new fork old fork

Oct. 30, 2016, 8 p.m.

i've got an xfusion vengeance hlr (20mm axle, 36mm stanchions) on my patrol. i'm the only owner of it, it's been well maintained. overall, i reckon it's a pretty good fork, by all interweb accounts, it was well lauded in it's day.

what am i missing by not riding a new super fork like a fox 36 or new lyric? anyone have xperience on a lyric as well as a vengeance? it looks like there's a substantial weight diff, but performance is hard to quantify without first hand experience.

Oct. 30, 2016, 8:29 p.m.

Vengeance was top tier in its day, like in 2010. I had one too. Pros: great chassis, stiff, reliable. Cons: damping is old school. A newer fork is light years ahead in damping feel/performance, but that doesn't really translate to speed. Almost every new fork will outshine it in compression damping but at the same time it seems mostly every new fork creaks.

Oct. 30, 2016, 11:49 p.m.

Vengeance was top tier in its day, like in 2010. I had one too. Pros: great chassis, stiff, reliable. Cons: damping is old school. A newer fork is light years ahead in damping feel/performance, but that doesn't really translate to speed. Almost every new fork will outshine it in compression damping but at the same time it seems mostly every new fork creaks.

I agree.. if you have tried any of the newer forks like fox with newer rc2/fit4 damper or rs with charger damper, the difference in performance over their older counterparts is quite dramatic. But you do have weigh the cost benefits of upgrading an older bike vs applying the $$$ towards a newer bike

Oct. 31, 2016, 5:25 a.m.

Vengeance HLR is still a very good fork.

Blows the piss out of current midrange Rockshox and Fox offerings.

I still have one on one of my bikes, am original owner. I could see maybe upgrading to a Roughcut damper later, if possible, but it's not a huge concern.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Nov. 1, 2016, 8:19 a.m.

Running a 2016 Fox 36… Creaking CSU… Looking for somewhere to burn it.:crybaby:

Nov. 1, 2016, 8:22 a.m.

Try Loctite 290 on it. It helps often!

Nov. 1, 2016, 8:27 a.m.

Running a 2016 Fox 36… Creaking CSU… Looking for somewhere to burn it.:crybaby:

No warranty?

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Nov. 1, 2016, 2:28 p.m.

Are you saying to drip it in around the CSU (when the bike is upside down) or remove the uppers and re-install with Loctite?

Nov. 1, 2016, 9:40 p.m.

i'm in the same situation. 2010 Lyrik uturn coil.

I'd love to have a new Lyrik or 36 but I just don't know how much better these new air forks are going to feel in comparison to my old coil that still works fine.

Toying with buying the charger damper that can retrofit an old Lyrik but that's like $300 alone….

Not to mention there's really no 26" versions of forks available so i'd be running a 27.5 on my Nomad MK2 until I moved it over to a new frame.

Other option is just save money and buy a whole new bike at some stage.

Nov. 2, 2016, 7:22 a.m.

I wouldn't necessarily replace a five year old fork for better performance, although newer ones are better, but because it has five years of riding it it and is getting fatigued. I can speak from experience that the consequences of fork breakage can be terrible.

Nov. 2, 2016, 7:40 a.m.

On one of my bikes I'm running a 1999 Marzocchi 140mm Z1 QR20. I thought it'd be terrible but it's actually OK! I've not really noticed the fork when going downhill which is a good thing. Sure it's not in same league as my 2015 fork but that's not to say that it's bad. The main thing I notice with old Vs new is that the low speed compression works much better on new forks. I can go uphill with minimal bobbing, turn around and rip down with no adjusting and have a nice open feeling fork. Although that said, the small bump compliance with a twin coil open bath fork is pretty amazing ha…

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 2, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

I took the fork off and hung it CSU facing down and applied green locktite with 2 reapplications, letting it set in for 5 days…
Stopped creaking for 2 rides.

Nov. 2, 2016, 8:54 a.m.

No warranty?

Bought a 2015 Range 7.1C on pinkbike with the 2016 Fox 36 @ 170mm. No receipt for the fork and the guy who sold it to me is elusive on where he sourced it…

Here's what I clicked on to lead me to where I am:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1850683/

Nov. 2, 2016, 8:58 a.m.

JBV, sorry, not trying to make your question about me. What I am saying is that the new forks have not worked out all of their 'bugs' and a functioning solid fork is nothing to take for granted, which is what you are running.
As stated by other replies, my biggest fear is this POS Fox failing and going OTB on some drop. Buying new gives you the 12 month warranty option but laying out 1200 bones for a fork to play CSU roulette is just that.

Nov. 2, 2016, 9:16 a.m.

I think forks must still be designed for going down Californian fireroads. Part of me wonders if we will see the return of lightweight dual crown forks (Maverick, that Specialized thing etc.. ). The whole creaking CSU thing on long single crown forks is a bit of a (bad) joke. That said, my Suntour Auron has been creak free for a couple of years.

treezz
wow you are a ass