No more roads, going Mtn need advice.

April 23, 2004, 3:02 a.m.

I was an avid road rider Trek OCLV w/Campy Record [HTML_REMOVED] Mavic Heliums, alas I jumped from ONE too many perfectly good military aircraft recently and now have my share of titanium in my back. Had L4,L5,S1 fused and need to be more upright. I want back in some pedals.
I am 5'6" about 152 lbs, want a good ride full suspension, that I can ride on trails, logging roads in area and some actual roads with a second set of wheels. My rode bike was sub 17 lbs, I know that won't happen with a mtn bike but………..?
What type of frame, geometry, bars, stems, saddle and tires for this Hard Georgia soil. What ever advice is well appreciated.

Thanks SFC "former" 82nd Abn paratrooper

Goal around $1,000 for used or new bike. If I can sell my soul for enough.

April 23, 2004, 5:16 a.m.

welcome to the world of MTBikin….

your gunna love it after your first "dirt" ride….:P

you should go test ride as many NEW FS bikes as u can.. even if u cant afford to purchase one… that way u get a feel for what style of frame design u personally prefer…

then go looking for a used bike within your budget….

to be honest your budget is kinda low, if your looking for a better made/spc'd FS ride… but u never know with enuf bargain hunting u might just find something you want….

p.s. im gunna suggest you take a ride on a Specialized Enduro…its a terrific bike, and they have been out for a number of years so your odds of finding a bike at your price point is good…

hope that helps…

April 23, 2004, 5:51 a.m.

budget is low. but i am thinking Specialized

FSR-XC $1500:

ENduro $1900: (much better package, and frame, though)

April 23, 2004, 5:53 a.m.

also, maybe look at Norco? do they have and light FS bikes? i don;t know…. but they have nice prices. same with Kona

these bikes will feel heavy (15lbs over yours), but they'll ride lighter than you think on the trails. on the road, you'll feel seriously sluggish when compared to a road bike. but this is obvious.

April 23, 2004, 5:58 a.m.

and just b/c i am bored

check this out:

Demo9 $5200: (not what you are looking for)

April 23, 2004, 7:25 a.m.

Edited because I feel like an idiot.

April 23, 2004, 7:39 a.m.

Welcome to your MTB years, you'll be hooked for life.

Check out the Jamis Dakar ….best value for the buck under a grand, MTB Action raves about the quality of these bikes and have for the past three seasons.

So if your 5.6 now how tall were you before your jump accident, I had a bud fall 2500ft, chute didn't open….he lived…spent a yr in the hospital and lost a total of 4" off his height.

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West"

April 23, 2004, 7:42 a.m.

Originally posted by ATN
**For the budget you have, you might need a good hardtail. However, if you have titanium in your back do you need rear travel for medical reasons? If you can go hardtail there's nice ones out there for 1 grand US… this cost about that to build up with some JensonUSA parts….

dude did you even read his thread he's had major back surgery, nice bike if your 16 and just getting into riding.

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West"

April 23, 2004, 7:56 a.m.

NICE ride,if you sell it you can finance all or some of the new bike

A full suspension with 5" travel front [HTML_REMOVED] rear like that specialized enduro above is probably what you need.And I believe specialized has a lifetime warranty on the frame.Bikes now days are coming with shorter stems and upright bars and you can change that even more if you like

Disc brakes are a good thing ,unless you are mechanicaly inclined the mechancal (as opposed to hydralic) are a good idea.I like the avids

Jamis has some well spec'ed bikes like the Dakar and XLT and they are generaly considered the best bang for your buck in x-c bikes

if you don't like the active feel of a suspension check out the giant NRS

try and stay around/under 30lbs

try and find a more X-c oriented site

I sportjumped out of 7 airplanes,when I got to the door the jumpmaster would yell get ready and I would realize ,sensory overload…I wasnt ready

April 23, 2004, 8:01 a.m.

if your are not used to a full suspension you should look at the specialized epic. the rear suspension will only work if it acctually had to. so it feels like a hardtail on the road and like a full suspension on the trail. i don't know the price of the bike but i think they aren't very cheap 'cause the special shock is expensive

April 23, 2004, 8:16 a.m.

The EPICS's are very cool way expensive high end x-c racing bikes

with a medical problem you gotta ride some of these bikes and see what your back will handle

Along the same lines I got a bud (strong athletic dude,paddles WW,plays squash,runs,skis ) who loves biking but couldnt hack a standard bicycle saddle.He has bought and quickly sold 3 bikes in the 10 years I have known him.Finally he got a giant VT full suspension and one of those stupid looking seats with just 2 separate pads and no nose .It worked and he is still riding

point is if your back can't hack it you will just be selling off the bike pretty quik

April 23, 2004, 8:18 a.m.

Hey there,

My advice would to get a fully built fs bike. like a KONA stinky, Dawg (more xc oriented) get something with 5" rear and 5" front or less would be good for you. Something that isnt too heavy. Stinkys are about $2000 Canadain dollars so 1400 US? they have double crown up front and dual 8" discs good rims good cranks good everything. The Kona stinky is a little more freeride oriented. Maybe you go for something with a single crown fork. Something with a sherman or a minute. just my thoughts :)

April 23, 2004, 8:19 a.m.

listen to what everyone is telling you. get a specialized enduro. like mine. :D

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs…
but riding bikes is still fun!

April 23, 2004, 8:21 a.m.

Heres a nice bike in your price point.

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=21131[HTML_REMOVED]lsubcat_id=7[HTML_REMOVED]lcat_id=7604[HTML_REMOVED]referpage=

April 23, 2004, 10:16 a.m.

Shop for an 03 model if you can, you'll save $100s. Here's a few to check out…

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/fluid3.htm

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BI707B21

Des

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey