Nomad C or Mojo HDR - Discuss!

June 25, 2013, 9:15 a.m.

I ride just about everything, short of park and shuttle, with my AM bike so a 140mm bike based on XC geometry doesn't work for me. My current rig is a Remedy with a 160mm fork. Its predecessor was a Knolly DT (bit on the beefy side).

The Remedy is starting to show its age so I've started looking around. I'm not going to go to a 650b and to me the best two options are the Nomad C and the Mojo HDR.

What do you think NSMB? Horror stories? Love stories? Fair expectations?

Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

June 25, 2013, 9:46 a.m.

I ride a mojo and love it and would recommend. But you can't go wrong though these are two proven bikes and have similar geometry. Get whichever one makes you happier, less broke, whatver.

June 25, 2013, 10:25 a.m.

I ride just about everything, short of park and shuttle, with my AM bike so a 140mm bike based on XC geometry doesn't work for me. My current rig is a Remedy with a 160mm fork. Its predecessor was a Knolly DT (bit on the beefy side).

The Remedy is starting to show its age so I've started looking around. I'm not going to go to a 650b and to me the best two options are the Nomad C and the Mojo HDR.

Thanks.

Does it have to be carbon? If not, there are options of slack 140mm frames designed around a 160mm fork out there like the Banshee Spitfire and others.

June 25, 2013, 11:02 a.m.

Tough call. Both those bikes were on my shortlist last year. I ended up going with a Knolly Chilcotin though, carbon wasn't a must have for me. I couldn't be happier on this bike. If you liked your Delerium, This has all the positives and then some, with none of the negatives. Sorry, but just had to be that guy to add a third bike into the mix and not answer your question :)

June 25, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

It'd take a lot to move me to a 140mm bike given the riding I do.

A buddy just went to a Chili and while I respect the love Knolly owners have for it I'd like to keep the weight down. Moreover, my DT under braking conditions wasn't near as smooth as my Remedy and V10. I attribute this to the 4x4x4 design of the Knolly.

June 25, 2013, 11:40 a.m.

Graham ya beat me to it!

June 25, 2013, 12:52 p.m.

I'm on my 3rd season I'm my Mojo HD. Honestly, even with all the new offerings, I feel no need to replace it. It climbs -amazing- for a 160mm bike, stays high in its travel (which I like). It's also a convertible bike where when I want I can use a shorter , lighter fork, and a short shock for a stout XC ride.

The new HDR drops .5lb off the old HD, has some tweaks to the linkage to accommodate the new rear triangle, to better accommodate the 650b option.

Re: 650b. If you do choose the HDR, it is convertible to 650b with limbo chips and a short shock. Similar to the old HD (which could run 650b in140mm mode), but the HDR gets better/proper modern geometry in 650b, without messing with HA and stuff. The beauty of the DW, is that shortening the stroke of the shock in 650 configuration does no compromise the performance (although it adds a slightly more progressive feel-which is nice in this configuration)

Now if you are shuttling Moose or Mt 7 all the time, Mojo with an RC4 or the Nomad with a coil. They do feel different on the descent. I'm not sure if the Nomad is lower and longer, but it feels lower and longer, on my limited time on a borrowed Nomad c. They both are happy with a 180 fork as well.

Ibis has amazing customer service. I've had good long conversations on RC4 setup via email, which I though was a bit unusual:-)

June 25, 2013, 1:02 p.m.

What about the 70*STA on the Mojo HDR? Im serious too, is it noticeably slack on the saddle or what? My Range climbs much better than my old Nomad, even with it being slacker and single ring, I've attributed it to the more upright STA and longer front end. Nomad I always felt like I would slide off the back of the saddle.

Specialized Enduro? 160mm. 26er. Covers huge price points. Been around for ever.

There are more 30lbs Chilis on mtbr than I would have thought

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 25, 2013, 1:08 p.m.

What about the 70*STA on the Mojo HDR? Im serious too, is it noticeably slack on the saddle or what? My Range climbs much better than my old Nomad, even with it being slacker and single ring, I've attributed it to the more upright STA and longer front end. Nomad I always felt like I would slide off the back of the saddle.

Specialized Enduro? 160mm. 26er. Covers huge price points. Been around for ever.

There are more 30lbs Chilis on mtbr than I would have thought

Slack STAs are brutal. As a taller person it's extra bad because 1' translates to roughly a centimeter at full extension, which is a lot. Not sure what the point of a 70' seat tube angle is. I wouldn't ride a bike with a STA below 73' if I expected to ever climb it.

I love this new trend towards steep STAs and slack head angles - the best of both worlds.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 25, 2013, 1:42 p.m.

Slack STAs are brutal. As a taller person it's extra bad because 1' translates to roughly a centimeter at full extension, which is a lot. Not sure what the point of a 70' seat tube angle is. I wouldn't ride a bike with a STA below 73' if I expected to ever climb it.

I love this new trend towards steep STAs and slack head angles - the best of both worlds.

I dunno guys, a 72 degree STA on a Mojo, feels quite perfect on this bike. I've ridden the Nomad, a Slayer (my previous), and a 2010 enduro. No comparison, I know the numbers may say otherwise, but on the trail the mojo sits far more upright than these. I didn't like the straight up situation on the Slayer, but that's maybe just me.

I've never heard of a complaint re: STA on the mojo. More people complain that it sits -too high- and feels too XC. Maybe has something to do with the DW?

Personal preference though. I climb fast on it;-)

June 25, 2013, 1:45 p.m.

I dunno guys, a 72 degree STA on a Mojo, feels quite perfect on this bike. I've ridden the Nomad, a Slayer (my previous), and a 2010 enduro. No comparison, I know the numbers may say otherwise, but on the trail the mojo sits far more upright than these others.

I've never heard of a complaint re: STA on the mojo. More people complain that it sits -too high- and feels too XC. Maybe has something to do with the DW?

Personal preference though. I climb fast on it;-)

That could be my tall guy bias showing through.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 25, 2013, 3:11 p.m.

I've only thrown a leg over a Slayer and the STA felt odd. At the other end of the spectrum the STA on my Knolly DT put my ass well behind the read hub, which wasn't ideal for climbing.

The Enduro is enticing but for now I'm thinking of a frame and parts swap. While the current frame is showing its age the parts are all more or less new.

June 25, 2013, 3:13 p.m.

That could be my tall guy bias showing through.

That's an important point. Even more reason for guys/girls to ride a variety of designs. I'm 6'1, not overly long legs, and with my large HD I have a reverb post with saddle pretty well centred. I can drop a plum from the patella straight to the pedal axle (with cranks level). Perfect pedalling position for me. Anything steeper feels like a TT bike. With the Slayer I had to slam the seat back, not overly comfortable for me. If a bike tends to squat, a slack STA would definaty be awkward.

June 25, 2013, 4:50 p.m.

you guys know you can move your seat forward right? Voila steeper STA. Unless its already slammed forward. Then SOL.

I have a Nomad C - i'll post more when I have more time. It should be in the 2013 enduro build thread or one of those

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 25, 2013, 6:29 p.m.

Thanks.

i would pick the Nomad:)