Night riding light brand/model recommendations

Oct. 24, 2018, 1:44 p.m.

Coastal Gear could be worth checking out then.  If their product is quality and they're willing to stand behind it; then why not.  My GeoMan Gear lights worked as advertised so I'd be willing to head down this route again.  I know a few legacy companies that can't/won't stand behind their product.

Oct. 24, 2018, 4:05 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

The one thing I'd like to sort out is a solid bar clamp mechanism for these larger lights - they have a little too much mass for sustained heavy riding and can slip a little.
I'm pretty sure I can get something printed nearby when I have time to prototype a model though.

Have a look at Hope lights. Bomber, like all things made by Hope. The mount system is very good.

Oct. 25, 2018, 10:24 a.m.

Lupine lights are very nice. Good build quality.

Oct. 25, 2018, 6:51 p.m.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Gemini Lights yet.  Good Canadian company on the island if I remember. 

You can get lights from them or Action LED.  Solid builds and mine have lasted 5 seasons with no issues.

I run the Duo on the helmet and the Olympia on the bars.  My 3300 total lumens.  My old eyes basically need stadium lighting.

Oct. 26, 2018, 9:12 a.m.

Does anyone have experience with their lights?  I'm wary of lights that just add more bulbs then claim more Lumens - do you actually get longer throw from doing that or are you just blasting a close area with more light?

Oct. 30, 2018, 6:10 a.m.

Just ordered a magic shine 906. Not a bad price for a well put together product. I have one of their original lights which is at least 5 years old and still going strong. The lupine Piko looks like the Cadillac of all helmet lights, but is Uber expensive.

Nov. 19, 2019, 3:08 p.m.

What’s everyone running for lights this winter?

I’m looking at: Lupine but flipping expensive. GloWorm and this Coastal Gear people have mentioned. 

Really need an all purpose all season deal. Something for bike riding, skiing, sledding, hiking etc. That’s why the Lupine could possibly be justified.

Nov. 19, 2019, 6:16 p.m.

I,m looking to get the flash light models. Tired of having to strap a battery to my helmet , and frame. With the new LED,s and battery's you can get several hrs of quality light and burn time. Just undecided on model , brand and lumen's.

Nov. 19, 2019, 6:36 p.m.

After years of faffing about with Chinese lights I finally gave up on them last year. I had to walk out in the dark once and am NOT interested in doing that again. 

So I got a L&M Seca 2000 Race recently. 

It’s awesome.  Just under $400 @ MEC.

Nov. 20, 2019, 4:53 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

I,m looking to get the flash light models. Tired of having to strap a battery to my helmet , and frame. With the new LED,s and battery's you can get several hrs of quality light and burn time. Just undecided on model , brand and lumen's.

I wouldn’t want a heavier battery and light on a helmet. I find the weight hard on my neck.

Nov. 20, 2019, 5:15 p.m.

All I can say is that when you throw down the money for a good set up you forget you are riding with lights pretty much. When I rode with those cheap ass chinese ones, all ride I was messing with them constantly because they are shit. Also the lumens they claim is a load of crap. Headed out tonight, should be a good rip, nice and clear out.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Nov. 20, 2019, 5:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 20, 2019, 5:58 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Posted by: DemonMike

I wouldn’t want a heavier battery and light on a helmet. I find the weight hard on my neck.

I find if it's pretty well centered I don't notice, if it's mounted right at the front of the helmet maybe. I have a portland design works lars rover 810, and used to use a nite rider lumina 650. And I've lost or broken most of the mounts so I do DIY ski strap mount to the helmet haha. If I was getting something new the niterider lumina series is pretty straight forward, they make a mini version that might be nicer on the helmet. Heard the bontrager light is really good too.

Nov. 21, 2019, 12:12 p.m.

you don't pack some spare light ?

Nov. 21, 2019, 12:48 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

After years of faffing about with Chinese lights I finally gave up on them last year. I had to walk out in the dark once and am NOT interested in doing that again.

It’s awesome. Just under $400 @ MEC.

hey-zeus. i'm getting years out of my $25 china specials. the key is to have more than one. i pulled a wire out of my bar light this week (too tight routing), but was still good to go with my helmet light.

Last edited by: xy9ine on Nov. 21, 2019, 12:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 21, 2019, 3:10 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

Posted by: tashi

It’s awesome. Just under $400 @ MEC.

hey-zeus. i'm getting years out of my $25 china specials. the key is to have more than one. i pulled a wire out of my bar light this week (too tight routing), but was still good to go with my helmet light.

That’s what I’ve been doing for the last 7 years. You should see my graveyard. I don’t have time for that shit anymore, particularly as the quality of the $25 jobbies took a nose-dive a couple years ago.

Also: on the trail $400 lights are WAAAAAAY better than $25 lights. 

If you find yourself in Victoria send me a message. You can mess around with my old lights all you like.