new hub$$ and future fear

Sept. 30, 2016, 11:35 a.m.

These look like they're the cat's meow and, from what I read in the article, are apparently made to last forever no?
http://nsmb.com/true-precision-instant-silent-gold/

The Onyx hubs are also silent and very slick. They use a different sprag clutch rather than the roller clutch in the ones you mention. NOBL wheels have them.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/onyx-sprag-rear-hub-sea-otter-2015.html

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Sept. 30, 2016, 10:21 p.m.

Adaptability-wise for a solid performer investment type hub, my gut says Hope.

They've got the guns but we've got the numbers! Gonna win ya we're takin over.

Oct. 1, 2016, 6:54 a.m.

I just bought a set of Pro 4s. 135/142 size, convertible to just about any axle but boost (without non-hope adaptors).

I also have a banshee spitfire so I luckily have the option to change my dropouts to try and accommodate different standards (even though I don't see how a boost rear end on a frame not initially designed for it would help - theres not much room to make the back-end shorter).

Much like how you can still get 26'' tires 142/135 won't disappear overnight.

slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Oct. 1, 2016, 10:29 a.m.

Unless the goal is fancy ano colours, Hope does not equal bling. I have a set of Hope hubs on my DH bike, they're okay. Replaced a set of 240s. Have 240s CL with 36t ratchet, XD ratchet and solid RWS on my hard tail. wishlist is a ceremony bearing kit for the hub set.

Onyx website isn't that great. Their FB page shows a lot of their crazy hub colours. They're pretty darn quick to respond to emails.

Haven't price checked Onyx to King yet.

Tune has some radical hubs. No idea if parts/servicing is readily available.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 1, 2016, 10:35 a.m.

Anyone know what it is exactly about Boost 148 spacing that makes it so you can't add some sort of 3mm spacers to make a 142mm fit?

I feel like I missed the technical memo.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Oct. 1, 2016, 10:35 a.m.

SuperBoost makes so much more sense (ankle clearance aside) than Boost that I'd be a surprise if we don't see it. Up to Sram/Trek/Specialized I guess

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Oct. 1, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

Anyone know what it is exactly about Boost 148 spacing that makes it so you can't add some sort of 3mm spacers to make a 142mm fit?

I feel like I missed the technical memo.

You can add spacers to make it fit the width of the hub. You have to remember that the flanges have been moved out 3mm each way. You would also need to space out your disc by 3mm and accommodate the 3mm difference in chainline as well. There are adapters available out there for some hubs that allow you to run a 142mm hub on a boost frame.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/wider-and-stiffer-but-necessary-boost-148-explained/

Oct. 1, 2016, 10:43 a.m.

Unless the goal is fancy ano colours, Hope does not equal bling. I have a set of Hope hubs on my DH bike, they're okay. Replaced a set of 240s. Have 240s CL with 36t ratchet, XD ratchet and solid RWS on my hard tail. wishlist is a ceremony bearing kit for the hub set.

Onyx website isn't that great. Their FB page shows a lot of their crazy hub colours. They're pretty darn quick to respond to emails.

Haven't price checked Onyx to King yet.

Tune has some radical hubs. No idea if parts/servicing is readily available.

Onyx to King is about $50 for both hubs. There isnt alot of price difference in it I dont think.

Oct. 1, 2016, 10:54 a.m.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/wider-and-stiffer-but-necessary-boost-148-explained/

"[With 142 millimeter hubs] the distance between the two dropouts on the frame is still 135 millimeters, with an extra 3.5 millimeters of inset on each side built into the frame dropout.

Boost 148 adds 3mm of spacing on each side of the hub. But unlike the 3.5mm difference from 135mm to 142mm, Boost 148 sees an increase in flange spacing, not just axle endcap width."

So, fuck.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Oct. 1, 2016, 10:55 a.m.

^ I didn't think so. Be awesome if QBP started carrying Boost CL Onyx hubs.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 2, 2016, 12:17 a.m.

"[With 142 millimeter hubs] the distance between the two dropouts on the frame is still 135 millimeters, with an extra 3.5 millimeters of inset on each side built into the frame dropout.

Boost 148 adds 3mm of spacing on each side of the hub. But unlike the 3.5mm difference from 135mm to 142mm, Boost 148 sees an increase in flange spacing, not just axle endcap width."

So, fuck.

You could make 142 work in a boost frame, a bit hackish, but it will work mostly fine for all intents and purposes

Oct. 2, 2016, 9:16 a.m.

Whats the advantage of instant engagement outside of racing and wheelie drops?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 2, 2016, 9:21 p.m.

hard to say with any precision, but anecdotally i think it makes ratcheting pedal strokes more effective (quicker, better balance) over tech features and just feels better. the engagement isn't only instant on these hubs, but has a really cool feel, ever so slightly soft. no metallic bang. a couple of elite riders i know don't think of fast engagement hubs to even be an upgrade so it's all a matter of personal preference. some just don't care. i've bitten the bullet and gone all in. Nobl wheels on Nobl/Onyx hubs coming this week for the wife's bike. mashoosive upgrade on her mid spec rig. she will probably ride it for 5 or more years. how's that for a bday present…

Oct. 3, 2016, 6:25 a.m.

When you try it you'll see. Especially when you go back to a regular style ratcheting hub, it just feels broken.

Oct. 3, 2016, 7:18 p.m.

So, fuck.

Sounds like to me you could still put a 142 in a 148 as long as the necessary chainring offset doesn't lead to tyre rub and you're ok with the bracing angle you already have.

They've got the guns but we've got the numbers! Gonna win ya we're takin over.