New shorts time. What you recommend? (Don't suggest RF Stage)

Jan. 30, 2019, 9:10 a.m.

No brand recommendation but when you try on shorts, see if you can sit on a bike with them on or at least bend over as much as you do on the bike to test fit. Lots of stuff fits great standing bolt upright but bunch up in the crotch or reveal your ass crack when your riding. Just like trying a helmet with your glasses or goggles. Or gloves without grabbing a bar and squeezing the levers.

Feb. 6, 2019, 10:47 a.m.

Anyone tried the 100% shorts?

Feb. 6, 2019, 12:28 p.m.

After tearing irreparable holes in the crotch of both my Arcteryx A2B shorts (which I've commuted in and MTB's in for the past 5 years), I had to pick up some new shorts. The A2B long short is now discontinued so I got some Norrona fjora flex1 shorts, they were delivered today and I'm eager to try them out this weekend.  I will report back on Saturday once I've had the opportunity to ride in them.

Feb. 7, 2019, 5:13 p.m.

^I have a few pairs of them. I like them. Also have a pair of the Dri3 shorts. 

Wonder if the new design has changed the fit as well?

Feb. 7, 2019, 5:47 p.m.

I'm typically a 33 inch waist (which is why I liked the arcteryx ones so much, because they made them in 33).  The Large size Flex1 fits perfectly with a chamois, a bit of room without. Good amount of stretch in the fabric, no stretch at the waistband, we'll see how that plays out on the bike.

Feb. 7, 2019, 6:24 p.m.

I’m in the size small with a bib underneath. 

I packed on the weight in the past couple years so now all my gear is Graves speed Enduro fit. 

Waist adjustments went from being needed to now wondering if I need to upsize. :(

Last time I checked I was still a Small in Rapha Pro Team Kit so I don’t know. ¯\(ツ)

Feb. 7, 2019, 8:35 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

where can you get the Norrona stuff?  was checking it out online a while back and it seems exotic, expensive and hard to get in Canada

you can get them at Outside, ask for Dave

Feb. 7, 2019, 8:52 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: JBV

where can you get the Norrona stuff?  was checking it out online a while back and it seems exotic, expensive and hard to get in Canada

you can get them at Outside, ask for Dave

🤣

👌🏽

VPO (for better or worse) carries the brand. 

Last I heard Norrøna was attempting to set up a CDN store. I’d assume online infrastructure to go along with it. 

Of all their gear in my household I believe only one item was actually purchased in Canada.

Feb. 8, 2019, 6:11 a.m.

I got mine through altitude sports out of Montreal. I couldn’t find it in Vancouver.

Feb. 8, 2019, 8:26 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

After tearing irreparable holes in the crotch of both my Arcteryx A2B shorts (which I've commuted in and MTB's in for the past 5 years), I had to pick up some new shorts. The A2B long short is now discontinued so I got some Norrona fjora flex1 shorts, they were delivered today and I'm eager to try them out this weekend. I will report back on Saturday once I've had the opportunity to ride in them.

Acteryx will repair them or replace them, lifetime guarantee. So I have been told, never owned any of their gear.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Feb. 8, 2019, 8:32 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 8, 2019, 8:34 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

After tearing irreparable holes in the crotch of both my Arcteryx A2B shorts (which I've commuted in and MTB's in for the past 5 years), I had to pick up some new shorts. The A2B long short is now discontinued so I got some Norrona fjora flex1 shorts, they were delivered today and I'm eager to try them out this weekend. I will report back on Saturday once I've had the opportunity to ride in them.

Acteryx will repair them or replace them. Lifetime guarantee.

Arc'teryx are amazing and they stand behind their product 100%. I however wore and tore those shorts, I send them in for warranty and they confirmed that they are wear holes (which I entirely agree with), they are past the point of repair. They have offered me a replacement hiking short for the price of the repair, as they don't currently have a cycling short in the lineup - which is great  but it doesn't solve my need for commuter shorts.

I love the company and their stuff, but nothing lasts forever, unfortunately.

Last edited by: rnayel on Feb. 8, 2019, 8:35 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 8, 2019, 8:52 a.m.

Acteryx will repair them or replace them. Lifetime guarantee.

Arc'teryx are amazing and they stand behind their product 100%. I however wore and tore those shorts, I send them in for warranty and they confirmed that they are wear holes (which I entirely agree with), they are past the point of repair. They have offered me a replacement hiking short for the price of the repair, as they don't currently have a cycling short in the lineup - which is great  but it doesn't solve my need for commuter shorts.

I love the company and their stuff, but nothing lasts forever, unfortunately.

If I get something and it stands up to the abuse for what I consider reasonable amount of time I won't return it either. They are a good company, make great stuff, so I have heard.

Feb. 8, 2019, 9:46 a.m.

If I get something and it stands up to the abuse for what I consider reasonable amount of time I won't return it either. They are a good company, make great stuff, so I have heard.

On the recommendation of a friend who works there, I sent them in for repair. I didn't know that they were too far gone, had they still been commercially available, I would have just bought a replacement pair or two.