New Flat Shoes Needed!!

July 30, 2014, 8:48 p.m.

After 7 years of riding my trusty 5-Ten Impacts have died :crybaby:
I know a lot of new shoes have come out since the Impact and I wondering how the new shoes stack up.

I am leaning towards the New Impact VXi

5 ten impact vxi

Specialized 2FO Flat Shoe

Shimano AM41

Teva Links

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

July 30, 2014, 9:27 p.m.

take a look at the 5/10 freerider been using them for several months no and i like them , i wish the tongue was like the impacts as it keeps dirt out better but none the less a decent shoe

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/13888-freerider-vxi-charcoal-grey

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 30, 2014, 10:32 p.m.

freerider vxi best flat shoe i have had yet

July 31, 2014, 12:05 a.m.

If they're essentially the same as last yrs Impact Hightop…Awesome:)

July 31, 2014, 3:58 a.m.

I have heard the Freeride are no good for when you have to walk. No traction for hike a bike sections

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

July 31, 2014, 5:20 a.m.

Ive got the freerider elements.

good shoe.

NO issue walking, but I assume youre talking about the ones with the smooth sole. I call bullshit on no traction with stealth rubber.

One other thing I noticed on their website, is sole repair kits,where you can put stealth rubber on ANY shoe. I might have to try this on my ol' DC shoes which were a favorite of mine to ride in,but the soles got too slippery.

Pastor of Muppets

July 31, 2014, 5:50 a.m.

they work very well for walking even with the large area lacking tread , lighter to walk in as well when compared to the Impact

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 31, 2014, 9:10 a.m.

I should have been more specific, I talking about walking up steep muddy hills. I know the impact dose not have a a ton of tread but it would still climb better then a bald shoe. BTW do you find bald spot to be too grippy?

July 31, 2014, 9:38 a.m.

I should have been more specific, I talking about walking up steep muddy hills. I know the impact dose not have a a ton of tread but it would still climb better then a bald shoe. BTW do you find bald spot to be too grippy?

like anything you get used to it. It is so much lighter and perfect stiffness for a flat pedal shoe. Can't recommend enough.

:canada:

July 31, 2014, 2:18 p.m.

I'm riding the VXi Impacts and they are awesome. Improved in every way over the last generation Impacts. I also ride the Freerider XVi and they are solid too, but not really a replacement for the Impact.

Aug. 1, 2014, 10:40 a.m.

there is tread in the toe area of the sole , i think they climb better then a impact due to they flex better in the sole . i have removed studs in my pedals as they do stick very well to the pedals .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 1, 2014, 11:06 a.m.

You guys are mixing up the original freeriders with the xvi version

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 1, 2014, 12:23 p.m.

freerider VXI

freerider(original)

Aug. 1, 2014, 12:39 p.m.

How do you find they fit compared to the original impacts? I have wide feet and the impacts stretched out very nicely

Aug. 5, 2014, 10:25 a.m.

The Freestyle VXI's have made me not miss clipless in all but very few situations. They're light, stiff enough that you don't feel like your hard pedal efforts are being absorbed into a pillowy soft nothingness, grippy as frig and I haven't had any issues with sliding around walking on wet stuff…mind you I haven't been on any overly saturated wet stuff. I suppose hiking out of a creekbed or something might get a bit wack…not sure.

I tried on the Freestyles as well but they felt way too soft (more like a skate shoe) so I went with the VXI's as I wanted something with more pedaling efficiency.

Wrong. Always.