No such thing as the perfect new frame?

Dec. 12, 2011, 5:57 a.m.

+1 for the Banshee Legend. I've ridden the crap out of mine during this past season including around 40 days in Whistler, around 30 more bike park days over here in Germany, numerous races and not a single issue with the frame. I'm not exactly easy on my gear and I tend to crash a lot.

Having spent close to two months in Whistler this summer solely for riding, I suppose that I do have a fairly accurate idea of what is durable and what isn't. I've seen numerous broken Lapierres, Intense M9s and Turner DHRs. Of course any product can fail depending on the circumstances and I'm sure that there are many people happily riding the bikes that I just stated. But to me it definitely sounds like the Legend is fitting your bill… modern geometry, extremely durable without being heavy, boutique, local company, amazing customer service, looks fantastic, very very fast and very easy to get spare parts for in case you need them, especially in BC.

I'm also a big fan of the Yeti 303 and the Knolly Podium - mainly because I've heard great things about them and the companies really do stand behind their products. The TR450 and the Demo are nice as well but they aren't exactly uncommon. Also, make sure to stay away from a brand new, unproven product - no first-generation product is flawless so while you might have the latest and greatest bike, no one knows how long it'll last before problems will be appearing.

For what it's worth, my large Legend is plenty big and will very likely fit you as well. Here's a picture of mine.

Either way, you can't really go wrong with any of the options out there - have fun with whatever you end up purchasing! :)

Dec. 12, 2011, 11:03 a.m.

This or the Scythe? A lot of mention of Knollys but man they're expensive! Not saying you don't get value for your money, it's just that you gotta have the money in the first place.

I ride a Legend, mostly because it has a top tube length I can handle, however the Podium is my dream rig. They're just too big for this gnomie.

Cost-wise, Podium is not much different than the Legend.