New Rear Hub Standard - X-12

Aug. 2, 2009, 11:41 a.m.

Do you think the new X-12(142mm wide) will take off?

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1[HTML_REMOVED]pk=1314

Apparently several new bikes are being introduced with it….

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Aug. 2, 2009, 12:02 p.m.

im waiting for 156.33mm

apparently it's faster and smoother on syntace's test gyroscope.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 2, 2009, 12:25 p.m.

in a simple way to responde…NO ;)

Syntace doesn't even register in mountain biking - they make tri-athlon bars and weird adjustable stems?

150 x 12 seems to work fine…what is the problem with it Syntace?

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Aug. 2, 2009, 12:39 p.m.

No real opinions on the system, but it isn't a new rear hub standard, it is a new through axle design for xc bikes that uses 135/12mm rear hubs with some different spacers on the ends.

Aug. 2, 2009, 1:20 p.m.

From a purely technical POV, it does have a few advantages over the existing standard.
But i don't think those details are worth it. And it means another axle standard that hub manufacturers need to offer adapters for.
No simple swapping of the rear wheel if something breaks.

They should have spend the time and manpower on their hydraulic seatpost.

Aug. 2, 2009, 2:10 p.m.

Syntace doesn't even register in mountain biking - they make … and weird adjustable stems?

They are quite popular in the high-alpine-trial-mtb-scene (lot of hike-a-bike) and their bars and stems come with lots of those mail-order bikes as oem.

For the idea itself: Usability may be a plus but at least it isn't a proper thru-axle like on proper DH-Rigs, but it's questionable if the stiffness, which this system effects will be distinctive for the average rider.

Aug. 2, 2009, 6:07 p.m.

Syntace doesn't even register in mountain biking - they make tri-athlon bars and weird adjustable stems?

That maybe but it will depend as well on which bike companies pick this up as well. I know of one (Turner) and I don't think he's the type of designer that would run with something that'll fail.

Personally I won't purchase a new bike with only 142mm dropouts.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Aug. 3, 2009, 3:21 p.m.

in a simple way to responde…NO ;)

No offense, BUT

1.) PLEASE quote like everybody else does by using the quote tags. Bold is bold, but not a quote.

2.) Syntace has quite a good reputation for delivering well engineered, lightweight stems and bars (And I'm talking about conventional stems here). They may not be cutting edge with spotting trends (like when it comes to producing they widest bars of them all), but e.g. their carbon range of bars is rock solid, but does cater for a different audience. They do offer one of the lighest 1.5 stems around.

3.) If you had read the actual text about X-12, you would have realized that it is compatible with most of the high-end hubs that are on the market today (Chris King, i9, DT Swiss, tune, Mavic) with no or little (new end caps) modifications AND that it is targeted at providing AM and XC bikes with a light through-axle standard. So a replacement for standard 135 hubs rather than 150mm DH hubs.

I'm just fed up with bashing without proper information.

Aug. 4, 2009, 12:39 p.m.

I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing re: the bold tags. It's just his style.

Not bothered about whether it is compatible with 5% of hubs sold or not. Syntace is only a known quantity in the European market (which ES is well aware of, and well placed to judge), not in North America.

If they

may not be cutting edge with spotting trends

then how can they be relied upon to design new standards?

Aug. 4, 2009, 1 p.m.

If they

may not be cutting edge with spotting trends

then how can they be relied upon to design new standards?

Trends and solid technical solutions usually aren't the same. The syntace guys are engineers, not marketing people.
They look at what people are buying and make a better version of it. Most of their designs are high-end, no-compromise improvements on existing technologies.
The X-12 is just a refinement of the existing 135x12 standard.

Aug. 4, 2009, 2:19 p.m.

I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing re: the bold tags. It's just his style.

thanks, my net-etiquette is crude, but I try!

Not bothered about whether it is compatible with 5% of hubs sold or not. Syntace is only a known quantity in the European market (which ES is well aware of, and well placed to judge), not in North America.

not sure about Europe, but here in the UK, Syntace is a "no-brand", it doesn't even register on the MTB rider's radar

I'm only aware of it because of my links in the industry and 25+ years of MTB riding, where I've been exposed to many different brands

in the UK, the de facto standards are Thomson, Race Face and Easton, with Sunline making some ground, and minority brands like Nickel and Reverse offering wider bars to the DH crowd, or DMR and 24-Seven offering kit to the DJ crown

we do alot of custom bike building at our shops (Freeborn Bikes) and the std. setup is Thomson X4 stem, Easton EA-70 bars and Thomson Elite seatpost, on all our import brands Ellsworth, Devinci and Mythic (Banshee UK)

We respond to our customers's needs, and Syntace has never been mentioned in any communication with a customer, and I've never really seen it in any UK mags either?

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Aug. 4, 2009, 11:49 p.m.

looks like trek will be using the standard on the new Scratch model…or it will be possible to use it.

Aug. 5, 2009, 12:15 a.m.

Isn't this what Marzocchi said when Manitou introduced 1.5" steerers?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 5, 2009, 7:28 a.m.

1.) PLEASE quote like everybody else does by using the quote tags. Bold is bold, but not a quote.

ooo, i like it.

Aug. 5, 2009, 7:33 a.m.

ooo, i like it.

New standard?