Norco Aurum A7 .... any good?

Dec. 12, 2019, 8:01 a.m.

I can get a new green Aurum A7 frame incl a Kage for below 1000€..sold by a shop, size XL ... my question is.....is it any good?

Can not find any info/reviews of that model online.

Idea....buy the frame, buy used parts and be happy with it as my park bike. I love jumping and riding the occasional DH track.

Does anyone have any experience....info on that frame, maybe even ridden that one?

The only review I found online said that the older models were apparently really firm and not very subtle.

Edit.....I plan on riding it for a few years. I want to upgrade my whole fleet the next few years so no resources for upgrading it every season or second season.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Last edited by: Mic on Dec. 12, 2019, 8:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 12, 2019, 10:14 a.m.

Hey Mic, how tall are you?

The reach on the A7 isn't very long, only 452 even on the XL.

That was my biggest gripe with my DH bike when I got a modern enduro bike: I couldn't stand having the DH bike feel shorter.

It might be fine now, but as you upgrade the rest of your fleet, you might really start to dislike the Aurum.

Dec. 12, 2019, 11:47 a.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

Hey Mic, how tall are you?

The reach on the A7 isn't very long, only 452 even on the XL.

That was my biggest gripe with my DH bike when I got a modern enduro bike: I couldn't stand having the DH bike feel shorter.

It might be fine now, but as you upgrade the rest of your fleet, you might really start to dislike the Aurum.

Hey Cheez1ts

I am 186cm tall but have rather long-ish femurs for my size, or so I was told when I got an MRI. 

I testrode the 2018 XL Demo last year and was disappointed that it did not feel that much longer than my old Cove STD. 

Have an offer for a Solid Strike as well.

Dec. 12, 2019, 2:01 p.m.

The XL Aurum A7 appears to be slightly shorter than the '18 XL Demo. Solid Strike is even shorter if I understand the stack/reach relationship correctly.

When I was looking for a new DH bike in early 2018, the XL Demo was the longest aluminum DH bike that I could find.

Everything has since gotten longer. Having done some looking into it, (but not comparing the changes that altering stack would have on reach) I think that if you want a longer DH bike than the 2018 XL Demo, you're going to have to look newer than 2018. In 2018, the Carbon YT Tues was long, but their aluminum frames were shorter than the Demo. This is very different now with an XXL that has nearly 500mm reach. The New Nukeproof descent is up there too. That being said, that frame is double the price of the Aurum.

Last edited by: Cheez1ts on Dec. 12, 2019, 2:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 12, 2019, 3:33 p.m.

I rode a 2016 Aurum carbon for a few years, basically same frame as the aluminum. They are definitely short compared to new DH bikes, but the suspension design is proven (horst-link) and they are great park bikes IMO. If you are on a budget that's a good option but it is going to feel short at your height. If you can stretch for something new, look at the aluminum Tues.

Dec. 13, 2019, 1:39 p.m.

Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

I guess I have to save a bit more until the season is upon me. And make a decision then....but fact is...I no longer want to feel as if I have to ride a BMX bike with bigger wheels. 

The current YT Tues AL and the Furious for 2020 look both as if properly sized.

Last edited by: Mic on Dec. 13, 2019, 1:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 18, 2019, 9 a.m.

Can ride the Solid Strike for a few days, has a solid spec list with some new components. 

Not really like the looks of the Strike but if the suspension is as good as the reviews say....well....I am curious. 

Anyway....that is one tough decision.

Jan. 6, 2020, 10:15 a.m.

I was gonna go with an Aurum, but for me the seat was too high. I like my seat slammed right down, so went with the Devinci Wilson.