New Prescription Riding Glasses?

March 13, 2019, 3:56 a.m.

I’ve had a pair of Oakley Jawbone/Racing Jackets with Transitions lenses for the last 7 years and they have been great but unsurprisingly they are getting pretty worn and scratched.   

I could just get the same again either with the same Transitions Grey Lens or with Prizm Trail Lens, wich seem a bit a dark for BC use but I'm in the UK and reviews of users here have been good.

A change might be good - Is anyone using the new Oakley Field Jacket or on of the many variants of the Flak Jacket? 
Also looking at Smith too rather than Oakley, has anyone used the Smith Rebound or Tempo? 

The options in the UK seem a little more limited  compared to CA, Ryders aren't available, Julbo prescription availablity is spotty.

Oakley unsurprisingly omnipresent.

March 13, 2019, 9:16 a.m.

Keep in mind that glasses are super personal and anyones recommendations might not fit you equally well. I don't have the comparison with Oakley, but i have been using the Addidas Evil Eye with light orange prescription lenses for about 8 years. Best thing i ever bought for biking, skiing and general outdoor stuff. Tough, very resistant to fogging and the light orange works equally well from bright sunlight to dark woods. Can recommend if the shape fits your head.

March 13, 2019, 1:50 p.m.

Best brand is 3M safety glass /w prescription and transition lenses. Not cheap, not a fancy brand but holy Mary mother of fuck do they work well.

Edit: they're fitted to your head when you get them. Then they come in later, mine took 3 weeks.

Last edited by: BurkeMtnRider on March 13, 2019, 1:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 13, 2019, 8:46 p.m.

Posted by: Timer

Keep in mind that glasses are super personal and anyones recommendations might not fit you equally well.

this ^^ IME some wrap around frames won't hold your Rx well,  rayban wayfarers work the best for my Rx and head

March 14, 2019, 11:20 a.m.

Posted by: BurkeMtnRider

Best brand is 3M safety glass /w prescription and transition lenses. Not cheap, not a fancy brand but holy Mary mother of fuck do they work well.

Edit: they're fitted to your head when you get them. Then they come in later, mine took 3 weeks.

which model did you get?

March 14, 2019, 10:55 p.m.

I have oakley jawbones with both transition and trail lenses. Non-prescription.

The trail lenses are too dark for most days in BC - even on sunny days, they are a bit dark in the forest. They would probably be good in California or something like that.

The transitions are awesome - always.

March 15, 2019, 9:20 a.m.

IME/IMO Transition lenses don't change fast enough for trail riding in the forest and something about the reflection of light off the snow they are not good for skiing

I left a pair of glasses with transition lenses  on the widow sill in the sun behind a bug screen, in the morning they had the  pattern of the bug screen on the glasses which freaked me out but i watched the pattern dissapear in about 30 sec

March 15, 2019, 11:20 p.m.

The Oakley transitions I picked up last year seem to change faster than any pair I had ever encountered before. Changed my mind on transitions. They are less dark though and I cannot comment on snow at all. Definitely not a one lens to rule them all but pretty good in most circumstances on trails. If I was riding road on a sunny day, I'd change to a darker lens.

Last edited by: RAHrider on March 15, 2019, 11:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.