New fork time - 29er 140mm travel

July 31, 2015, 10:56 a.m.

i'll join the pike choir. only fork i can imagine riding on a hardtail that is a daily driver

that said, despite the cost, i'd buy new. warranty support is nice

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 31, 2015, 1:59 p.m.

I have friends who are really great wheal builders. Running Stan 29er Flow rims with 14 gauge spokes. The only part that really gets the shit kicked out of it by me are free hubs. Running Hope Hubs for a couple of years and replaced 4 steel freehub bodies. I'll eventually upgrade to a Chris King.

So all you manufactures who want to torture Test your bike parts under a fat bastard, I'm for hire. : )

I'll be in your hood for the next 4 days. Really sorry to hear about Thirsty Beaver. One of the best trails out there. Hopefully i'll ride it couple of times over the next few days. If you see a fat bastard also known as Sheldon, on a Chromag Rootdown say hi, it's likely me.

I am 260 and have the same issue. I went King a few years back and have not had an issue, they are awesome…well worth the price if you go through freehubs IMO.

July 31, 2015, 2:56 p.m.

yeah .. i don't know how to classify my riding, since i don't believe in xc / am / trail / enduro. it's all just mountain biking. clip in, go fast.

the 34 suited all my needs, knowing the evo damper was going to be an avalanche cart. but creaky csu = more money …
i just ordered a rc3 pike from my Lbs for a killer deal, so next week i'll be happy. 1 week of creak creak creak.

July 31, 2015, 3:22 p.m.

I'll sell you my Marz 44 Micro Ti cheap like Borscht!

(then I'm going to buy a Pike…)

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 31, 2015, 4:24 p.m.

Suntour forks are surprisingly good too.

I am really happy with my Auron 27.5 RC2. Would have no hesitation running the 29 version.

Aug. 6, 2015, 4:01 p.m.

I am 260 and have the same issue. I went King a few years back and have not had an issue, they are awesome…well worth the price if you go through freehubs IMO.

Thats good to know. Not Sure this Hope hub of mine is going to take one more faliure. Last one left some nasty scoring.

Master of Puppets

Aug. 6, 2015, 4:08 p.m.
  • heavy - bigger guy +200pounds on a good day, pushing 215 right now.

• hardtail - The surface is my only bike

• primary XC with some AM/Enduro - Looking for a trail fork that can do nice mellow XC with typical island rooty
    trails, to more 'enduro' style dh rides on the island, squamish and the lower mainland

Seriously - all the Pike 'must-have' is a bit overdone.

Unless you like to spend money. If it is a 29er and you want more adjustability, then try the new Fox Float 36. It has 6mm less axle-to-crown than the Pike.

Go get a used 140 Revelation. Plenty stiff. Quite plush. Easy to service.
Cheap.

No, it is not as stiff as a Pike or Float 36. But it serves lots of smiles and can be had for less than 1/3 the price of other options.

If you are going to be primary AM/Enduro, then I would say get something stiffer.

But for "Looking for a trail fork that can do nice mellow XC with typical island rooty
trails", I say a Revelation at 140 is more than enough. Even at 120 or 130 it will be a good match.

I'm going have to disagree with you on the Revelation. I had one on my Transition Transam 29er. Horrible Fork. As I stated in my previous post I'm a fat bastard. As soon as it got rock garden rough, it would over whelm the fork and it would just pack up. The axel drove me nuts as well. The only way I could keep the axel from backing out was to tighten the shit out of the little screw on the quick realease which would then deafeat the purpose of having a quick realease. I have none of these issues with either one of my Pike Forks. I would probably be just as happy with a Fox 36, but I haven't ridden one yet.

Master of Puppets

Aug. 6, 2015, 4:37 p.m.

Pike, Pike, Pike…

Having said that, I have a fox 34 140 MM tapered that I would sell cheap…

Aug. 6, 2015, 5:56 p.m.

A while back I picked up a f34 float rlc for my bike and like it quite a bit. I like the old rlc foxes because that's what I'm used to and auspensionwerx works on them. But if I'd had the cabbage I probably would have got a pike.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 6, 2015, 6:22 p.m.

well, so far i like the pike better than the 34 i had. only a VERY short setup ride over a very rooty trail, but it soaked up the roots like a champ. off to Cumby tomorrow to break the fork in properly.

Aug. 6, 2015, 8:11 p.m.

well, so far i like the pike better than the 34 i had. only a VERY short setup ride over a very rooty trail, but it soaked up the roots like a champ. off to Cumby tomorrow to break the fork in properly.

Stop bragging.
;)

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 6, 2015, 9:03 p.m.

Stop bragging.
;)

well .. it wasn't an RLC … it was a CTD EVO

Aug. 7, 2015, 10:16 a.m.

The RLC is quite a bit nicer than the CTD evo. I to quite liked the RLC damper for smaller travel forks.