No more roads, going Mtn need advice.

April 23, 2004, 11:09 a.m.

Sorry to hear about your back. I'm not sure why needing an upright position would necessarily preclude a road bike, however?

Have you considered converting your road bike to a flat bar setup and/or raising the bar height with stems and spacers? You could easily end up with a seat-to-bar drop that is similar to ATN's bike (Banshee), which is set up in the photo for XC riding. You could even add cyclocross style bar top levers for easier brake access on a drop bar.

Also, you might also try posting on mtbr.com, which tends to be more XC-oriented.

Good luck.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 23, 2004, 1:58 p.m.

That Jamis that Desloc posted looks amazing for the price. Fox Forx :thepimp:

April 23, 2004, 2:05 p.m.

Originally posted by Curtis
dude did you even read his thread he's had major back surgery, nice bike if your 16 and just getting into riding.

I mentioned the titanium in his back, and medical reasons. Did you even read my post? He has a budget, that complicates things. If by some chance the full suspension is a want not a need and the budget is definate then I believe a hardtail should be considered. My original post was only a suggestion.

April 23, 2004, 2:07 p.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho
You could easily end up with a seat-to-bar drop that is similar to ATN's bike (Banshee), which is set up in the photo for XC riding. You could even add cyclocross style bar top levers for easier brake access on a drop bar.

As an aside, that is not my XC setup, I lower the front end and raise the seat a lot more for racing. That picture was back when I bolted everything on, it was not ridden or adjusted.

April 23, 2004, 2:17 p.m.

Originally posted by ATN
**For the budget you have, you might need a good hardtail. However, if you have titanium in your back do you need rear travel for medical reasons? If you can go hardtail there's nice ones out there for 1 grand US… this cost about that to build up with some JensonUSA parts….

come on, the guy has metal in his back, think about this a little bit…
the guy says he wants a cross country dualy that could be ridden on the road, and half the people who post are like "STINKY'S ARE GOOD DUAL CROWN 8" HYRDO LOL ROFL"

ok I'm done..
Look at the Kona XC bikes they have some good ones for a decent price too!

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

April 23, 2004, 2:22 p.m.

Originally posted by Broken Fusion!
come on, the guy has metal in his back, think about this a little bit…

I did, and I asked if that was the reason why he needed a full suspension.

April 23, 2004, 2:24 p.m.

"want a good ride full suspension"

obviously when he said that he meant hardtail :)

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

April 23, 2004, 2:31 p.m.

Originally posted by ATN
I mentioned the titanium in his back, and medical reasons. Did you even read my post? He has a budget, that complicates things. If by some chance the full suspension is a want not a need and the budget is definate then I believe a hardtail should be considered. My original post was only a suggestion.

Good full suspension under $1000 US… not the easiest to do. Obviously something's got to give, will it be budget, parts spec, or frame. I'm simply asking whether the frame is a definate. I remember trail worker couldnt ride a hardtail because of back problems. If the thread starter simply says that full suspension is required for medical reasons then I will appreciate that.

April 23, 2004, 3:15 p.m.

I'd look at one of those Jamis dakars or maybe the iron horse hollowpoint,those would work very well.
ATN, i have back problems.i do not have titanium in my back from falling out of an airplane(or jumping, rather.same outcome i guess).
I definately woulnd't consider a hardtail if i was in this guys shoes,especially an expensive,stiff frame like you posted.The banshee is far from a good deal,although the quality is there no doubt.the guy's trying to build up a budget bike,and you reccomend him a frame that retails for around 700CAD?seems a little off-hand.

April 23, 2004, 3:33 p.m.

Originally posted by trail worker
I'd look at one of those Jamis dakars or maybe the iron horse hollowpoint,those would work very well.
ATN, i have back problems.i do not have titanium in my back from falling out of an airplane(or jumping, rather.same outcome i guess).
I definately woulnd't consider a hardtail if i was in this guys shoes,especially an expensive,stiff frame like you posted.The banshee is far from a good deal,although the quality is there no doubt.the guy's trying to build up a budget bike,and you reccomend him a frame that retails for around 700CAD?seems a little off-hand.

I just worked it out in my head that what I spent on that bike is close to 1000 US. I apologize completely for my early morning stupidity, it's been edited out too.

April 23, 2004, 3:37 p.m.

Originally posted by ATN
As an aside, that is not my XC setup, I lower the front end and raise the seat a lot more for racing. That picture was back when I bolted everything on, it was not ridden or adjusted.

Upon closer inspection, the seat does look low and is tilted rather upward for XC riding. Especially for a guy.:D

Still, it is very possible to get an upright position on a road bike (minimal to zero drop from seat to bars).

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 23, 2004, 3:45 p.m.

Yeah if you look at the full-sze you'll see that my rails were beginning to bend, so it was at the wrong angle.

April 23, 2004, 3:57 p.m.

I think he needs a more xc-wienie-like site.

freeride hardtails,DC forks?

April 23, 2004, 6:46 p.m.

Hmmmmm,

The Jamis Dakar for sure. That has to be one of the best deals on wheels right now.
Dakar

The Giant Warp DS1 is another good choice. 5" front and rear like the Dakar, discs, good ride position.Warp

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

April 23, 2004, 7:59 p.m.

you need to spend more money so save a little extra dough, no point in going half way either , Id say kona stinky or norco 4x4. I ride a norco 4x4 and highly recomend it as a sweet bike but I think for the money the stinky is a damn good deal.