New rear rim time. 30mm too wide?

Nov. 8, 2015, 12:03 p.m.

Cased my rear wheel hard a couple times too many. Shame as it's (was) a nice 24mm inside width, fairly durable and light rim.

I'm running a reinforced sidewall 2.35 Slaughter rear tire on my much abused 5.5" Trance, which I ride through town and up a giant hill to get to the trails.

Trail is rocky, steep and rim unfriendly.

So what's everyone using that's super light endless durable?

Was looking at maybe a Chinese carbon rim. But it's 30mm inside. Wish Envy wasn't $100,000,000 a rim. Perfect rim- 26mm inside, heavy enough to be durable.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Nov. 8, 2015, 3:53 p.m.

Chinese carbon is nice for XC/pedally bikes, but not a rear wheel that sees chunky stuff. Not if you want it to last long, anyway…

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Nov. 8, 2015, 5:01 p.m.

Cased my rear wheel hard a couple times too many. Shame as it's (was) a nice 24mm inside width, fairly durable and light rim.

I'm running a reinforced sidewall 2.35 Slaughter rear tire on my much abused 5.5" Trance, which I ride through town and up a giant hill to get to the trails.

Trail is rocky, steep and rim unfriendly.

So what's everyone using that's super light endless durable?

Was looking at maybe a Chinese carbon rim. But it's 30mm inside. Wish Envy wasn't $100,000,000 a rim. Perfect rim- 26mm inside, heavy enough to be durable.

I would take a look WTB i25 frequency rims. Tough as nail not super heavy and UST compatible. They are stupid easy to set up tubeless.
Im running i23 but was thinking of going to the i25 on my front for a bigger fat tire. My maxxis dhr 2 TR exo 2.3's are perfect on the i23's..
But a magic mary on the i25 would be epic..

Nov. 8, 2015, 5:42 p.m.

there's also ibis rim but you probably wanna get a set instead of just rear

http://store.ibiscycles.com/ibis-741-carbon-fiber-rim-p256.aspx

Nov. 8, 2015, 6:09 p.m.

Ibis will check out. Widths might be too much?

WTB wheels are something I was really wondering about. The old WTB laserdisc dh was by far the best rim I ever had.

Aluminum something or another is the more realistic plan b I guess.

I want nice light carbon, but not if it cost money or will not last till the end of time lol.

Nov. 8, 2015, 6:28 p.m.

Forgot to mention I'm running tubeless.

Looks like Omar reviewed the i25 and liked it pretty well. I'm also looking at maybe DT Swiss Ex.

Nov. 8, 2015, 6:38 p.m.

new bikes are all sporting wider rims seen some 2016s and the rims are at least 5 to 6mm wider then the year before .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 8, 2015, 7:34 p.m.

How wide are they getting though?

I'm glad to be seeing rims in the 25mm width range become common place. This is a number I can get my head around and have lots of experience with. But 30mm? I'm not sure what our familiar tires will ride like with rims that wide. Ibis is 41mm and I've read threads with some folks having some favorite tires become unridably square.

Nov. 8, 2015, 7:58 p.m.

30mm with 2.5 tires, 25mm with 2.3 tires. (Using Maxxis imperial measurements fyi, not that they even follow a standard).

Time and time again: it's tough to beat the Flow rim for value.

Nov. 8, 2015, 8:33 p.m.

Chinese carbon is nice for XC/pedally bikes, but not a rear wheel that sees chunky stuff. Not if you want it to last long, anyway…

Funny you say that as I'm riding light bikes 30mm (with dh layup) on my trail bike and I have no qualms riding anything and everything with my wheel set

Nov. 9, 2015, 12:13 a.m.

Funny you say that as I'm riding light bikes 30mm (with dh layup) on my trail bike and I have no qualms riding anything and everything with my wheel set

No qualms, till your rear cracks or blows up. I've seen a few go boom firsthand when ridden too hard over nastiness. At least LB's warranty is mostly ok.
Great for XC pedally stuff, or smoother trails.

I use Asian carbon rims myself (different factory), on my road and XC/AM bikes.
Chunky DH? Nope, maybe as a front. Seen too many rears blow up. Broke one myself.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Nov. 9, 2015, 9:13 a.m.

I've gone through a couple of LB rear rims. I wouldn't go carbon again for the rear. On my trail bike, Flow EX's have been super solid for me and other folks I ride with.

I would also look at the DT Swiss 471…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoCSzVmhhQ

:canada:

Nov. 9, 2015, 12:03 p.m.

i think if you ride hard and often hereabouts, the frequency i25 or flow ex is a good choice. not too heavy, reasonably wide and tough. as its the wheel you drive, its tempting to go lighter. but i've ridden a few "just was wide but xc light!" alu options and they're not on the same level of stiffness or durability

that said, i'm building a set of i25 kom's right now, which are as wide as a frequency i25/flow ex but much lighter. we'll see how long they hold up. my riding and fitness have regressed in the last six months :( so if/when i blow up the rear i'll replace it with a frequency and feel good about myself :)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 9, 2015, 12:16 p.m.

I've gone through a couple of LB rear rims. I wouldn't go carbon again for the rear. On my trail bike, Flow EX's have been super solid for me and other folks I ride with.

I would also look at the DT Swiss 471…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoCSzVmhhQ

flow ex's have been bomber for me too, a season of hope/flow ex's on the samurai, and I moved them to my Reign in July and have been smashing them hard all season with nary a whimper.

Nov. 9, 2015, 12:38 p.m.

i'm building a set of i25 kom's right now, which are as wide as a frequency i25/flow ex but much lighter. we'll see how long they hold up. my riding and fitness have regressed in the last six months :( so if/when i blow up the rear i'll replace it with a frequency and feel good about myself :)

The KOMs are very nice rims but yes, you give up stiffness and durability in favour of weight. I prefer a touch of vertical and horizontal flex in my wheels, without compromising too much of durability, and find a Flow laced with triple butted 1.6 spokes give just the right amount of comfort. Brass nips for durability as well if one is leaning that way.

I've been having good luck with Pillar/Sandvik spokes as well.