No more roads, going Mtn need advice.

April 23, 2004, 9:01 p.m.

Like lots of people have already said, an Specialized Enduro might be really good for you. And to just make you think more why not look into a trek Fluid, by the looks of it, you trust the company and the bike is supposed to have a nice ride.

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

April 23, 2004, 9:54 p.m.

I'd just like to say that I do not agree with the recommendation of bikes such as the stinky or the 4by. These are way too freeride oriented. I would say definately go ride a Specialized Enduro, and if you find that to be too "active," try the Giant NRS or the Specialized Epic.

Hope that helps, sorry to hear about your back,
Cam

April 23, 2004, 11:38 p.m.

Welcome to the dirty side….you will love it. I did a little looking around and here are some ones that caught my eye. I would also check mtbr as they are more XC oriented. also if you do some exploring there are a TON of bike reviews there as well. I also really like the Bike Magazine message board, Ask Soul Rider, he has been in this sport a LONG time and REALLY knows his stuff. Anyway have fun on this new trail you are on….its full of twists and turns but is hella fun and you get to meet some great people while your at it.

A great bike for under $1200
Giant NRS3

A nice bike at a great price ($849.00)
2003 Iron Horse Hollow Point

I know I am gonna get flamed for this but for the price ($1299.00) Its a good deal.
Weyless SP

A little more than you want to spend ($1470) But a great bike.
Specialized Sutmpjumper FSR

Looks like a good bike…could be a better spec for the price ($1299)
Trek Fuel 80

A great bike for the money, and Mountain bike action liked it…all that for $999.99
Schwinn Rocket 1

Not to bad for $1099.00
Fisher Sugar 4+

Noteable mention:
Cannondale Jekyll

Oh…and please don't listen to the people telling you that Sinky's and Norco 4x4's will do you….they are more freeride bikes and while being more plush will not offer a great XC experience.

April 24, 2004, 12:02 a.m.

You're used to a road bike, you're not heavy, you want suspension to take the stress off your back, you have a budget, you'd like a somewhat light bike, and you're going to be doing light XC and fire road / road riding.

IMO, these suggestions all make sense for you. I like the Jamis at Jenson. But you check out some of these suggestions. There are a few American companies that make a bike that should be right for you.

P.S.

The AAs kick ass! :thepimp:

Originally posted by Rat **
Heres a nice bike in your price point.

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=21131[HTML_REMOVED]lsubcat_id=7[HTML_REMOVED]lcat_id=7604[HTML_REMOVED]referpage= **

Originally posted by Desloc **
Shop for an 03 model if you can, you'll save $100s. Here's a few to check out…

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/fluid3.htm

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BI707B21

Des **

Originally posted by mudpuppy **

A great bike for under $1200
Giant NRS3

A nice bike at a great price ($849.00)
2003 Iron Horse Hollow Point

I know I am gonna get flamed for this but for the price ($1299.00) Its a good deal.
Weyless SP

A little more than you want to spend ($1470) But a great bike.
Specialized Sutmpjumper FSR

Looks like a good bike…could be a better spec for the price ($1299)
Trek Fuel 80

A great bike for the money, and Mountain bike action liked it…all that for $999.99
Schwinn Rocket 1

Not to bad for $1099.00
Fisher Sugar 4+

Noteable mention:
Cannondale Jekyll

Oh…and please don't listen to the people telling you that Sinky's and Norco 4x4's will do you….they are more freeride bikes and while being more plush will not offer a great XC experience. **

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 24, 2004, 9:08 a.m.

any of the bikes mentioned in the above post would be sweet.

that stumpjumper is a really nice bike. that jamis is nice, too.

i'd stay away from the trek. i don't have anypersonal experience with them, but they just seem to not try very hard…. i am speaking in regards to MTB. i know they have some nice road bikes.