Non OE brake pads

Aug. 24, 2022, 5:10 p.m.

I just replaced some stock Shimano pads with some pads from Kool Stop as that's all I could get hold of...and they are awful. The make a terrible noise and judder badly. The actual braking seems ok and as I've just mounted them, I have no idea of how long they'll last. 

I haven't tried them in wet/mud (cos there isn't any!) and I bedded them in carefully but they feel like they are glazed already (after one big ride).

They are cheaper than Shimano but still not exactly "cheap".

So are there any alternative manufacturers (who will mail order to Canada without charging a big delivery fee, or taking weeks to arrive)? Or an outlet that I can pick up from on the Shore?

Im aware of Loam Goat but I've not tried them. Any recommendations?

FWIW, I weigh 200lb and do big descents on my gravel bike, and I'm looking for something which fits GRX400 calipers though I believe some Shimano MTB brakes use same pad design. 

I'd rather avoid sintered as they screech badly in the wet 

For the sake of this discussion, let's pretend local shops don't have stock of Shimano pads!

Aug. 24, 2022, 6:33 p.m.

Just need to ask why not Shimano. Price isn't all that bad? I guess for lift accessed riding would make sense... 

Shops are well stocked, Recently bought a pair from John Henry and MEC

Aug. 24, 2022, 6:58 p.m.

Just need to ask why not Shimano. Price isn't all that bad? I guess for lift accessed riding would make sense..

I'm specifically interested in people's experiences with non-OE suppliers. And $76+tax isn't exactly cheap though YMMV...

Aug. 24, 2022, 7:17 p.m.

Buying Trickstuff from Germany was less expensive than buying Magura through Canadian channels. I was curious to try their Power pads so set out to find a retailer that had some in stock. If you commit to a few sets of pads the shipping can actually make quite a bit of sense.

Aug. 24, 2022, 7:27 p.m.

Back when supply chain issues were at the worst I grabbed some Kool Stop and Jagwire brake pads for Shimano. Haven't used the Jagwires yet but the Kool Stops have been working totally fine for me.

They are labelled "Shimano Zee Saint Sintered, KS-D640DS" and they are the same ones that AJ tested:

https://nsmb.com/articles/alternatives-shimano-brake-pads/

https://nsmb.com/articles/oem-alternative-brake-pads-one-month-later/

Aug. 24, 2022, 7:48 p.m.

During the great parts drought last year I bought pads from Loam Goat for Shimano XT and Code brakes. All have worked well. Had one pad that separated from the backing plate before I even mounted them. An email to Loam Goat brought about quick replacement and apologies. Very satisfied with both service and price. No complaints on performance (metal pads).

Aug. 24, 2022, 9:10 p.m.

I’m quite happy with the MTX red pads in my four piston XT brakes. Better modulation than stock metal pads, far quieter when dry. I’m able to skid the front wheel if I chose so I think that’s plenty of grab. I’ve had them go funky and squeal even when dry, probably because I get soapy water on them when I do a deeper wash of the bike than the normal rinse, but if I bed them in again using water it goes away. Last long too and far cheaper. I ordered out of their Sandy Utah base but I understand there is a Canadian distribution now.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on Aug. 24, 2022, 9:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 24, 2022, 9:53 p.m.

Anyone tried pads from The Basic Bike Co?

Aug. 24, 2022, 10:45 p.m.

@niels

Thanks - those links were useful and reminded me to douse the pads in some water to see whether they bed in any better.

@ hula 

Yeah, ive just ordered some Loam Goat pads. $25 for two pairs so not much (financial) risk 

@andy

Bicicletta list MTX but not in stock on-line @ $44/pair so quite a bit more expensive than Shimano...

Aug. 25, 2022, 8:32 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

@niels

Thanks - those links were useful and reminded me to douse the pads in some water to see whether they bed in any better.

@ hula 

Yeah, ive just ordered some Loam Goat pads. $25 for two pairs so not much (financial) risk 

@andy

Bicicletta list MTX but not in stock on-line @ $44/pair so quite a bit more expensive than Shimano...

I may be thinking finned metal pads. I have a pair new in their package and priced at $75. I couldn’t find non finned at the time. The MTX when I bought them were $35US or so.

Aug. 25, 2022, 9:45 a.m.

local bike shop recommended Galfer Ebike pads for my Codes...  great so far.

Aug. 25, 2022, 10:33 a.m.

I've had good experiences with Loam Goat pads, and that's my go-to now. I like how they're just a couple in the lower mainland doing their thing, the pads are cheap, and a set (4 pads) can be shipped for free via letter mail.

I'm sure there are superior pads out there (Galfer, MTX etc) but I'm a cheap c*nt, and they work well for me.

Last edited by: mammal on Aug. 25, 2022, 10:48 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 25, 2022, 10:45 a.m.

I am currently running the MTX reds on my Saints and older XTR-985s. No complaints so far. Ill probably give the Loam Goats a try next time around, as they are less than half the price of the MTX, are local, and get good reviews.

Aug. 25, 2022, 1:26 p.m.

Red Kool stops work fine for Magura in my case. Tricksuffs were the best both for Shimano and Magura, swiss stops felt as good just wear really fast (green, organic perhaps?)

Silver Jagwire and black (Semi?) Nukeproof were not good at all for Shimano. Last very long tho.

Aug. 25, 2022, 2:42 p.m.

I tried Kool stop metallic on my Shimano 4 piston and they work pretty much exactly as well as stock. I did sand and burn the rotor + did a bed in session around the block before riding.