you use more travel more often, without getting too divy in the midstroke. Had the same f/r imbalance before. Now I am more like 90/95 instead of 70/95 after a good ride.

July 24, 2018, 2:12 p.m.

That's great, you're making progress in the right direction. I agree with what Znarf is saying. I've been running a Luftkappe from Vorsprung. This increases the negative chamber volume, and reduces the positive chamber volume, which makes the air spring more progressive. This way I can run the fork softer off the top, but then nice and progressive. This seems to match the rear of the Range well. The last 10 mm is emergency travel on the fork for mistakes, and is quite difficult to get through. The new Lyrik seems to have gone in a similar direction. I believe they make a similar product for the 36, which might help make the fork more progressive.

But before you start buying parts for the fork you can also try and add a bit more LSC and remove a few psig of air. Removing a click of rebound might also help. The combination should help the fork stay a little taller in the travel under braking and other low speed inputs, but still allow you to get through more of the travel with higher speed compressions. All without making the fork too harsh or too mushy.