New Rider

July 27, 2009, 9:47 a.m.

When does the Norco blow out sale begin? Would that be at any local Norco dealers, seems a awful long time when weather is so nice outside right now lol, but that would make more sense buying new. Still browsing used for now, if I find something interesting probably take you on your offer eknomf lol

July 27, 2009, 9:50 a.m.

2009 Norco bikes are on sale now. Consider it good luck if you can get your hands on a new 2008 Rampage or Sasquatch.

July 27, 2009, 3:54 p.m.

Hey Rider2009, welcome to the best biking related board on the web. :beer:

Kperras is right, 2008 Norco Hardtails are really nice and up to the task. :) I have the Manic and it is an awesome bike for the money.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 28, 2009, 8:03 a.m.

Don't go for the fully until you have been riding a while. If you start with 9 inches of travel you will learn to let the suspension do everything for you and you won't absorb any thing with your arms and legs. I have been mountain biking for a good three years and still only have four inches of super stiff travel in the rear (althogh I would like more).

July 31, 2009, 12:26 a.m.

Hard to beat this:

NORCO, 08 SASQUATCH SML REG: $1229.99 SALE: $699.99

http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/community/default.asp

Third bike from the bottom.

Aug. 2, 2009, 5:52 p.m.

ahh missed it thanks for the heads up

Aug. 3, 2009, 12:33 p.m.

I gotta go with the "get a hard tail" crowd here. IMO learning to ride on a big fully teaches all kinds of bad habits. I personally think you can get in WAY over your head if you don't have a few skills to begin with. You can plow on a big bike in a way that would lead to certain face plants on a HT. Once you figure out how to flow and how to use your arms and legs to absorb the hits, then move on to a fully.

I don't think a dedicated DJ bike is the way to go. Get something that will allow you to jump if you want, but also ride trails (up and down). There have been some good suggestions so far.

Aug. 15, 2009, 8:37 p.m.

Hi, hope you dont mind me tagging onto the original post, but after looking around on this forum this is all i really saw as far as a "new rider" type of thread.

Im in the same sort of position as Rider2009, im looking at getting into more freeride/basic DH kind of riding, and have been told this would be a great place to get some advice. Currently i have an 04 brodie kinetic, which for its purpose was awesome (mainly just commuting on roads, with a bit of trails thrown in to make the commute more interesting) Im now looking at upgrading to a new bike, but still thinking of staying with a hardtail.

With my budget im looking at used bikes (brodie holeshot, cove stiffee, norco rampage are a few im interested in) One question i have is how practical would it be for me to build up a bike? My current bike has some decent components on it from what i know, so would buying a new frame and transfering parts while upgrading some be a good way to go? I dont think i will be able to get much riding in for this season so building a bike over the winter would be fine with me, i just dont know if its a good idea parts wise and budget wise, or if buying a complete would be a better way to go. Also any suggestions on burlier hardtails i should look at?

Thanks!

Aug. 15, 2009, 9:17 p.m.

welcome to the boards mcnordon, sometimes buying the full bike is the best route especially if you can get it in the sales, you get all new components and modern technology. However upgrading a bike can also work well, you can scour the online shops and classifieds for bargains, it just takes a bit longer to pull everything together but you get the experience/knowledge of how to build/repair your bike. Good luck whatever way you go.