new nobby nic in 2.35

June 20, 2015, 6:05 p.m.

anyone run one of these on their bike? i haven't seen any mounted up and wondering if they have the same large volume as a hans dampf. if so, cornering/traction/durability opinions would be great.

June 20, 2015, 9:11 p.m.

Yah I just swapped mine out for a Magic Mary Trail Star which is maybe bigger than the NN my eye-ball measurement has me believing the Hans Damp Pace Star is slightly bigger than the MM*.

*Which was my experience with the DTC Nevegals which stood taller than the same size tyre in the Stick-E compound.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 20, 2015, 11:25 p.m.

i have the new knobbynic and it,s not bad can be washy in the front on hard cornering in the dry , on wetter tacky dirt not as noticeable . i was running it with a rockrazor in the back and i love that tire , can be washy on pebbly gravel , but i like it as i can get the tire to drift and i can get thru some corners faster . i also use tubes with the tires and they are a 26" and are a Pacestar version . the NN does not have the point and aim like a Minion DHF has

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 21, 2015, 12:14 a.m.

I feel like the Rock Razor is a bit too treadless. I like the idea of a Magic Mary up front and the new Nobby Nic out back. Thoughts?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 21, 2015, 12:23 a.m.

I run a Magic Mary front HD rear on my bigger bike. HD front and NN rear on the AM bike.

June 21, 2015, 8:22 a.m.

I run a Magic Mary front HD rear on my bigger bike. HD front and NN rear on the AM bike.

I was running the MM on the front with the HD on the back, switched it up a little to try the new NN on the back. The new NN of is good, perhaps a little more bite in the loose conditions we now have. No idea on the wet.
I have the snakeskin trailstar version.

Will see how it wears as compared to the HD. So far so good. The new NN is much better than the old one for riding on the shore.

June 21, 2015, 8:43 a.m.

I ran the Hans Dampf Vertstar Snakeskin front and rock razor SS pace star rear all through 2014. The Hans Dampf held up well, the rock razor was worn at some point but still offered enough traction for me somehow, even through winter. Got a bit sketchy, but was rideable.

Magic Mary Snakeskin front in trail star compound was my 2015 upgrade and a fresh rock razor for the rear as well.
MM rolls significantly slower on hardback and fire roads (I ride to the trails by bike) but also really noticeably better grip wise.

I then felt the need to try the new Nobby Nic 2.35 pace star as a rear tire and while it offers good traction I really think it rolls slow - at least if you're on a long day.

I also rode it for two days in very dry conditions in a Enduro style bike park and the center knobs now are ramped, it lost a lot of rubber. It also tended to squirm quite a bit even at 2.0bar and felt like it really wasn't made for the bermed stuff, it didn't burp but felt soft in fast and hard corners.
The rock razor has less volume but doesn't squirm as much.

I also think the tubeless ready sidewalls felt better than the tubeless easy and as dumb as it sounds the tubeless ready tires seated even easier than the tubeless easy tires with my floor pump.

Now I'm back on the MM front and RR rear combo and that's what works best for me. I stay off the rear brake as much as possible, carry speed and lean the bike.

That's all on a bad roll over, low traction 26er ;-)

Let's see how that combination will work for me in Canada in August :)

June 21, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

i just wish the spesh butcher 2.3 was substantially wider (say, like the 2.35 ikon i've got on the back) and i wouldn't even consider another tire. the magic mary is a bit too much i think for summer riding on the trail bike. i've got a used one, it will go on in winter.

June 21, 2015, 11:45 a.m.

Hans Damp was tickling the brake arch of my 454's while with the Nobbie Nic there was some clearance.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 21, 2015, 2:56 p.m.

i just wish the spesh butcher 2.3 was substantially wider (say, like the 2.35 ikon i've got on the back)

what other maxxis tires use the same casing as the ikon? the 2.35" is enormous!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 21, 2015, 3:04 p.m.

I am running the new noby nic on my nomad 3. Good grip and light too.

June 21, 2015, 10:53 p.m.

what other maxxis tires use the same casing as the ikon? the 2.35" is enormous!

Dhr2 2.4 is 61 erto

June 23, 2015, 2:58 p.m.

a pair of new 29x2.25 NN's came on my new bike. big improvement over the old ones, but they're still not really great in any department, other than weight. still an underwhelming tire for me, there are many better options.

June 23, 2015, 3:12 p.m.

Dhr2 2.4 is 61 erto

doesn't come in 29er :(

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 23, 2015, 5:57 p.m.

Interested to try the new NN. I think that MM front, NN rear would be a good combo. I've just taken off a MM front, HD rear as the HD had shed all its knobs after around 600km. Hopefully the new NN will be a bit more durable.
Love the MM up front, but it is very draggy [HTML_REMOVED] it doesn't take long for the side knobs to start folding over.
Currently running a Maxxis Shorty front [HTML_REMOVED] a Minion DHR2 rear. The Shorty is noticeably faster rolling than the MM, but grip still seems really good on a variety of surfaces. Definitely recommended.