Night riding light brand/model recommendations

Nov. 28, 2019, 10:48 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Was about to order the Gemini 4000 with a 2200 duo for 25% off (still not cheap at $450US) then I checked Outbound Lighting and saw that their Ultimate DH package is reduced from US$390 to US$335. Ordered that!

One thing to keep in mine is that the Gemini's will ship from Canada while the Outbounds from the US, so duty might decrease that difference.

Have you gone into the local shops and priced the good light setups out? That seems steep, got mine for way under that here on the shore.

Nov. 29, 2019, 1:53 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Was about to order the Gemini 4000 with a 2200 duo for 25% off (still not cheap at $450US) then I checked Outbound Lighting and saw that their Ultimate DH package is reduced from US$390 to US$335. Ordered that!

One thing to keep in mine is that the Gemini's will ship from Canada while the Outbounds from the US, so duty might decrease that difference.

Have you gone into the local shops and priced the good light setups out? That seems steep, got mine for way under that here on the shore.

What did you end up with? 

Or do you want to just keep us in suspense? 

Another plus of the GloWorm lights is the ability to swap out different lenses and bulbs. Think running a spot and a flood bulb in the same unit. 

The look of the Outbounds was off-putting for myself.

Nov. 29, 2019, 2:20 p.m.

Handlebar mounted lights for me uncannily manage to point where I'm not looking 100% of the time.

Since picking up one of those small but outrageously expensive self contained helmet mounted lights couple seasons ago haven't missed having a second light source at all really.

Nov. 29, 2019, 5:31 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Posted by: Brocklanders

What did you end up with? 

Or do you want to just keep us in suspense? 

Another plus of the GloWorm lights is the ability to swap out different lenses and bulbs. Think running a spot and a flood bulb in the same unit. 

The look of the Outbounds was off-putting for myself.

Niteriders. Bar and helmet light. LBS knocked off a bit for being a good customer. Was just over 300 for both.

Nov. 29, 2019, 11:56 p.m.

That sounds like a good deal for the Niteriders, although there are a full range of them at all price points. 

I chose the Outbounds because they’re highly rated amongst the best from each brand and I like the shape of the beams. I felt that $500 CAD, while not a great deal or cheap, was ok for a top rated pair of bar and helmet lights. We will see - I’ve ridden with much cheaper lights almost all of the time so this was a departure. But I’m night riding a lot this year and my Magic Shines are suboptimal; hopefully these last many years and I can see much better where I’m headed!

Nov. 30, 2019, 3:42 p.m.

That sounds like a good deal for the Niteriders, although there are a full range of them at all price points. 

I chose the Outbounds because they’re highly rated amongst the best from each brand and I like the shape of the beams. I felt that $500 CAD, while not a great deal or cheap, was ok for a top rated pair of bar and helmet lights. We will see - I’ve ridden with much cheaper lights almost all of the time so this was a departure. But I’m night riding a lot this year and my Magic Shines are suboptimal; hopefully these last many years and I can see much better where I’m headed!

Welcome to the world of lights that don't suck. Those look great.

Dec. 5, 2019, 9:57 a.m.

I love the cheap china lights. My only beef is the mounts they have. Either some kind of weak o-ring mount or something rough on carbon bars. 

The "Rio Rand" brand take it to the next level with a wiggly o-ring base. But I think this will now fix that.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2300127/?directtofirstphoto

Dec. 5, 2019, 11:45 a.m.

i made a similar (L-shape) helmet mount bracket (for my $25 solarstorm) out of a reflector mount i had kicking about. free mod, works great.      

Dec. 5, 2019, 1:10 p.m.

Gopro really has the best mount. I did a similar mod to my Serfas lights to fit in a gopro mount. My wife, my brother and his wife all night ride so we are constantly tinkering with them. Even the dog has a set of lights.

Dec. 26, 2019, 8:56 p.m.

My Outbound Ultimate DH kit arrived and I’ve had it out for one ride. This lot combines their trail light on the bars with their road light for your helmet  

Positives:

GoPro helmet mount

90 minute ride with 60minute climb at start - had the bars on low and the helmet on medium. Went to high on both for the ride down. Ended the ride at greater than 75% battery left on both (shows as full so I don’t know exactly)

Construction is awesome. Both were solid and didn’t move. Battery stayed in position too,

Helmet light is light enough it didn’t bug me on my Fox Flux

Beam pattern is wicked. The bars (trail) project a wide rectangle across the trail to maybe 20feet infront. The helmet (road) mount slots in above that - not as wide but more square. The two work really well together on the slower tech I was riding.

Cable was long enough to put the helmet battery in the rear pocket of my jacket.

I don’t have any true negatives after just one ride but:

On high, while the two were certainly bright enough, they were not as bright as I expected. I think that this has to do with the beam pattern being dispersed over a broader area- which is why I chose these lights.

Not easy to tell what setting you’re on for the helmet because you can’t see the gauge- took some cycling through to figure it out.

I don’t think that the bar mount (trail) would be enough to ride with alone without a helmet light of some sort.

Shipping from the US meant $40 duty. Total cost for the Ultimate DH kit (bar and helmet) was c$500 ish to my door. I picked it up black Friday sale for us$335

It’s nice having killer lights. Safety first!!!

Last edited by: Ddean on Dec. 26, 2019, 9:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 26, 2019, 11:23 p.m.

I ordered this combo for around $160 CDN shipped....  Good reviews and recommended from another sight.

http://kaidomain.com/S022462-B26-2-x-Cree-XM-L2-White-6500K-1200-Lumens-4-Mode-LED-Bike-Light-Black?search=bike%20lights

http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and-bike-accessories/Bike-Lights/KDLITKER-BL70s-Cree-XHP70_2-3000-Lumens-4-Mode-LED-Bike-Light?sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=100

http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and-bike-accessories/battery-packs

Apparently 4000k is the sweet spot for color.

Dec. 29, 2019, 8:42 a.m.

Looking for the most suitable obd2 scanner for your car? We have here tested and reliable brand that can help you choose. Listed and gathered are the Best Autel Scanner you could ever have. They offer low-end scan tools for starters and DIYers and mid-range to high-end scanners for professional technicians and mechanics. Know more about this product and be amazed by its features on our review article.

Last edited by: Zephyrtooxx on Jan. 28, 2020, 8:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 3, 2021, 10:21 a.m.

I want to buy some night lights for the bike. Any recommendations?

March 3, 2021, 10:24 a.m.

Posted by: Alessay

When I needed special flashlights for bicycles I bought from amazon because I found it at a very good price and after reading the reviews, I understood that it is of good quality and worth buying. Before that, I had other lights on the bike and they were weak so that a few times I almost crashed because of them and I understood that I don't have to risk my own life and that I have to buy strong lights. Besides, I really wanted them to be rechargeable because it makes life so much easier.

Last edited by: Erpyria on March 7, 2021, 3:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 3, 2021, 7:09 p.m.

Posted by: Alessay

Was this meant to be ironic. The thread title is "Night riding light brand/model recommendations".

Or was it more commentary, that after four pages did anyone actually have anything useful to say?