new dh bike?

Nov. 9, 2008, 6:22 p.m.

I would say that for a complex linkage system which soaks up the chatter of Whistler nicely, as you pointed out you will be doing a lot of riding there, I would choose a VPP or 4-bar design myself. It's whistler and you will be using the brakes. Obviously if you want to stick with a Norco they run a solid FSR linkage but in my mind if you want a bike that looks good I would personally pass on the '09 Norcos, I would also like to see how durable they are with the new lighter frames. I would say that a Giant Glory is one of the best DH bikes you could choose for the bike park. It's a tough frame and the maestro system soaks up the bumps under braking and all. Life time warranty, and a competative price for a high quality frame is why you see a lot of them in the bike park. I don't think I would run a first year Session 88 for a bike that will see a lot of bike park action.

.:NSTP:.

Nov. 9, 2008, 7:23 p.m.

IMO

Demo - Suspension works very well but the whole sub seatstay design is a bit of a gimmick IMO. Long front centre/short chainstay geometry which to me feels a bit odd, especially going quick at Whistler. Reliable pivots with sealed bearing rear shock bush - no DU to wear out. Not too heavy.

Glory - FR geometry is a joke. Stupidly short front centre, head angle too steep by about 3 degrees etc. DH version is better but weighs as much as a small car, but basically indestructible and stable at high speed.

Trek 88 - Good geometry. Good suspension but really just a single pivot with active braking. Doubts regarding durability. A light minimal frame for light guys ?

Commencal DH Supreme - Haven't ridden one but it's a heavy. The geometry is killer on paper at least though.

Iron Horse Sunday - Head angles a bit steep IMO and the travel isn't your normal bottomless feeling DH monster. Quite light and pedals well though.

Is there anything else on the market ? LOL. I guess if you've got the funds there's other options like a Laperre DH230, V-10 or new Turner DHR etc. I'd actually be tempted to buy something secondhand to get you though the year as next year that new Glory and new Santa Cruz mini V-10 will hit the market. Plus Specialized will probably have something for Hill that I'm sure will also be production.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 9, 2008, 7:32 p.m.

Devinci.

Nov. 9, 2008, 8:42 p.m.

Bushings.

;)

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 9, 2008, 9:09 p.m.

Bushings.

;)

JCL is right. What would the big "S" have to say about bushings

hisssssssssssssssssss……….lol

Nov. 9, 2008, 11:53 p.m.

I personally disagree with the claim on the 05 Giant DH as a perfect Whistler bike. It is a wicked cornering bike, and it ride on the brakes pretty good, but it can be a maintenance nightmare. Unless you manufacture your own DU's, and like pulling suspension apart to loctite it all the time.
The glory is for sure way more durable. The weight of a small car comes with as with most durable bikes.
I guess which of the three are your preference? Durable, Light, or Cheap? sounds like durable and cheap, in which case the Glory is a good bet.
The new Devinci's have gone back to needle bearings and don't have the grease ports anymore.
I have no experience on the comencal.
Demo is light, and pretty durable but not cheap.

Nov. 10, 2008, 9:30 a.m.

Devinci-bushings bad.
Plus their butted tubing/grease port positioning means that forcing the grease in the port where the tube is thinnest forces it to crack! Trust me, a friend of mine just got one at the end of last year and it happened with the replacement too.

devinci is back to needle bearings for 09 and are replacing all 08 bushings with needle bearings free of charge.

i will 2nd a wilson. those bikes feeel amazing!!!!

Nov. 10, 2008, 10:14 a.m.

devinci is back to needle bearings for 09 and are replacing all 08 bushings with needle bearings free of charge.

i will 2nd a wilson. those bikes feeel amazing!!!!

About time ! The bikes look good and I'm sure the bushings were putting people off.

- Morgman

Nov. 10, 2008, 10:57 a.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=115087

this is pretty much perfect condition

Nov. 15, 2008, 10:49 a.m.

IMO

Demo - Suspension works very well but the whole sub seatstay design is a bit of a gimmick IMO. Long front centre/short chainstay geometry which to me feels a bit odd, especially going quick at Whistler. Reliable pivots with sealed bearing rear shock bush - no DU to wear out. Not too heavy.

Glory - FR geometry is a joke. Stupidly short front centre, head angle too steep by about 3 degrees etc. DH version is better but weighs as much as a small car, but basically indestructible and stable at high speed.

Trek 88 - Good geometry. Good suspension but really just a single pivot with active braking. Doubts regarding durability. A light minimal frame for light guys ?

Commencal DH Supreme - Haven't ridden one but it's a heavy. The geometry is killer on paper at least though.

Iron Horse Sunday - Head angles a bit steep IMO and the travel isn't your normal bottomless feeling DH monster. Quite light and pedals well though.

Is there anything else on the market ? LOL. I guess if you've got the funds there's other options like a Laperre DH230, V-10 or new Turner DHR etc. I'd actually be tempted to buy something secondhand to get you though the year as next year that new Glory and new Santa Cruz mini V-10 will hit the market. Plus Specialized will probably have something for Hill that I'm sure will also be production.

commencal 39.8 out of the box, our team riders built them to 37lb easily

Canada's Largest Super D, DH and 4X race series
www.sirbikealotracing.com

Nov. 19, 2008, 7:56 p.m.

I personally disagree with the claim on the 06 Giant DH as a perfect Whistler bike. It is a wicked cornering bike, and it ride on the brakes pretty good, but it can be a maintenance nightmare. Unless you manufacture your own DU's, and like pulling suspension apart to loctite it all the time.
The glory is for sure way more durable. The weight of a small car comes with as with most durable bikes.
I guess which of the three are your preference? Durable, Light, or Cheap? sounds like durable and cheap, in which case the Glory is a good bet.
The new Devinci's have gone back to needle bearings and don't have the grease ports anymore.
I have no experience on the comencal.
Demo is light, and pretty durable but not cheap.

am i wrong that glory's started in 06?

brokezors

Nov. 19, 2008, 8:19 p.m.

commencal 39.8 out of the box, our team riders built them to 37lb easily

How did Gee's end up weighing 40lb ?

- Morgman

Nov. 19, 2008, 9:31 p.m.

I wish I could say, the SAINT stuff on it but even that is much lighter now.

Nov. 20, 2008, 4:46 p.m.

IMO

I found the demo 8 really comfortable at speeds (my first actual ride on mine was at whistler). What i did notice was that it felt strange in the air, but i quickly adapted to the feel. The bike is probably one of the better cornering dh bikes out there, with the super short chain stay, really low COG, and pretty low bb height.

Nov. 20, 2008, 5:05 p.m.

Is there anything else on the market ?

your kidding right? So many wicked bikes right now…..I would buy a used Shocker if I had to stay sub 2k for the frame. Thats the best frame around if you wanna race bike/whistler bike that'll last all year and has a proven track record.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com