Night rides, rain, fog=I hate glasses

Nov. 9, 2012, 11:59 a.m.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 9, 2012, 1:45 p.m.

I have been using these….

http://ryderseyewear.com/SHELLED_R613_003

The vent in the top of the lens helps clear the fog quickly.

Nov. 9, 2012, 6:40 p.m.

I've been using a pair of Adidas sport glasses with the performance Rx insert for several years. Not sure that they still make my specific model but look for one with good airflow rather than the wrap around style. I find I get very little fogging even at night in the rain although I have still had them fog up in really epic conditions. When it is really nasty taking your glasses off when you stop for a minute helps.

Nov. 13, 2012, 10:11 a.m.

Did a couple rides this weekend in the pouring wet and just wore contacts and have a front clip on plastic fender (sks). Went very well. I'll get some clear lensed glasses just for extra protection on the descents but I didn't have any problems this weekend and enjoyed the lack of fogging. Funny enough, I think the visor on the helmet does a hell of a job of keeping rain out of the eyes too.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 13, 2012, 4:31 p.m.

i have done this with a pair of my dirt bike goggles but i see no reason why you could not figure it out with some glasses too. I am not sure if it would work at night or not though.
Go to a chain saw store to get the raw materials for the mesh, u can get two to three sets out of a forestry shield.

end result is similar to this:

WTF, Over?

Nov. 13, 2012, 4:32 p.m.

I think you could pull it off, with a full framed saftey glass too. I will get some pics of what i have made so far.
I have had some shitty eye injuries and i am paranoid with zero protection.
it is the only thing that works for hard moto days when the head is steaming like a pot of tea every time i take of the lid.

WTF, Over?

Nov. 13, 2012, 5:03 p.m.

Funny enough, I think the visor on the helmet does a hell of a job of keeping rain out of the eyes too.

Yes, they work well for this if you are riding super slow.

Cheers Ben

Nov. 14, 2012, 9:55 a.m.

Yes, they work well for this if you are riding super slow.

Cheers Ben

Oh yeah? Are you challenging me to a race???

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 14, 2012, 9:56 a.m.

i have done this with a pair of my dirt bike goggles but i see no reason why you could not figure it out with some glasses too. I am not sure if it would work at night or not though.
Go to a chain saw store to get the raw materials for the mesh, u can get two to three sets out of a forestry shield.

Wow…u handy. Looks pretty cool. Night vision might be pretty crap tho but you never know until you try.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 14, 2012, 10:59 a.m.

was out night riding in the rain last night… with contacts… and no gogs or shades… at one point it was torrential and the most valuable piece of gear on my bike (besides lights) was my DIY front fork mud guard… old tubes work good but neoprene is the best IMO… cut up an old Skinz chainstay guard and shred in the slop!

Nov. 14, 2012, 12:56 p.m.

That is damn clever.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 14, 2012, 12:57 p.m.

Calling Dragons Den right now!

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 14, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

ride faster and they won't fog up :lol:

But seriously, I almost always ride with protective glasses, I wear contacts but find if you get mud in your eye it's still a unpleasant experience, and you can lose a contact trying to get the grit out and that is even less fun!

Just make sure that you get a good quality pair of glasses, I know I started wit ha cheap pair and after 2 rides went and dished out the $$$ for something decent :)

Define something decent.
I was looking at some Specialized or Ryders with photochromatic lenses for around $70…

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 14, 2012, 1:30 p.m.

Clever yes!! my idea, not so much. A buddy from Squamish showed me the trick when he saw me take of my helmet whilst riding sock puppet once and he saw my bald head steaming like i was making pasta.

The mesh is quite fine and in the day you forget it is there. Zero fog, and damn near as much protection as a lens. eyes still water a bit if you ride fast, but for slower trails and humid days they work great.
I will attempt to build a set up on glasses to test at night.
Uvex makes some real good safety glasses with good breathable designs as well, and they are not too $$$

WTF, Over?

Nov. 14, 2012, 4:22 p.m.

he saw me take of my helmet whilst riding sock puppet once and he saw my bald head steaming like i was making pasta.

Ha Ha. You, me and Hunter S Thompson. When we stop sweating out toxins like that we go see a doctor.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.